board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Unmarked Camera Van in Derbyshire.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 27th, 2009 11:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
And yet its us that will get a ticket at 3 mph over the limit?
Cameras currently raise £10,000,000 (Ten Million Pounds)
per year.

Kev

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Aug 27th, 2009 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
I was travelling on the A1 last week , was in the centre lane at about 80 & there was a bit of traffic about in all 3 lanes , passed a police car at the side of the road & the driver in the car in front of me slowed down to about 65 & then jumped on the brakes down to 30 , like WTF :shock::shock:
wouldn't have minded if i could have gone into the outside lane & overtook her .

Posted: Thu Aug 27th, 2009 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
My pet hate is people that wedge the brakes on just before a camera and slow to 30......when the limit is 50!!!

Kev

Posted: Wed Aug 26th, 2009 08:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Spongebob

Mana: 
I was out Doncaster way last night picking up a trailer I'd bought and was in a 30 zone with both road angel and tom tom on showing just over 30. In the distance there was a hi-viz clad figure stood on the path, from a way away he looked just like someone waiting for the bus, get closer and it's PC plod with a hand held laser zapping away. I hope from the way the road angel remained silent he didn't zap me but you never know. However the weird thing is on the way back I was just approaching a level crossing and the speed limit changed from 30 to 60 and the bloody thing decided to throw a "Warning laser detected check your speed" false alarm at me. Either really slow reaction time from the road angel or something triggered a false alarm. I don't use the thing very often any more as it's a PITA to keep trailing wires around the dashboard as it doesn't have the £100 extra built in battery (had it a good while now) but it also for the first time showed the average speed cameras they've got on the M62 near us (admittedly you'd have to be blind to miss them), the constant beep for 3 or 4 miles does get annoying though.

Posted: Fri Aug 21st, 2009 06:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
im serious,they can be bloody handy.a couple of years back i was heading up to burnley along m65,scotty had just started shovelling dilithium crystals into the reactor and warp speed was imminent.road angel started beeping average speed check area so i backed off even tho i couldnt see anything .on the hard shoulder was a motor with bonnet+boot up,spare wheel on the deck and when i paid really close attention driving past,a high vis clothed individual crouching on the back seat!hmmm.so drove carefully for the next 4 mls with angel beeping continually.it stopped beeping at almost exactly the same time as i passed another furtive hi vis equipped fake breakdown parked on the shoulder.according to the natives they clock your reg and if average is sufficiently high between the two points then its hello speeding fine!just on this one occasion the road angel paid for itself(plus a few others).as an aside i have never received any points on my licence since i passed my test 25 yrs ago.i have never been done for drink/reckless/careless driving,speeding or due care and attention etc.prior to passing my test however i got done for everything else!can any one out there beat 36 points?

Posted: Tue Aug 18th, 2009 11:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote: get yourself a road angel for f***s sake....

aaahh, Tiff:shock::D

Posted: Tue Aug 18th, 2009 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
get yourself a road angel for f***s sake....

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 08:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Spongebob

Mana: 
I find that round here they place the marked ones in placed where your mind is occupied with other road hazards such as the one that had me sweating for a couple of weeks last month which was 20 yards after a roundabout. Or just in a speed limit change zone. I've been zapped twice by mobile units based in vans both times in the former Humberside area, first one cost me 6 points for exceeding the limit on the M180 and a trip to Scunthorpe magistrates to grovel for my license (should've been looking at a ban) the second one (which I rather cheekily posted in the postbox straight after getting out of court!!!) got me a speed seminar and another trip to Scunny after which when heading back home I passed the same point I got zapped first time (only going on the other carriageway) and the camera van was there again.

Now it's all well and good them saying there's signs up saying cameras operate in the area but the damn things are virtually on every road in Britain. In our area they tell you where the cameras will be operating that week but not which days and never weekends. The criteria for using speed cameras both fixed and mobile are clearly laid down but certainly in the West Yorkshire area not all of them appear to be followed either for operating mobile units or for the placing of fixed cameras. I think if you are flashed by a fixed camera they really ought to charge you with driving without due care and attention as well.

Posted: Mon Aug 17th, 2009 10:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Spunkymonkey

Mana: 
Got caught by one of these on Anglesey a couple of weeks ago - just had an offer through the post of a speed awareness course instead of points.  It's only my second in about 25 years of driving - the first was in about 1990 driving a Yugo 45 and this one was in the Daf 33 :D

Posted: Sun Aug 16th, 2009 08:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
TopGearMan

Mana: 
makes me laugh...

The police always try different tactics to get more result's. And why are they using unmarked one's??

Well what happens when people go past one on the side of the road? Other motorists flash you (and the police know this) So they want to hide amongst us just like they do with the unmarked police cars..
it will happen..Just think if you saw a cop car behind you on the motorway you would slow down..everyone does..And they want people to act normally and then nab them..makes them look good (Brownie points) and makes it look like the police are making the roads safer..(Stats)

It's probally more likely to be a trial to see if they catch more speeder's being (Hidden) than the ones with stripes on them.. And if the hidden ones pay off (;)) they will bring these into force.

Fixed penalty's are just another type of TAX but named different. (Speed camera's,Congestion charge,etc) all the same.

All of us are made to pay for this goverments cock up for getting us so far into debt..:X

Posted: Mon Jul 20th, 2009 11:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 

"Lost in The Fauna",:?:?:?:?.............PMSL.:D:D:D:D

Last edited on Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 10:58 pm by Wesley

Posted: Mon Jul 20th, 2009 11:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Dynamic Balance

Mana: 
Sounds like MP's who visit the local cemetary to pick up a few names for their votes;)

Posted: Mon Jul 20th, 2009 09:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
the only requirement on a postal speeding ticket is to provide the name and address of the person driving at the time,if the force concerned disputes the details provided its down to them to prove different.different forces have different policies,our local force is cracking down on stuff like this due to cab drivers etc claiming that uncle singh in bangladesh or similar was driving at the time.other forces(if handed an address outside the eu)used to just drop it as not worth the hassle.obviously a lot of the above depends on the evidence the law have,something that a lot of the time you have to go to court to find out.one of the local cabbies got done when the law investigated a little more in depth than usual and found that the relative supposedly driving at the time had been dead for 6 years,didnt do anything about the previous 2 speeding tickets that had been blamed on him tho...obviously all the above is purely hypothetical and only posted for amusement....

Posted: Sun Jul 19th, 2009 10:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Dynamic Balance

Mana: 
I think perjury can only be committed when sworn on oath in court, however the local beat can use what you say against you if you choose not to remain silent. I don't know if there is an exact right answer on the side of the road when questioned, but a fitting statement might be, I would like to speak to a qualified solicitor before speaking to you if I may under my human rights, thank you.

Posted: Sun Jul 19th, 2009 07:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
you use an american name and address when you fill in the speeding ticket,tell em you were selling the bike and that the name and address you are providing is the one he gave you,he obviously was using your leathers etc when he was roadtesting it...be advised that perjury is a serious offence and that the above is intended for interest etc.the yanks have summat called the white pages,roughly equivelant to our yellow pages and full of random addresses...above information comes from a mythical barrister of my aqquaintance who had got some equally mythical clients off using methods based on the above.

Posted: Sat Jul 18th, 2009 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Dynamic Balance

Mana: 
Just register your bike in the chief constables name and address:P

Don't get caught following him home:P

redirect the post to get the log book to the local post office, and go through as many speed cameras as you can when you know where the chief is staying for a time period:P

You may need some balls to do it;)

DB:D

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 04:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Whats the loophole Rob?

kev

Posted: Thu Jul 16th, 2009 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
there is a loophole but you need balls(and money)to use it,plus if you get caught doing it-even worse!just pay the fine.

Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2009 10:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Dynamic Balance wrote: I have seem them parked on the side of busy roads half on and off motor way bridges taking photos, the law does not apply to those in the law, only those sheep which can be punished by the animal that waits to devour them:(

You sure thats Sheep and not Pigs, as in Animal Farm by George Orwell?:P

Posted: Tue Jul 14th, 2009 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Dynamic Balance

Mana: 
I have seem them parked on the side of busy roads half on and off motor way bridges taking photos, the law does not apply to those in the law, only those sheep which can be punished by the animal that waits to devour them:(

Current time is 01:47 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > General Off-Topic 'Discussions' - when it gets down to the fine detail | MOT Forum > Unmarked Camera Van in Derbyshire. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems