Mana: 
totally agree Paul ;)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Mar 2nd, 2008 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
paul20v

Mana: 
GrimReaper wrote: umm ???   who said "fluffy dice" ??  the point remains the same....IF motorists are NOT supposed to block parts of the screen, Neither should anybody else, Taxi drivers or Police Drivers.... its supposedly about Safety...... how can they see any better than normal drivers? they cannot..... and when you think about Taxi Drivers, its more important that they are safer... they carry passengers... a lot of drivers dont.....they use car for back and forth work (solo).

Had this discussion on another web based Car forum, and something that came up there, is cars that have been modified... lowered rooflines... so drivers see through Letter Box windscreens..... how is that not unsafe? my screen is huge at the front, its an MPV... but "could" fail, if tester feels vision blocked by "air freshener"... yet pass a car with a 12" front windscreen..... it seems to be another " crazy " Vosa addition to the MOT. Blocked or obstructed vision is just that... regardless of vehicle type or driver....
i agree there should be nothing in the view including taxi signs ,but the testing guide says they are allowed as long as they dont adverselly effect the drivers view, taxi signs that is, so why fail a sat nav , or a fluffy dice or air freshener , its double standards fail all of it or non of it, and sorry i meant fluffy dice and air fresheners are a fail

Last edited on Sun Mar 2nd, 2008 10:06 pm by paul20v

Posted: Sun Mar 2nd, 2008 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
GrimReaper

Mana: 
umm ???   who said "fluffy dice" ??  the point remains the same....IF motorists are NOT supposed to block parts of the screen, Neither should anybody else, Taxi drivers or Police Drivers.... its supposedly about Safety...... how can they see any better than normal drivers? they cannot..... and when you think about Taxi Drivers, its more important that they are safer... they carry passengers... a lot of drivers dont.....they use car for back and forth work (solo).

Had this discussion on another web based Car forum, and something that came up there, is cars that have been modified... lowered rooflines... so drivers see through Letter Box windscreens..... how is that not unsafe? my screen is huge at the front, its an MPV... but "could" fail, if tester feels vision blocked by "air freshener"... yet pass a car with a 12" front windscreen..... it seems to be another " crazy " Vosa addition to the MOT. Blocked or obstructed vision is just that... regardless of vehicle type or driver....

Last edited on Sun Mar 2nd, 2008 09:34 pm by GrimReaper

Posted: Sun Mar 2nd, 2008 09:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
paul20v

Mana: 
GrimReaper wrote: Hi,

I read what is allowed and not, and also where,  the rear view mirror, is set high on my car, way above the swipe of my wipers, even with a dangly air freshener, it still does not encroach, the screen swipe...... the area shown on VOSA picture.

The tester was wrong... according to VOSA tester manual.

The point I was asking is with what VOSA state, and what a tester decides, what about the Police handing out air fresheners that the TV News clip showed being placed on internal rear view mirrors to remind drivers to take SatNavs out when not in use, they are encouraging drivers , depending on vehicle to block or obstruct part of their vision, or is it OK, as it has a Police Badge associated with it.

Like I say. if the Mot law is the law , then most sat navs, and taxi screens, are also breaking said Mot law, yet can be seen every minute of everyday in use... 

Whats the point of a safety part of the MOT ( vision obstructed ) being in place, if nobody adheres to it or enforces it, other than at the once yearly Mot time, where said items are simply removed for test... and then replaced once home again ??

Suppose it comes down to the same rule with Mobile phones... drivers arent allowed to use non hands free mobiles, but Police and Taxi drivers can still be seen, holding radio hand sets or "mikes" whilst talking to base and driving at sametime.

or Maybe... I am just too fussy.
taxi signs are stated that unless they are seriously effecting the view of the road they are not a reason for rejection,as permits tax disc and other official stickers are not a reason for refusing a test ,as are the fluffy dice and the air freshener if its in the drivers view of the windscreen over 40mm out of zone a ,  sat navs on the other hand are a fail if in the swept area ,   my argument is if you are what i call a steering wheel hugger the fluffy dice is not in your view althought its in the view of the tester when he move s the seat back

Last edited on Sun Mar 2nd, 2008 10:02 pm by paul20v

Posted: Fri Feb 29th, 2008 03:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jon

Mana: 
I am for my sins a radio ham and yes it is legal for me to use whilst driving using hand held microphone, but illegal to use phone, another bit of silly laws.

Jon

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2008 11:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
i always give the presenter the chance to remove air freshners and sat nav mount brackets prior to mot..that are promptly put back in place by presenters after mot:?daft

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2008 08:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi, We dont make the rules we just enforce them I'm afraid.

Hand held Two way radios are exempt form the mobile phone laws.

As are liceensed operators, Daft isnt it?

kev

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2008 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
smtester

Mana: 
The vosa picture shows zone "A" greyed out, anything encroaching the remainder of swept area by more than 40mm, sticky or dangly is fail, totally agree these things shouldn't be hanging up there and police shouldn't be encouraging it. Unfortunatley motoring law and mot regs not always the same.

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2008 05:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
GrimReaper

Mana: 
Hi,

I read what is allowed and not, and also where,  the rear view mirror, is set high on my car, way above the swipe of my wipers, even with a dangly air freshener, it still does not encroach, the screen swipe...... the area shown on VOSA picture.

The tester was wrong... according to VOSA tester manual.

The point I was asking is with what VOSA state, and what a tester decides, what about the Police handing out air fresheners that the TV News clip showed being placed on internal rear view mirrors to remind drivers to take SatNavs out when not in use, they are encouraging drivers , depending on vehicle to block or obstruct part of their vision, or is it OK, as it has a Police Badge associated with it.

Like I say. if the Mot law is the law , then most sat navs, and taxi screens, are also breaking said Mot law, yet can be seen every minute of everyday in use... 

Whats the point of a safety part of the MOT ( vision obstructed ) being in place, if nobody adheres to it or enforces it, other than at the once yearly Mot time, where said items are simply removed for test... and then replaced once home again ??

Suppose it comes down to the same rule with Mobile phones... drivers arent allowed to use non hands free mobiles, but Police and Taxi drivers can still be seen, holding radio hand sets or "mikes" whilst talking to base and driving at sametime.

or Maybe... I am just too fussy.

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2008 05:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
smtester

Mana: 
Is it bigger 40mm 

a Windscreen sticker or obstruction encroaching more than 40mm

Posted: Tue Feb 26th, 2008 11:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
GrimReaper

Mana: 
Hi,

Recently Police in Hastings area have been handing out hanging air fresheners, which remind drivers to remove Sat Navs when parking car up... nice little message on them, they hang on rear view mirror.

But on my last MOT I was asked to remove my air fresheners from rear view mirror, Prior the car going in, Tester gave me change to remove them, which obviously I did, no point trying to argue....

So are they legal or not... if they are NOT ok for an MOT why do Police hand them out, surely "they" more than most should understand the road safety issues?

And... if air fresheners are a failure...(blocking vision etc), then most screen suction mounted Sat Navs, and Taxi screens, are also illegal?

I have never been asked to remove air fresheners ever before.. and I have been driving a few decades now... or is this simply an over zealous tester... worried about VOSA... he spent two hours in total on my Car...arrived at 10am left at 12pm. Car passed, as previously stated on other Topic here, and I have since replaced the air fresheners.. as I dont see how they are an MOT failure... if they are, then dirty , sandy rain water or muddy water, which blocks some of my windscreen that the wipers dont reach could also be considered a fail?... where does this end??...

Just interested if any other tester has failed or asked for these to be removed? 

They are not large etc...just standard Halfords mirror hangers...

Just answered my own question here I think....

Seems, the internal rear view mirror is NOT in the swipe area, nor are the hanging fresheners  blocking my vision... tester over zealous...and inexperienced me thinks.

Current time is 08:22 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT > Hanging Air Fresheners Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1971 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 29 queries executed.