Mana: 
Last should read --"Thats why its cars and not trucks"

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Jun 4th, 2010 07:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
blom

Mana: 
Spongebob,  Thank you for you information  The Swedes did not turn the lights on  because of dull light but because of alternator problems, with a 4TR box and canister the warning light came on when the battery was full.    To cure the problem the English were told to turn the blower motor on but the clever Swedes connected theirs to the S&T lights.   Thats whey its only and not trucks,   

Posted: Sun May 30th, 2010 04:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
blom

Mana: 
Thank you Spongebob for your reply, that was very interesting for there are two regulations, GB and EU

Posted: Sat May 29th, 2010 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Spongebob

Mana: 
blom wrote: Stealth, you are right , i did ask about high level stop  lights and more important running or daylights and was told its  March next year but dont know if its front only, i will be changing my car at that time and will be date of manufactured or registered.

Most changes to legislation from an MOT point of view are worked out upon date of first use rather than manufacture. Saves the hassle of trying to work out when something was built. Chances are any new car around that time will have day running (or ruining if you prefer) lights as manufacturers alter things in advance of legislation changes.

As far as day running lights are concerned for me the EU can stick them as far as physically possible up their arses. It's not like we're subjected to 6 months of twilight in Britain no matter how crap the weather can get.

However judging by the crop of German manufactured cars with them fitted now it would appear to be front fitment only. Whether they become testable items in the future we will wait and see I guess.

High level stop lights were first required to be fitted in europe in 1998 although for UK MOT purposes if one is fitted and doesn't work it is considered to be unwired and cannot fail the test, however a recent amendment to the test following the introduction of LED lighting (again mainly down to our German friends) requires at least 50% of the light sources to work where multiple bulbs (or diodes) are used so if just one bulb of a strip lights up it should fail if the tester is up to speed on things.

Posted: Fri May 28th, 2010 08:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
blom

Mana: 
Stealth & Kev 1975

Thanks for you help, i have been retired now for ten years and that i was expected to know all dates and alterations but ive lost it know

Posted: Fri May 28th, 2010 08:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
blom

Mana: 
Stealth, you are right , i did ask about high level stop  lights and more important running or daylights and was told its  March next year but dont know if its front only, i will be changing my car at that time and will be date of manufactured or registered.

Posted: Fri May 28th, 2010 08:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
blom wrote: how do you know that the n/s stop light is fitted and should be working as the requirement is for only one stop light and has been since 1945 

You might find this link 'enlightening' or pehaps 'illuminating' ;)

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m3s01000301.htm

Posted: Fri May 28th, 2010 08:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
blom

Mana: 
how do you know that the n/s stop light is fitted and should be working as the requirement is for only one stop light and has been since 1945 

Posted: Fri May 28th, 2010 07:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
blom wrote:
there must be some checking on a MOT that the number plates are not black & white, that indicator are not red & white and indicator reapeters are fitted to the side of certain vehicles.     All of the above have fitment dates.

yes they do , but there are no specific requirements for high level stop lamps other than if fitted & connected it should work .
there are no requirements at all for day running lights .

Posted: Fri May 28th, 2010 05:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
blom wrote: there must be some checking on a MOT that the number plates are not black & white, that indicator are not red & white and indicator reapeters are fitted to the side of certain vehicles.     All of the above have fitment dates.
Sorry blom -  I could have misread, but I'm sure your question was about high level stop lamps & running lights :X

Posted: Fri May 28th, 2010 04:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
blom

Mana: 
there must be some checking on a MOT that the number plates are not black & white, that indicator are not red & white and indicator reapeters are fitted to the side of certain vehicles.     All of the above have fitment dates.

Posted: Fri May 28th, 2010 04:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi blom

Welcome to the forum.

Your question relates more to Construction & Use & Lighting Regulations rather than MOT standards.

There is no legal requirement for a third 'high level' stop lamp to be fitted.

The MOT is designed to check those lights which were required to be fitted under the above legislation - perhaps a 'google' search of the legislation is more relevant.

;)

Last edited on Fri May 28th, 2010 04:59 pm by Stealth

Posted: Fri May 28th, 2010 01:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
blom

Mana: 
Where should High level (3rd) stop light be fitted? When was the legal requirement date?

I understand  that running lights are going to be a introduced. At what date and is the requirement for front only and also what will be the minimum wattage?

Current time is 07:07 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Equipment Forum - Advice on Parts, Service, Performance etc | MOT Forum > High Level Stop Lights Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems