board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, martins, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Prohibition Notice  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 8th, 2009 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
rocky69

Mana: 
The police up at the bridge are under presure from the local community to do something about the bikes, and they see this as a way of doing just that. You would have to be a bit ott to do that but as previously stated if its in the book.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue May 5th, 2009 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
jonnyjohnson wrote: Hand signals are still valid
Why on earth didn't he challenge the prohibition at the time and continue to ride using hand signals only.
You may have indicators fitted but there is no law to say you must use them!

Use them or not, obviously not working at the time,

Carrying afew spare bulbs would have done the trick as well.;)

Last edited on Wed May 6th, 2009 12:06 am by Wesley

Posted: Tue May 5th, 2009 06:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jonnyjohnson

Mana: 
Hand signals are still valid
Why on earth didn't he challenge the prohibition at the time and continue to ride using hand signals only.
You may have indicators fitted but there is no law to say you must use them!

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 07:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Auto Engineer wrote: BTW Auto Engineer - the three year rule for first test of a cars, light goods & motorcycles still stands, and the factory don't issue MOT certificates, they declare Type Approval.

I knew what i meant just worded it badly that's all.

The parts about one test cancelling the other is from VOSA, not me, so if you know from a statement of law that the previous mot certificate is not overrulled by the latest issued, so a pass issued is still in force when after that a fail is issued, please advise where you got that definitive guide from, because my previous information is from VOSA themselves.

Auto Engineer:) 

Take a step back, think about it a while, and word it better, and you may get some logical replies.
;)

Last edited on Wed Apr 15th, 2009 07:25 pm by Stealth

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 06:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Auto Engineer

Mana: 
BTW Auto Engineer - the three year rule for first test of a cars, light goods & motorcycles still stands, and the factory don't issue MOT certificates, they declare Type Approval.

I knew what i meant just worded it badly that's all.

The parts about one test cancelling the other is from VOSA, not me, so if you know from a statement of law that the previous mot certificate is not overrulled by the latest issued, so a pass issued is still in force when after that a fail is issued, please advise where you got that definitive guide from, because my previous information is from VOSA themselves.

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
A prohibition notice can be issued by an authaurised Police Vehicle Examiner (Traffic cop with extra training similar to a VOSA examiner) - or a VOSA Examiner.

A prohibition can be issued to ANY vehicle or trailer - testable or non-testable (plant, agricultural, caravans, light trailers etc).

The prohibition indicates that, at the time of inspection, the vehicle did not meet the minimum Construction & Use road safety standards as defined in the examiners guide - The Categorisation of Defects.

This book defines the severity of the defect, and indicates whether the prohibition is 'Immediate' - or 'Delayed'

Unfortunately, in the bikers case, a non functioning indicator is 'Immediate'

The examiner can examine as much as - or as little as - the vehicle as he sees fit.

The rules then require a further examination to ensure that the vehicle is 'fit for service'

Again - the examiner can decide what level of inspection is required to clear the prohibition.

He can elect to allow the driver/rider to fix the defect at the check, and clear the prohibition, or in the case of an HGV, he may require the vehicle to attend a Goods Vehicle Testing Station for a more detailed check.

In the case of vehicles covered by the MOT testing scheme, if the defect cannot be rectified at the time of the check - the vehicle is required to be presented for test.

This is required to ensure that the original defect has been repaired, and also to ensure that there are no other defects present which could not be checked at the time - for example brake performance, suspension etc.

Proof that the vehicle is now fit for use is by way of the new MOT certificate.

The presenter then takes the MOT certificate, and the prohibition to a main police station, where a 'Removal' is issued.

A copy of this removal is to be forwarded to VOSA, or the police, whoever was the issuing agency.

Lets take a one year old car, which has had a prohibition. The vehicle gets a test certificate which expires when the car is 2 years old. There is no requirement to submit the car for another test until it's third birthday. The test certificate is just proof that the car was made roadworthy after the prohibition.

For a car over testable age, again the test certificate is proof that the car was made roadworthy after the prohibition.

Any current test certificate in place is still valid. The new one does not cancel out the older one.

If the car fails - then the prohibition remains in place until such time as it passes. The prohibition bans the use of the car on the road until it has been repaired & re-examined.

It might be worth adding at this point that a vehicle can be taken for test as often as you wish - you can have your car tested every 3 months if you feel like it !

For non testable vehicles, the examiner may make arrangements to examine the vehicle at a suitable place of inspection, at a later date, to ensure that, as far is practicable, no defects exist which would compromise road safety.

BTW Auto Engineer - the three year rule for first test of a cars, light goods & motorcycles still stands, and the factory don't issue MOT certificates, they declare Type Approval.

Stealth   :)

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 04:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Auto Engineer

Mana: 
Stealth wrote: kev1975 wrote: auto engineer will be along soon to give us the correct answer to our question :dude:

I could give you an answer regards Prohibitions - but I think I'll wait for Auto Enginner too - I'm sure it will be far more entertaining.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The answer is simple really, prohibitions take precendent over current mot test certificate, so you can't use the vehicle with the defect present. new mot test certificate issued takes precendents over Prohibition notice, so you can drive again, the new mot is required to remove the prohibition, how that works apart from a test registered on computerisation is as I understand it to show VOSA that somebody with a basic mechanical knowledge is competent to assess the defect. Original three year rule is now long gone. A vehicle is only legally entitled to be used on the road with a current test certificate in force, which means if a defect has been found which justifies a fail,or a prohibition, then that previous mot test, whether from the factory or another station does not entitle the user to drive. The current test takes precendent.

I was informed some time back regarding mot's and computerisation that when a vehicle has been tested, passed or failed, and then if the presenter takes it to another station who either passes or fails it, then the previous mot test is overrulled, and the current test whether passed or failed stands.

But these are all peoples opinions which is not proven in practice, so i suppose a police check via camera would decide if a vehicle has a current mot in force with a prohibition notice also in force?

any offers;)

Last edited on Wed Apr 15th, 2009 05:08 pm by

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
KevG wrote: Come on Stealth!!!!
Its a bit severe for a indicator bulb isn't it?

Kev

Kev

I'll agree that it does perhaps seem a bit severe, but you gotta remember what nicknak said a while ago - perhaps it was because he had a 'socially incorrect number of wheels'    :shock:

Last edited on Wed Apr 15th, 2009 04:49 pm by Stealth

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Come on Stealth!!!!
Its a bit severe for a indicator bulb isn't it?

Kev

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 03:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
kev1975 wrote: auto engineer will be along soon to give us the correct answer to our question :dude:

I could give you an answer regards Prohibitions - but I think I'll wait for Auto Enginner too - I'm sure it will be far more entertaining.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 12:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
OK dude....lol....;)......I got nothin better 2 do.....:cool: 

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 12:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
auto engineer will be along soon to give us the correct answer to our question :dude:

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 12:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
kev1975 wrote: very good question , i would think the 3 years might still apply , couldn't say for sure though , good question for the vosa help desk :dude:

But 3 yrs should apply from new???.....Why do the rules change..???...

Last edited on Wed Apr 15th, 2009 12:20 am by big..E.

Posted: Wed Apr 15th, 2009 12:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
very good question , i would think the 3 years might still apply , couldn't say for sure though , good question for the vosa help desk :dude:

Posted: Tue Apr 14th, 2009 11:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
kev1975 wrote: we had an 07 reg sprinter in for full test , n/s dip beam not working .
the van wasn't even a year old & surely a good old vdrs would have done the trick .

So if you get a motor in less than 1 yr old...You do a Full test and Pass it...

Q..Does it then need an MOT the following year?..(at 2 yrs old)...?.Bearing in mind its MOT has expired......?.....:?

Posted: Tue Apr 14th, 2009 11:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
we had an 07 reg sprinter in for full test , n/s dip beam not working .
the van wasn't even a year old & surely a good old vdrs would have done the trick .

Posted: Tue Apr 14th, 2009 11:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Things have changed over the past few years,

Had one in about two years ago, Bald Tyre, Full Test required?:?

Posted: Tue Apr 14th, 2009 10:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
RFR

Mana: 
Hi KevG,

from what I know, if the book says that warrants a PG9 then so be it. What ever we think it was not working so thats that.

rfr 

Posted: Tue Apr 14th, 2009 10:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Do you think its OTT for an indicator out?
The bike was immaculate.

Kev

Posted: Tue Apr 14th, 2009 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
RFR

Mana: 
Hi KevG,

see section in testing guide for further details, under prohibition notices. Issued by police or vosa, needs a full mot, not just the item on the form, and a pass cert produced to the police after the issue of pg9. They have a book to follow which details the defects and what action to take. Treat it as no mot, so needs to be booked in if it has not been tested already.

hope this helps

rfr:)

Current time is 12:11 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > Prohibition Notice Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems