Imported cars with no V5 or number plate  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 11:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
yeah , he is also a mate of mine as well as a customer at work , i have been helping him out with his project car :)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 11:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
nicknak
Trade Member

Mana: 
If it comes with the plates on it, regardless of its registered status you test what you see. Ok so it wont find a match as its not there so you will have created a new record. Eventually the record will catch up with it wont it, I spose what I am saying does it matter who creates the record as long as its right. This must be happening all the time without you actually knowing it. How many people tell you what they are up to, in your case it sound like you have a working relationship with the presenter and they are keeping you up to speed.

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 11:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Forgot to add the last bit...

DVLA will then issue a replacement VT20 with the private reg on.

:)

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 10:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
thought it might be something like that but wanted to check first , cheers :)

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 10:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi kev

here's how it goes...

Because the car is an import it will get an age related registration from DVLA - but first it needs an MOT to prove it's roadworthy.

So, it's tested with no registration displayed.

Then DVLA issue an age related registration and a new V5

Then customer submits cherished transfer for private plate.

Then DVLA amends the record to show the private plate.

It's a no no because the private plate can be transferred from one vehicle to another - the car will need an age related DVLA record first.

Posted: Sun Apr 27th, 2008 10:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
kev1975 wrote: i would be keen to know the answer to this one as well , one of our customers has recently bought a 1987 carlton GSi , the car was imported from the isle of man & has never been uk registered.

he was apparently told that it would need an mot before it could be registered .

i now have another question regarding this vehicle , the customer has now bought a private reg plate to go on the car , he has had the plates made up & the reg number will be going on the car when it is registered .

the plate is on retention until it gets registered to the car.

if he brings the car in with this plate on it will the reg be able to be entered onto the system for the mot before he has registered the car ?

or is that a no no?

Posted: Sun Apr 13th, 2008 04:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
firstly,they generally come with paperwork signed off by the jap equivelent of a magistrate(the chances of a stolen/ringed jap import are far lower than a uk vehicle for example)second,first use date is an issue for dvla not us-you take your best guess ie you test whats in front of you.if you want a challenge try registering a pre 80 import.no plates,no vin(not required at that age...)all good fun...

Posted: Fri Apr 11th, 2008 11:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
RFR

Mana: 
Re jap imports, can you be "sure be sure" that the dates on the belts is correct, lean manufacturing or not, this vehicle has come from the other side of the world, who knows what has happened to it, are they the original belts etc. Good idea, but surely if no evidence of paper work to show date of registration or the earlier of either date of first registration or the date six months after it was manufactured then surely leave it outside. The presenter must surely have some paperwork to prove age. 

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 11:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Stealth wrote:

Yeah but.... that could well be the date of manufacture of the seat belt ........:shock:

:P Tongue firmly in cheek Kev  :)

Last edited on Thu Apr 10th, 2008 11:38 pm by Stealth

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
911mot

Mana: 
Cheers for the info guys. Nice to know I can carry on doing them without having to look over my shoulder so to speak...

As regards dates I guess I'm lucky. They're straight from the boat so they come with export certificate that has all the data on it:dude:

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Stealth,

Yes, but we only need the approx year.

So, as All Jap car makers work using lean production, the chances of a seat belt being in stock at the factory is nil ,they are called off by the manufacturer when required. The reason is, in Japan the belts have to be changed when the car reaches a certain age (as do many other parts, Thats why we get them here) so worst case it can only be one year out. and thats if the car is made in Jan/Feb. This only applies to Jap Cars by the way, for the Japanese market.

And yes , Sadly, I worked for Toyota (on parts delivery) at the Toyota Plant in Derby, and seat belts were part of my job.

So in summing up, better to go by the date on the belts, and common sense than guess, Wouldn't you agree?

PS. If you or have a better practical way let us know! Always open to suggestions

Kev

Last edited on Thu Apr 10th, 2008 08:33 pm by KevG

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 06:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
KevG wrote: Rebel/Stealth,

I have done a lot of these, If its a Jap import it will have a label on the seat belts that states the date of manufacture, I found it useful a few times. nbThe label is white and sewn onto the belt  normally at the outer lower anchor point.

Hope this helps your approx date problem.

Kev

Yeah but.... that could well be the date of manufacture of the seat belt ........:shock:

Posted: Thu Apr 10th, 2008 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Rebel/Stealth,

I have done a lot of these, If its a Jap import it will have a label on the seat belts that states the date of manufacture, I found it useful a few times.

N.B. The label is white cloth and is sewn onto the belt,  normally at the outer lower anchor point.

Hope this helps your approx date problem.

Kev

Posted: Wed Apr 9th, 2008 05:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Rebel wrote: The only problem i've had with such cases is knowing an accurate date of first use.

DC

No need - date of first use is approximate if there's no data - enter 01/01/ +  the year of manufacture.

Posted: Wed Apr 9th, 2008 01:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Rebel
Trade Member

Mana: 
The only problem i've had with such cases is knowing an accurate date of first use.

DC

Posted: Wed Apr 9th, 2008 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
911mot wrote

From what I understand of the process he then takes the car to DVLA  (too old for SVA) to get reg plates and V5 but can't get them without a valid MOT.

Well it was feckin busy when he turned up and I tried to call area office - no response :X:X:X and my track record with the messaging system is.... hmmm let's not go there LOL

So what I did was log on using 'Not displayed', created a new record and carried out MOT (it was fine) and passed it.  I wasn't expecting the PC to produce a VT20 as it already knows the plate is not displayed but hey presto out came a greeny

So did I do the right thing? Is it a case of only needing the plate displayed if it has a plate to display if you see what I mean, or should it have failed?

Or should the trader have got V5 before the MOT, and he's using me to cover his a**e in case he buys a wrecker or cut 'n' shut ???

Absolutely spot on 911 - punter has to take the VT20 to DVLA to prove the car is roadworthy - then gets a new V5 with an age related registration.
;)

Last edited on Wed Apr 9th, 2008 12:04 am by Stealth

Posted: Tue Apr 8th, 2008 08:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
i would be keen to know the answer to this one as well , one of our customers has recently bought a 1987 carlton GSi , the car was imported from the isle of man & has never been uk registered.

he was apparently told that it would need an mot before it could be registered .

Posted: Tue Apr 8th, 2008 08:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
removalizer
Trade Member

Mana: 
I used to buy Jap imports straight from the boat, before I was a tester, all that is reqd is a chassis no, as the MOT is the 1st part of the registration process once the car is mot'd then it is taken to DVLA to be registered.

You have done the correct thing

Posted: Tue Apr 8th, 2008 07:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
911mot

Mana: 
We have taken on a new account this week. First I knew about it was when a scooby with no plates pulled on the ramp:? 

Trader buys cars from Southhampton docks (Japanese imports) drives them to his place where he changes speedo and fits rear fog light and does any mechanical stuff.

He then brings it to me for an MOT with trade plates in the window.

From what I understand of the process he then takes the car to DVLA  (too old for SVA) to get reg plates and V5 but can't get them without a valid MOT.

Well it was feckin busy when he turned up and I tried to call area office - no response :X:X:X and my track record with the messaging system is.... hmmm let's not go there LOL

So what I did was log on using 'Not displayed', created a new record and carried out MOT (it was fine) and passed it.  I wasn't expecting the PC to produce a VT20 as it already knows the plate is not displayed but hey presto out came a greeny

So did I do the right thing? Is it a case of only needing the plate displayed if it has a plate to display if you see what I mean, or should it have failed?

Or should the trader have got V5 before the MOT, and he's using me to cover his a**e in case he buys a wrecker or cut 'n' shut ???

Last edited on Tue Apr 8th, 2008 07:30 pm by 911mot

Current time is 10:14 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations – Need clarification? try here > Imported cars with no V5 or number plate Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2521 seconds (27% database + 73% PHP). 32 queries executed.