A.E.D.M  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 5th, 2013 08:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
bimmer

Mana: 
that's good advice too DB. :)

here is a list of area offices, not sure how up-to-date it is, but might help. http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/contactus/vosalocationsandofficesofthetrafficcommissioners/vosaenforcementoffices.htm 

you can also call the national phone line  0300-1239000 tell them where you live and ask for the local area office number. 

Last edited on Fri Jul 5th, 2013 09:41 pm by bimmer

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Jul 5th, 2013 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DB9

Mana: 
Mark,

Might be quicker just to ring your local area office and get their advise on this!

Rules have more than changed over the years, but back in the day when I ran a VTS I had to attend a AE course before I could run the VTS, and the VTS number was sent in the post.

Posted: Fri Jul 5th, 2013 08:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
markharriers

Mana: 
thankyou that would be great :)

Posted: Fri Jul 5th, 2013 06:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
not sure on that one, I'll see what i can find out for you. you could also send Stealth a PM he would know. 

Posted: Fri Jul 5th, 2013 04:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
markharriers

Mana: 
i have just read it one question i have is as we are going to be a new vts do i have to do the course before were up and running? if so how? as i need a vts number to attend the course???

Posted: Fri Jul 5th, 2013 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
markharriers

Mana: 
Thankyou ill have a look :)

Posted: Fri Jul 5th, 2013 03:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
this might help.    http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/ST3.03%20AEDMs.14.12.09.pdf  there are many web pages online to give you useful info if you do a google search for VOSA AEDM COURSE.

Last edited on Fri Jul 5th, 2013 03:21 am by bimmer

Posted: Fri Jul 5th, 2013 02:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
markharriers

Mana: 
Hi all :) I thought it would polite to let you no how this little problem is going lol I have calmed down now and I wont be handing in my smart card! lol my two boss's have decided that becoming a 'company' is the best way forward as our accountant has advised us in the past anyway so now this has made their mind up, so I will be going on the AEDM course after all :D so any advice on that would be nice ;) 

Posted: Thu Jun 27th, 2013 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
as stealth said "There's nothing to stop your employers giving you sufficient roles such as AE Delegate, VTS Site Manager etc to allow you to administer the testing side after approval".  so don't go handing your card in just yet.

Posted: Thu Jun 27th, 2013 02:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
markharriers

Mana: 
Thank you for all ur help lads :) its terrible how my boss's want me to run the new vts as they have enough on their plates and also would of been a great chance for me as i no alot about it all ready but because of vosa rules i can't do it!! at time of writing i feel like handing in my smart card as i feel let down by vosa especially the wording of this section of the manual :shock:

Posted: Thu Jun 27th, 2013 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
it was a while ago so maybe things were different then or like you said slipped through the net. :)

Posted: Thu Jun 27th, 2013 01:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
bimmer wrote: Hi Mark

I am a freelance tester and been on the course and had the role as AEDM in the past with no problem from VOSA, in fact at one VTS where i did three days a week for three years i held five VTS roles at one stage.

You must have slipped through the net bimmer - can't be done now. ;)

Posted: Thu Jun 27th, 2013 01:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
DB9 wrote: Hi Mark

Don't hold me to this exactly, but my understanding is that an AE who is responsible for the VTS also is now according to the Testing Guide has their details passed to other bodies like Inland Revenue etc under the freedom of information act.

Not sure where you got that info Daveg -

VOSA - like other bodies - has a duty of care under the act NOT to disclose information unless a Data Request has been signed under the act - there are limited circumstances where this can be used.

In theory the Inland Revenue & other bodies could submit a Data Request to VOSA for information on an AE - but information is not disclosed as a matter of course.

Any paperwork submitted during the application - ie bank references etc are 'data cleansed' (shredded) after completion.

Posted: Thu Jun 27th, 2013 01:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Stealth wrote: Hi mark

Ideally it should be one of the partners who attends the MOT Managers course.

Mark

I've checked the regs - one of the partners MUST attend the MOT Managers course.

There's nothing to stop your employers giving you sufficient roles such as AE Delegate, VTS Site Manager etc to allow you to administer the testing side after approval.

;)

Posted: Thu Jun 27th, 2013 03:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
Hi Mark

I am a freelance tester and been on the course and had the role as AEDM in the past with no problem from VOSA, in fact at one VTS where i did three days a week for three years i held five VTS roles at one stage.

Posted: Thu Jun 27th, 2013 02:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
DB9

Mana: 
Hi Mark

Don't hold me to this exactly, but my understanding is that an AE who is responsible for the VTS also is now according to the Testing Guide has their details passed to other bodies like Inland Revenue etc under the freedom of information act.

The problem I see here is that you are an employee and not DM, partner etc.

I see problems with the owners/managers in the back seat not being held to account and using an employee as an agent type of thing on their behalf?

I could be wrong but can't see VOSA liking the arrangement proposed?

Posted: Thu Jun 27th, 2013 01:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
markharriers

Mana: 
Hi and thank you so much for your reply we are at our WITTS end!! the lady at vosa insists I 'm not aloud on the course? have you been through this yourself??

Posted: Wed Jun 26th, 2013 10:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi mark

Ideally it should be one of the partners who attends the MOT Managers course.

You could attend the course but if you were to leave then the VTS could be stopped from testing until either one of the partners does the course, or appoints someone else who has done the course.

Posted: Wed Jun 26th, 2013 06:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
markharriers

Mana: 
Hi al i have posted befor on this and was directed to the manual which in all honestly copletly looses me on this topic, my question is i am a NT working in a garage for a husband and wife partnership we will be putting a mot bay in our garage and they want me to run mot affairs and send me on the AEDM course but everytime we ring VOSA we get a different answer one lady said it has to be one of the parntners and the other lady said they can send me on the course ?? has anyone been in the same boat as we are at our wits end and would be really greatfull of sum answers thankyou in advance:X

Current time is 09:32 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Training and Seminars - Reviews, Dates, Questions | MOT Forum > A.E.D.M Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems