board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Website

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Printer Friendly
The wire brush  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 20th, 2011 05:50 pm

1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
what the f*** happened to the original post?how many cocks can you fit below 1 mot hammer?

Posted: Sat Mar 19th, 2011 12:46 am

2nd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Wesley wrote: Can Anyone See The "Confusion" here? posted by our dear "Member",

Between the "Service Brake"? related to above, and the, Original "Parking Brake" Issue??:?

"What A Cock"!:shock:

I thought the thread was originally about wire brushes Wes ?  :P

:D:D:D:D:D

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 11:57 pm

3rd Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Bright Ideas? wrote: Aylesbury Jock wrote: Got to point out that you do not need to know whether the service brake or the parking brake is causing the binding. The RFR is brake binding and that is all we as testers need to know. You can investigate further as  a technician after the MOT is over for repair purposes
Start both sets of rollers and note whether a significant brake effort is recorded from any wheel without a brake being applied.  Gradually depress the "service brake" and watch how the braking effort for each wheel increases.:D

Can Anyone See The "Confusion" here? posted by our dear "Member",

Between the "Service Brake"? related to above, and the, Original "Parking Brake" Issue??:?

"What A Cock"!:shock:

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 11:47 pm

4th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Stealth wrote: Wesley wrote:
May I beg to "differ"? with reference as to "when" the roller brake test is carried out?

surely it is not "mandatory" to conduct the "RBT" Last?:?

if so, "when" did we receive an "sn" to notify us of this?:?

wes.:P

While it is not mandatory to conduct the brake test last - best practice would suggest that the underside inspection is completed first in order to establish that there are no defects present which would render it unsafe to conduct a brake test, or which might present a risk of injury or present a risk of damage to the vehicle.  ;)

Thank You "Stealth",

Whilst this post is persuing A peticular aspect of the "Braking System" checks, Has "One"? Overlooked the "Parking Brake Lever", "Travel Check"?:?;) 

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 10:02 pm

5th Post
Bright Ideas?

Mana: 
Stealth wrote: Wesley wrote:
May I beg to "differ"? with reference as to "when" the roller brake test is carried out?

While it is not mandatory to conduct the brake test last - best practice would suggest that the underside inspection is completed first in order to establish that there are no defects present which would render it unsafe to conduct a brake test, or which might present a risk of injury or present a risk of damage to the vehicle.  ;)

Slightly off the mark lol:D, we were referring to the order of brake testing, i.e. carry out service brake performance first, then carry out Park brake performance afterwards lol:D

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 08:06 pm

6th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Wesley wrote:

Last edited on Fri Mar 18th, 2011 08:06 pm by Stealth

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 07:34 pm

7th Post
Bright Ideas?

Mana: 
Aylesbury Jock wrote: Got to point out that you do not need to know whether the service brake or the parking brake is causing the binding. The RFR is brake binding and that is all we as testers need to know. You can investigate further as  a technician after the MOT is over for repair purposes
Start both sets of rollers and note whether a significant brake effort is recorded from any wheel without a brake being applied.  Gradually depress the service brake and watch how the braking effort for each wheel increases.:D

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 07:04 pm

8th Post
Aylesbury Jock

Mana: 
Got to point out that you do not need to know whether the service brake or the parking brake is causing the binding. The RFR is brake binding and that is all we as testers need to know. You can investigate further as  a technician after the MOT is over for repair purposes

Posted: Fri Mar 18th, 2011 07:53 am

9th Post
Bright Ideas?

Mana: 
Wesley wrote: Bright Ideas? wrote: Aylesbury Jock wrote: Bright Ideas? wrote:

On another occassions at a seminar, a trainer said in response to my question on brakes, if after completing the park brake efficiency test the park brake did not release, and therefore the brake was binding, he said that is nothing to do with the mot test, its passed?

I think VOSA's view of the scheme standards are a lot lower than maybe the NT's are expecting them to be:shock:

I have a bit of a problem with that one. The test is not finished till you have completed the paperwork, so if you know the brake is binding during the MOT test how can it not fail?

The paperwork is part of the mot test, but is the administration side of it, the examination side of it is the inspection. It is the roller brake tester that shows you the brake is binding, not the adminsitration that follows. With regards the park brake test with reference to the manual, this efficiency test is done last, so it might not be possibly to know the brake is binding until after the test anyway?

In respect to KevG thread, which is more important the air freshener on the rear view mirror, or the 4mm wheel bearing play, quite obviously the air freshener on the mirror:D

To be honest I just normally take the air freshener off before I bring the vehicle into the test bay, and I must say that I have never in my life time of testing known a VE to do what you have said, although I am not saying some VE's have not do so, but in my view VE's issuing points for a air freshener is a bit much, after all the VE that counciled you about failing the brake disc you failed, which he said you should not have done didn't give you any points for something you thought was very serious?

I do it in order of the manual lol:D

If you did it before the roller brake test checking for service brake bind, then if a binding brake was present,how would you know which part of the brake was at fault:?, there is no reason for rejection for a parking brake binding is there?

You could in effect only fail for a service brake bind:D

So I guess lol that it is "mandatory" to check the park brake performance last:D

Posted: Thu Mar 17th, 2011 11:28 pm

10th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Bright Ideas? wrote: Aylesbury Jock wrote: Bright Ideas? wrote:

On another occassions at a seminar, a trainer said in response to my question on brakes, if after completing the park brake efficiency test the park brake did not release, and therefore the brake was binding, he said that is nothing to do with the mot test, its passed?

I think VOSA's view of the scheme standards are a lot lower than maybe the NT's are expecting them to be:shock:

I have a bit of a problem with that one. The test is not finished till you have completed the paperwork, so if you know the brake is binding during the MOT test how can it not fail?

The paperwork is part of the mot test, but is the administration side of it, the examination side of it is the inspection. It is the roller brake tester that shows you the brake is binding, not the adminsitration that follows. With regards the park brake test with reference to the manual, this efficiency test is done last, so it might not be possibly to know the brake is binding until after the test anyway?

In respect to KevG thread, which is more important the air freshener on the rear view mirror, or the 4mm wheel bearing play, quite obviously the air freshener on the mirror:D

To be honest I just normally take the air freshener off before I bring the vehicle into the test bay, and I must say that I have never in my life time of testing known a VE to do what you have said, although I am not saying some VE's have not do so, but in my view VE's issuing points for a air freshener is a bit much, after all the VE that counciled you about failing the brake disc you failed, which he said you should not have done didn't give you any points for something you thought was very serious?

Last edited on Thu Mar 17th, 2011 11:32 pm by Wesley

Posted: Thu Mar 17th, 2011 10:07 pm

11th Post
Bright Ideas?

Mana: 
Aylesbury Jock wrote: Bright Ideas? wrote:

Posted: Thu Mar 17th, 2011 09:35 pm

12th Post
Aylesbury Jock

Mana: 
Bright Ideas? wrote:

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2011 08:46 pm

13th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
I reckon it was the cold weather making springs go brittle and in conjuction with the roads being torn up by the frost.

Kev

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2011 08:16 pm

14th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
crystal balls:shock:

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2011 08:15 pm

15th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote: I wonder if the broken springs are owt to do with the state of the roads ? :D:D:D:D:D
Where does that road tax go ? Not on mending potholes that is for sure.

shhhhhh!!! that's how rumours start:D

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2011 08:08 pm

16th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
I wonder if the broken springs are owt to do with the state of the roads ? :D:D:D:D:D
Where does that road tax go ? Not on mending potholes that is for sure.

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2011 08:06 pm

17th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
bulged tyre sidewalls also up here with knackered suspension

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2011 07:54 pm

18th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
I agree Jock.

Same with wiper blades. If they clean the screen they pass.

If they dont, for whatever reason, (oil on screen springs to mind)

then they fail.

Just as an interesting aside.

Have had two cars in the garage in the last few weeks with antifreeze 9Engine Coolant) in the washer bottle!

Also , dont know about every one else, but we have been having more than our normal amount of broken springs recently.

Posted: Tue Mar 15th, 2011 07:50 pm

19th Post
Aylesbury Jock

Mana: 
Shouldn't be interpretin, just readin then doin:D. That's when it all starts going wrong is when you start interpretin. With this example, when the rfr is not  providing enough  water to clear the screen in conjuntion with the wipers, what interpretation is needed? Can't think of any way to make that any clearer

Last edited on Tue Mar 15th, 2011 07:51 pm by Aylesbury Jock

Posted: Mon Mar 14th, 2011 10:30 pm

20th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
Aylesbury Jock wrote: We go by the manual - one standard
so true..but open to Interpretation :D as we all know;)

Current time is 08:30 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Equipment Forum - Advice on Parts, Service, Performance etc | MOT Forum > The wire brush Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems