New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
What in your opinion is best.  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 01:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
monkeywrench

Mana: 
Ive heard of space but would suggest ravaglioli or oma, good quality lifts!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Oct 22nd, 2009 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
davidpb1

Mana: 
Hello,

The make you are looking at the mo is a Ravaglioli from Italy, I've not seen there ATL ramp but have installed there sissor lifts in the past. There good sissors but the Itaian's can be a bit of a pain to deal with.
The only sissor I quote for is the ATT (Nusbarnn) sissor, if you have not seen one its the same that cypton sell. The shortest Class VII bay I can do including lift and brake tester is 10.350m and using outside the doors for some of the run on area for brake tester. A GOOD sissor lift works very fell for ATL.

Posted: Thu Oct 22nd, 2009 02:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
andy duncan

Mana: 
Hello,

I am looking to start up from scratch and need help on choosing equiptment. The unit that I have opted for is a decent size but due to the layout would probably be better for just class 4.

Ideally as im takin the plunge if I could install class 7 would be great, ive been told a 5 ton sissor lift would be compact enough to locate in the unit but ive never worked on one and they look a bit unsturdy.

The ramp ive been quoted for is manufactured by space, ive never heard of them !! 

Posted: Wed Oct 21st, 2009 09:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
hello dave,nice to meet? you .you is right about pits,any other pearls of wisdom vis a vis equipment that you would like to share?

Posted: Wed Oct 21st, 2009 06:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
davidpb1

Mana: 
Hi my name is Dave. I work for myself installing MOT equipment.
Just be carful about pits, make sure you water poof them as concrete and brick wont keep out the water. The cost is alot more than you think. Very hard to get good 2nd hand brake testers as well

Posted: Thu Aug 20th, 2009 02:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
TopGearMan

Mana: 
Now that sounds a good price. I can operate a mini digger and i can lay bricks/bloks and do concrete sub floors.. Good idea on getting 2nd's..
i have pm'd you my e-mail for the photo mate..
thanks.

Posted: Wed Aug 19th, 2009 09:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
relisys

Mana: 
My pit cost about £1500 for labour and materials.  I found a local brick / block company that make the blocks and purchased pallets of seconds.  About half the price of normal blocks and all that was wrong with them was that the odd block was broken.  Had a thick concrete floor with steel mesh and ran angle iron along the top edge for the jacking beam.   As I said before, allows me to work on vans and even limos when not using it for testing.  Also no ongoing costs with the pit as in no ropes to change or safty inspection. 
I can send you a picture should you wish, may also have the plans somewhere

Posted: Wed Aug 19th, 2009 06:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
TopGearMan

Mana: 
yeah i have heard alot of people prefer the pit..Out of interest how much did the pit cost to build?
I like the idea of putting air line/shelf ect in..:D

Will bear the smoke tester thing in mind as well..
cheers mate ;)

relisys wrote: My set up which is now 2 years old also has a pit but I always have to use an assistant. I went for the pit because it allows we to work on vans when there are no mot's booked in.  Its a 2 bay set up with pit and beam setter in bay one and brake tester in bay 2. Get some plans drawn up and get VOSA to approve them, dont accept a verbal yes like I did.

My pit is made out of blocks, contrete floor and agle iron for the top rails.  I also left a enclosed shelf for tools etc and installed lights, air line and power sockets.

I submitted plans that the equipment suppliers drew, got a VOSA visit and agreement then started work. When everything was finsihed they came in to sign off and decided the turn plates were 3 inches to far apart. This even though it was in accordance with plans they agreed to.  So I ended up cutting out new concrete to move the turn plates.

Oh and another thing, do not get a smoke tester with blue tooth, mine keeps losig the signal and has been nothing but trouble

Posted: Wed Aug 19th, 2009 09:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
relisys

Mana: 
My set up which is now 2 years old also has a pit but I always have to use an assistant. I went for the pit because it allows we to work on vans when there are no mot's booked in.  Its a 2 bay set up with pit and beam setter in bay one and brake tester in bay 2. Get some plans drawn up and get VOSA to approve them, dont accept a verbal yes like I did.

My pit is made out of blocks, contrete floor and agle iron for the top rails.  I also left a enclosed shelf for tools etc and installed lights, air line and power sockets.

I submitted plans that the equipment suppliers drew, got a VOSA visit and agreement then started work. When everything was finsihed they came in to sign off and decided the turn plates were 3 inches to far apart. This even though it was in accordance with plans they agreed to.  So I ended up cutting out new concrete to move the turn plates.

Oh and another thing, do not get a smoke tester with blue tooth, mine keeps losig the signal and has been nothing but trouble

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 09:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
TopGearMan

Mana: 
Hi kev,

No he does not have shaker plates. All his bay has is the roller brake tester..Open pit with hyd jack, beam tester and the turning plate where the front wheels sit on,and the emisson tester... In fact i can honestly say that the MOT bay has not changed in at least 10 years or more..
I thought it was strange as there was NO mirrors for him to be able to see the rear lights on testing??
After reading VOSA stuff i had a butchers around while my car was being tested and he did not have all the posters up..Smart card was left in the office on the computer..Mot documents left out for other customers...a waiting area where a tramp would refuse to wait..I didnt say nothing to him as it's his business and id probally get told to f**k off. lol..

Please bear in mind that my brother in law does nothing apart from swan about here and there and let's a tester answer the phone,book the cars in,test them and do everything else.I just get the feeling that my brother in law is in it for the money and dont really give a s***.And he is always fully booked at £50 a go as well...:?

kev1975 wrote:
if your brother in law tests cars on a pit without an assistant does he have shaker plates etc ?

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Hi, this is the latest one;)

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1082032326&r.lc=en&r.s=sl

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 09:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Spongebob

Mana: 
2 poster ramps won't do.

Some ideas of what you're likely to need can be found in PDF format at the bottom of this page although it may not all be up to date (2004 on the class 3&4 one possibly)...

http://www.boston-ge.com/mot-bay.php

I was under the impression that new applications needed to be equipped with ATL's nowadays or is that something I dreamt?

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 08:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
if your brother in law tests cars on a pit without an assistant does he have shaker plates etc ?

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 08:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
TopGearMan

Mana: 
My brother in law who has a pit only tests cars on his own.. Im sorry if i sound thick, but if he does not use one (Assistant) in a pit then what is the difference if i were to use a 2/4 post ramp?

kev1975 wrote:
good point about that , also if you go down the route of atl you will not have the wages of an assistant to pay , so another saving that will eventually pay for itself , in the long term.

Wesley:-

Yep i can see where you are coming from..Maybe i should have worded it better.. If i were to get 2nd hand equipment my out lay would be low..After a year or two of testing i could buy the ATL as you say..
I was just trying to see what you guy's use of prefer to use...The pros and con's of the equipment.

Also does anyone know what are the size regulations for the mot bay.. By this i mean size (length/width etc)..Found one for motorbikes but not for cars..

I am here to learn...

James

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 01:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
good point about that , also if you go down the route of atl you will not have the wages of an assistant to pay , so another saving that will eventually pay for itself , in the long term.

Posted: Sun Aug 16th, 2009 11:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
TopGearMan wrote: Ok,

If all goes well i want to set up my own VTS in the year or 2, and i am a little confused in what to go for.

A Pit

A two post lift

A 4 post lift

my brother in law has a pit..It's ok but it fills up with water sometimes..I know this is a cheap option with regards to (no service or inspection) But have no idea on the cost to install one if this was the road i took.
With the lift i know that you have to have a certain thickness of concrete for them to sit on.
Im not concerned about speed of the testing more the cheaper long term option..

Would just like some input of you guy's to see what you would have or do have..

cheers

Hi,

Your best option for the cheapest long term invesment, would be an ATL Installation using All New Equipment.

Lets have a discussion,;)

I know the Initial outlay may seem a little steep, and You may not wish to opt for a Lease Purchase Option, but before your commitment of purchasing Used Equipment sit back and have a little think about the age and usage of what you might actually be buying.;)

Regards,

Wes.

Last edited on Sun Aug 16th, 2009 11:44 pm by Wesley

Posted: Sun Aug 16th, 2009 11:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Dynamic Balance

Mana: 
OPL/ATL;)

DB:D

Posted: Sun Aug 16th, 2009 10:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
4 post lift...:D

Posted: Sun Aug 16th, 2009 09:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
TopGearMan

Mana: 
Ok,

If all goes well i want to set up my own VTS in the year or 2, and i am a little confused in what to go for.

A Pit

A two post lift

A 4 post lift

my brother in law has a pit..It's ok but it fills up with water sometimes..I know this is a cheap option with regards to (no service or inspection) But have no idea on the cost to install one if this was the road i took.
With the lift i know that you have to have a certain thickness of concrete for them to sit on.
Im not concerned about speed of the testing more the cheaper long term option..

Would just like some input of you guy's to see what you would have or do have..

cheers

Current time is 06:02 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Equipment Forum - Advice on Parts, Service, Performance etc | MOT Forum > What in your opinion is best. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems