Engine management light and recent MOT rule changes  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Oct 1st, 2012 01:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Favell
Trade Member

Mana: 
At the last seminar I was at, the man from VOSA said that they weren't planning on introducing the engine MIL as a fail item 'as any engine management faults would show up on the emissions test'.

Mind you they/we are being dictated to more and more by Brussels.:(

Fav

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Sep 30th, 2012 06:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Slimy38

Mana: 
Thanks to both of you, that makes things a whole lot simpler.

Posted: Sun Sep 30th, 2012 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
mick1960

Mana: 
Hi
no the engine management light is not part of the test yet and to be honest I cannot see them ever being so, The reason is that of some cars vauxhall for instance the management light can come on for a faulty oxygen sensor heater circuit although the CO readings will be perfect.a slight drop in signal from a crank or cam sensor will bring it on although the ecu's on many cars are smart enough to keep the car running. The old rovers(200,400 etc) would run without a coolant temp sensor, the ecu would assume a coolant temp of 80c and fuel accordingly, they may be difficult to start but once caught on the throttle after 5 mins they run perfectly,and pass the emission test. Mercs and VWs which will bring it on if the ECU finds the Co reading I drifting slightly (from the second after oxygen sensor), although its still a pass.
I sometimes wonder who is bringing in the rules and have they ever worked on a car or have knowledge of modern fueling and emission systems.
IF it did come in I would have no problem with you resetting it and representing it,to me its the same as you replacing a stop bulb.

Posted: Sun Sep 30th, 2012 01:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
MOTman
Super Moderator

Mana: 
It isn't in the test. Don't worry about it.

Might come into the test in the next few years though.....

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2012 11:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Slimy38

Mana: 
Hi, I have a SEAT Toledo that has an intermittent engine management light come on. I've checked the code and it refers to the secondary air injection, an incorrect flow is detected. Secondary air injection is only used to warm the car up quicker, which ties in with when I see the code. It only appears perhaps once every half a dozen journey starts, and if I reset it using a reader it doesn't reappear for the rest of that journey.

Now knowing my luck it will come on when the MOT tester moves my car into the test bay. So a couple of questions. First, is an engine management light an MOT failure now? There was mention of new rules coming in this year, I can't find out whether the EML is part of the MIL checks that are now part of the MOT. Second, if it is, would the MOT tester allow me to reset the code on the car park and re-present it immediately?

I should point out that I have no other warning light issues, so ABS, ESP, seatbelt lights etc all come on with the ignition then go off after a second or two.

Current time is 11:12 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT > Engine management light and recent MOT rule changes Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1936 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.