New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
pit or lift ?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Dec 15th, 2014 01:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
src

Mana: 
Thanks guys, looks like I shall be buying a lift, my knees will be grateful.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Dec 15th, 2014 06:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Favell
Trade Member

Mana: 
I was considering the possibilities of a pit when I had to replace my aged MOT 4 post lift.

As soon as I mentioned it to my H&S consultant, he started coming out with a long list of reasons not to have a pit from his H&S perspective.

So my new Bradbury ATL lift is now two years old - never had a spot of bother with it.

Posted: Sun Dec 14th, 2014 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Pits are okay if they are well lit and the workshop also. Not good at all in my opinion if the general level of lighting is poor.

A hoist is much more versatile and will probably reduce the overall test time by not having to repeatedly climb in and out of a pit set up.

Posted: Sun Dec 14th, 2014 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
billyloadsamud

Mana: 
I work in a pit and have also used lifts,
inspection is also easier on a lift, and wear and tear on your knees and arms is much greater in a pit

Posted: Sun Dec 14th, 2014 12:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
src

Mana: 
I was thinking the pit would be better for larger vans and be cheaper to operate but ease of use must be more important. Think the lift has it at the moment .

Posted: Sun Dec 14th, 2014 10:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
Hi src.
I am a freelance tester and work with both pit and ramp test lanes and can say from my own personal experience of 34 years as a tester I do not like working in a pit for some of the reasons DB9 mentioned and more. In my opinion go for a ramp even if it might cost a bit more.:)

Posted: Sun Dec 14th, 2014 06:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
DB9

Mana: 
For me some of the decisions would have to be based on my own age, health etc, for example have you considered how many times a day you are going to be neeling down at the front road wheels doing checks?

Have you considered how many times a day you will be climbing up and down ladders getting in and out of the pit?

You may also like to consider vehicles with oil, fuel and refrigerant leaks and the effects of those lingering in your pit, would you clean your pit at each time you experience a problem of that nature?

Does anyone smoke in the premises even though you know they should not?

How much would it cost to have a pit put in against the cost of a new ramp?

I am sure there are many other areas to consider, but the main one for me would be my nee's, and I am fairly sure I would not wear nee pads all day, they are not comfortable round the back of your nee's in use!!

Posted: Sun Dec 14th, 2014 05:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
src

Mana: 
Looking at putting a second class 7/5l test lane in alongside my class 4 lane . Should I go pit or lift, had no experience of testing on a pit. There are no issues with height, just want some advice .

Current time is 02:59 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Equipment Forum - Advice on Parts, Service, Performance etc | MOT Forum > pit or lift ? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems