Brake Union  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Apr 21st, 2009 11:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Spunkymonkey

Mana: 
Einstein wrote: Spunkymonkey wrote:

If anything looking like the above was fitted to a hydraulic brake circuit of a motor vehicle, that would be sufficient to set alarm bells ringing. :P

bear in mind, the pic doesn't show scale - they're available for pipes from 4mm o/d upwards so not that much different to this:

which is a perfectly valid (double flare) joint on my Triumph where someone replaced the back part of a corroded pipe rather than the whole length.

Oh, and no - it wasn't me who fitted the flexi fuel pipe and wrapped it round the brake pipe for support.  All being sorted for MOT in 3 weeks ;)

Attachment: brakeJoint.jpg (Downloaded 1 time)

Last edited on Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 11:38 am by Spunkymonkey

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Apr 21st, 2009 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Einstein

Mana: 
Spunkymonkey wrote: I can see the problem with B&Q type "plumbing" joints, although I tend to think that anyone stupid enough to use something like that on their brakes deserves the results if only you could guarantee no-one else was involved ;)

What I can't see is how, unless it's clearly branded as such (which it may have been in this case), anyone can tell by looking at the outside whether internally it's a loose ferrule fitting or two flared joints into a connector block. 

Both types are available for high pressure hydraulic use (good for ten thousand PSI or about 680 Bar) and the chance of anyone spotting the difference from the outside is virtually zero.

So, faced with this:

could you tell if it was a Hy-Lok BU (JIS ferrule fitting) or FU (flare type) connector without taking it apart (ok, the x-ray specs view gives it away on this one ;) )?

If anything looking like the above was fitted to a hydraulic brake circuit of a motor vehicle, that would be sufficient to set alarm bells ringing. :P

Posted: Tue Apr 21st, 2009 06:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jonnyjohnson

Mana: 
What's the betting you saw that coming as well!

Posted: Mon Apr 20th, 2009 07:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Vosa are phasing in X-Ray vision soon, Roll out starts Early April 2010

Kev

Posted: Sun Apr 19th, 2009 06:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Spunkymonkey

Mana: 
I can see the problem with B&Q type "plumbing" joints, although I tend to think that anyone stupid enough to use something like that on their brakes deserves the results if only you could guarantee no-one else was involved ;)

What I can't see is how, unless it's clearly branded as such (which it may have been in this case), anyone can tell by looking at the outside whether internally it's a loose ferrule fitting or two flared joints into a connector block. 

Both types are available for high pressure hydraulic use (good for ten thousand PSI or about 680 Bar) and the chance of anyone spotting the difference from the outside is virtually zero.

So, faced with this:

could you tell if it was a Hy-Lok BU (JIS ferrule fitting) or FU (flare type) connector without taking it apart (ok, the x-ray specs view gives it away on this one ;) )?

Last edited on Mon Apr 20th, 2009 11:18 am by Spunkymonkey

Posted: Sun Apr 19th, 2009 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Original question was posted by SpunkyMonkey & reposed here by Kev G

"As you know, I'm not a tester but I do have an interest in the technical side of the scheme.

With regard to compression fittings, I can see that (the poster) was right that fittings with separate ferrules are specifically given as "not suitable" in the manual but is there any explanation why, seeing as some are rated to over 10000 PSI and are actually more likely to give an effective joint than a badly-made flare?

Also, without dismantling the joint, how the hell would anyone know it used separate ferrules and wasn't an in-line flare connector? Have used a lot of both types on aircraft (rated way higher than brake systems!) and, unless you knew the actual make etc, you'd often not know the difference once fitted. Are you guys meant to have X-ray vision or something?

Cheers,

Joe"

Current time is 08:13 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > Brake Union Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems