New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Coil Springs and shock absorbers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 28th, 2021 03:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Stewjitsu72

Mana: 
For obvious reasons I now regret not having the car independently inspected before purchase. I doubt that the dealer had the car inspected either, I’ve already asked for evidence of such an inspection but none has been forthcoming. No pre delivery inspection either. The springs and shocks aren’t the only problem I’ve had with the car since purchase so looks like I’ll be taking the dealer to small claims court to claw some money back.

Thanks for your advice.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Mar 27th, 2021 08:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
to be fair your chances chasing him at this late date even had they broke/failed are zero.the best advice i can give you is that an mot is no guarantee of the cars condition-it tells you that on the mot-and when buying ANYTHING ANYWHERE always get an independant exam of some sort BEFORE accepting said vehicle,lastly buying a 2nd hand motor means precisely that,it aint new,its probably worn and the only way of avoiding it is a new car.if you have no access to profesional advice even an enthusiastic amateur is better than nothing,lots of other things that you can do prior as well but i aint got all day!:D

Posted: Fri Mar 26th, 2021 10:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Stewjitsu72

Mana: 
Sounds like a bit of a nightmare to be honest.

Thankfully the springs didn’t break before I had them replaced. I’m a sucker for safety and my wife drives the car mostly so I didn’t want any unforeseen dramas.

So to all all intents and purposes what you’ve said is it’s a pass on the day as presented, even if the shock absorbers don’t show evidence of damage or leaking. I’m happy with that, even though it makes my life a little harder chasing the dealer for money required to make the necessary repairs.

Many thanks!

Last edited on Fri Mar 26th, 2021 10:09 am by Stewjitsu72

Posted: Thu Mar 25th, 2021 02:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
you will be unsurprised to learn that up till a couple of months back we werent allowed to fail completely buggered shocks either,major leak to the extent that oil is dripping off the bottom?yup,other than that assuming they were attached/no external damage its a pass,we didnt even get an advise for them not operating at all.your rust would need to be deep enough that the spring was about to snap,as i said unlikely and we aint supposed to peel the paint etc off neither,it constitutes damaging the vehicle....do i sound disillusioned and cynical about the low grade system we are forced to use?quite possible.....

Posted: Thu Mar 25th, 2021 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Stewjitsu72

Mana: 
Thanks for your response.

Reason I’m asking is car was MOTd last July and just before MoT I have a photo of the car on the dealers premises (we bought it 3 days after MoT) where it can be seen that the rear off side rear spring is sagging.

On the day of delivery ride height looked good.

No advisory on the MoT for coil spring. Last month I noticed that the ride height on this side was about an inch lower than the near side and the negative camber was excessive. It was then that I started looking through the photos I had downloaded before we bought the car. I then looked at photos of cars with similar mileage and same build year for sale on Autotrader and compared the ride height. Big difference.

I’ve since had the springs and shocks replaced on both sides.

Both shocks were in a shocking state. I can compress them both by hand with ease and hear lots of bubbling as I do so. No advisories for the shocks at last MoT either.

I’ve kept the old springs and peeled off some of the coating that was ready to fall off and underneath there’s rust. Difficult to say how deep but there’s quite a lot on the off side spring (see picture attached).

Attachment: 55C4D925-D98D-494A-BC5E-7443437B4537.jpeg (Downloaded 45 times)

Posted: Thu Mar 25th, 2021 12:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
suspension sag per se aint a fail,neither is the plastic cover.i suspect what youre driving at is youve had a spring break,corrosion on a spring to the extent we could fail it on being weakened is vanishingly rare,what normally happens is a small crack begins on a surface rusty one and sooner or later fractures all the way through almost always on areas not visible/accessible and particularly when stood up for a while.there is a advise for spring corrosion but it aint compulsory.if its in an area thats visible great but the plastic cover you describe will have(at best)obscured it.personally i would have looked closely and maybe advised but without seeing it pretty hard to tell.last word of advice,if ones gone then the other aint generally far behind

Posted: Thu Mar 25th, 2021 09:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Stewjitsu72

Mana: 
Morning all, I hope someone can answer my questions.

If a car was brought in for its MoT and the rear suspension was noticed to be sagging on one side at the rear by about an inch, would a tester be drawn to that corner and would additional scrutiny be applied?

For example, if a visual check of the rear spring on the sagging side determined that the plastic coating was found to be cracked open in 4 or 5 places and rust was visibly bubbling under the coating etc. would a tester suspect that the spring was weakened due to corrosion? Would the tester peel off some of the coating to determine the extent of the rust?

Would this be an advisory issue or would the tester make a note of telling the owner to keep an eye on it?

How much suspension sag would be cause for an advisory if none of the suspension components were visibly worn or damaged?

Many thanks in advance,

S

Last edited on Thu Mar 25th, 2021 09:31 am by Stewjitsu72

Current time is 12:27 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Coil Springs and shock absorbers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems