New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Boston gas analyser/smoke tester does it's own thing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2010 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Spongebob

Mana: 
I also found out today that the database for specific petrol emissions tests fords to a rather bizarre set of limits which look suspiciously like default values rather than the wider lambda bands found on most fords and specific RPM ranges. This being the second time in about a month I've had a ford fail the BET and despite providing an exact match from the database, firstly a ford KA and today an old mondeo.

This has been pointed out to the AE but whether or not anything gets done about it remains to be seen. I wonder if it is worth bringing to the attention of VOSA.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Mar 18th, 2010 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Spongebob

Mana: 
We've got a combined Boston gas/smoke tester (not sure what model off the top of my head) which we've had for about 2 years now. Never had a problem of this sort until 2 cars recently.

First one was a petrol car which failed the BET test so was tested to specific limits. I can't remember what car but it looked to have passed until I saw the printout had shown it failed the idle test due to idle speed being below limits.

This isn't a reason for rejection I can find in the manual so I duly noted it on the sheet for both the customer and garage and let it go.

Today I was testing a focus diesel which on 6 readings started at around 7.5k but came down so that the final 3 were 3.89 2.80 and 2.20. It failed the test with a mean value when adjusted of 3.31.

Now the printout also highlights which readings the result is based on and rather than the average across the final 3 it worked out off the 4th and 5th ones and ignored the 6th. My own calculation for the final 3 less the drift figure came in at around 2.91 so therefore a pass. Even if it's working off 2 results surely it should've gone off 5 and 6 and therefore an even better pass?

Or am I interpreting the text of the manual incorrectly? Do the readings have to be within a certain amount of each other (eg 1.0k)

It's bad enough when testers start making their own RFR's up but for a machine to do so is something else.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 03:44 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Equipment Forum - Advice on Parts, Service, Performance etc | MOT Forum > Boston gas analyser/smoke tester does it's own thing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems