board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Website

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, martins, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
brake disc  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 17th, 2010 11:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
Aylesbury Jock wrote: taruffi wrote: Not just brake discs - I now have to judge if a seatbelt with a cut in it is "seriously weakened".  So what's that? 10% of the seatbelt width? 20%?....
it would be good to get some clarification on this one. As a QC I have been asked about it. Having been advised in the past that a seat belt ought to be changed after being involved in an accident even if there was no visible damage(seems a bit extreme)then any cut  should be a rfr.

use your own judgement.and pray it's the same as yer local VE:shock: if any doubt pass and advise:dude:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Nov 13th, 2010 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Aylesbury Jock

Mana: 
taruffi wrote: Not just brake discs - I now have to judge if a seatbelt with a cut in it is "seriously weakened".  So what's that? 10% of the seatbelt width? 20%?....
it would be good to get some clarification on this one. As a QC I have been asked about it. Having been advised in the past that a seat belt ought to be changed after being involved in an accident even if there was no visible damage(seems a bit extreme)then any cut  should be a rfr.

Posted: Mon Jun 14th, 2010 12:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
motorhead
Trade Member

Mana: 
And now this morning the radio tells me I'm at risk from Legionnaires disease if my customers don't use screenwash........
dont worry theyll soon have a claim form at the social for it lol

Posted: Mon Jun 14th, 2010 12:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
motorhead
Trade Member

Mana: 
I dont see a problem with it, its minimum standards. Why is that so hard to understand, for years you have been failing the discs and then doing a brake test and prooving they were  ok and still doing their job, but I bet you still failed them.
 got to agree with ya, far too many testers, including mine failing discs because they look to be worn, corroded, pitted & scored but arnt excessive.

ok then mot a car will pitted discs pass ok then when service comes up discs need replacing..i think the mot teaster will have a sore ear from the customer..

Mot standard 25%, Service standard 75% (a big difference) if the tester did his job right and advised the customer theyre wouldnt be a problem.

Posted: Mon Jun 14th, 2010 08:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
taruffi

Mana: 
Not just brake discs - I now have to judge if a seatbelt with a cut in it is "seriously weakened".  So what's that? 10% of the seatbelt width? 20%?....

These new rules haven't even been flagged up very well. The main reason for the new manual was to incorporate class 5 into the manual, and the line to read and make yourself familiar with new methods of inspection and reasons for rejection is pretty standard.Should have been a separate special notice saying "LOOK OUT - we've changed a load of rules".

Some new rules are very sensible, I like being able to advise a deteriorated number plate that is still perfectly legible, but we could do with a bit more guidance on others - whole new section on "additional braking devices" springs to mind.

And now this morning the radio tells me I'm at risk from Legionnaires disease if my customers don't use screenwash........

Posted: Mon Jun 14th, 2010 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
supertom wrote: ok then mot a car will pitted discs pass ok then when service comes up discs need replacing..i think the mot teaster will have a sore ear from the customer..pass mot fail service on discs ..man it going bacwards the mot world..and just to add to this a4 page on number plates rfr...discs 1 great...
"SERIOUSLY WEAKENED".........But NOT able to "measure" this on the MOT???...So how do we know??....We can however "SEE" Pitted/scored/worn exessively...

Posted: Sun Jun 13th, 2010 12:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
supertom
Trade Member

Mana: 
ok then mot a car will pitted discs pass ok then when service comes up discs need replacing..i think the mot teaster will have a sore ear from the customer..pass mot fail service on discs ..man it going bacwards the mot world..and just to add to this a4 page on number plates rfr...discs 1 great...

Posted: Sat Jun 12th, 2010 08:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
rocky69 wrote: I dont see a problem with it, its minimum standards. Why is that so hard to understand, for years you have been failing the discs and then doing a brake test and prooving they were  ok and still doing their job, but I bet you still failed them.

Probably why the 'pitted & grooved' bit has been taken out - testers applying 'service standards' & failing perfectly servicable discs perhaps. ;)

Posted: Sat Jun 12th, 2010 08:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
supertom wrote: well some brake discs with deep scores give good readings but would not last 1 year mor of motorway driving they start to crack up ..did it my self put new pads in shot discs 4 weeks later the discs started to shake when braking took a look the pad was dug in the groves and the outer grover had bits missing holes in the discs..so it cost me more trying to do it how vosa now say to test them....:shock:
Dont forget supertom - the MOT test is the lowest common denominator & not about service standards - as long as the components meet the minimum standards at the time of test. ;)

Posted: Sat Jun 12th, 2010 06:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
supertom
Trade Member

Mana: 
well some brake discs with deep scores give good readings but would not last 1 year mor of motorway driving they start to crack up ..did it my self put new pads in shot discs 4 weeks later the discs started to shake when braking took a look the pad was dug in the groves and the outer grover had bits missing holes in the discs..so it cost me more trying to do it how vosa now say to test them....:shock:

Posted: Sat Jun 12th, 2010 04:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
rocky69

Mana: 
I dont see a problem with it, its minimum standards. Why is that so hard to understand, for years you have been failing the discs and then doing a brake test and prooving they were  ok and still doing their job, but I bet you still failed them.

Posted: Thu Jun 10th, 2010 11:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
big..E. wrote: OMG!! These new Brake Disc regs are VERY WRONG!!!!..I work for a Vehicle Manufacturer in their largest used Car Supermarket in the UK...IE we get all the Part Ex's from all over the country to sell on.....Might be an 07 that we took in or a 54 plate thats been "in stock" for 2 yrs!!....So said 54 plate comes in not been on te road for 2 yrs...Discs ALL round covered in Rot...No "Exessive" judder on the rollers But lookin pretty Goosed thro them 18"" Allys??....WTF?????......:X:X
"WOW":shock::shock::shock:

Have just returned to testing today, after a while "Back in the Workshops",;) and now actually realise what my colleague has been protesting about all week.:shock::shock:

Disc regs as we knew them "Captain";) have been almost totally omitted from the manual, and the "rfr`s":shock:

It seems that "The Lifeboat" needs to be "Launched"?.....:?:? to save those "From Above" comitting "Harri Karri"?:?, it reminds me of the film "The Last Samurai".:(

maybye it`s Mr GB`s exit from power present to all?:?

On The Other Hand,;)

I have had a really Enjoyable time in the Workshops, Rebuilding a V6 2.5 TDI Motor, that had lunched one of its camshaft driven wheels and caused no end of mayhem, totally wrecking the top end of the motor.:shock:

All "Good" Now,:D It runs as sweet as a sewing machine.;)

Ready "Togo"!......?????:?:?

Posted: Thu Jun 10th, 2010 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
supertom
Trade Member

Mana: 
i will phone them tomorrow and see what they got to say or contact email on vts unit..no sure what to do but got to try...:(

Posted: Wed Jun 9th, 2010 11:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
supertom wrote: well what can we all do about this big problem can someone help us ...
has anyone phoned the helpline, or vosa.?:?

Posted: Wed Jun 9th, 2010 08:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
supertom
Trade Member

Mana: 
well what can we all do about this big problem can someone help us ...

Posted: Tue Jun 8th, 2010 10:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
OMG!! These new Brake Disc regs are VERY WRONG!!!!..I work for a Vehicle Manufacturer in their largest used Car Supermarket in the UK...IE we get all the Part Ex's from all over the country to sell on.....Might be an 07 that we took in or a 54 plate thats been "in stock" for 2 yrs!!....So said 54 plate comes in not been on te road for 2 yrs...Discs ALL round covered in Rot...No "Exessive" judder on the rollers But lookin pretty Goosed thro them 18"" Allys??....WTF?????......:X:X

Posted: Tue Jun 8th, 2010 10:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
strudel

Mana: 
More dangerous cars on the road then as customers only want cars through mot as cheap as possible,what next only fail a brake pipe if its leaking !

Last edited on Tue Jun 8th, 2010 10:05 pm by strudel

Posted: Tue Jun 8th, 2010 09:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
too right they have , yet a small chip in the screen is a fail , that small chip is obviously far more dangerous than the knackered brake discs .:shock:

Posted: Tue Jun 8th, 2010 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
supertom
Trade Member

Mana: 
ok if pass and advise the new pads will not last a week so the car will be back .

he will say you done it wrong fitting new pad to shot discs so i will have to try and explane to hime this problem ..vosa have gone very wrong with brakes this time....

Posted: Tue Jun 8th, 2010 08:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
lookin like a rfr on pads and a p&a on discs..even method of inspection has got even more vague:?

Current time is 02:29 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > brake disc Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems