Number of seats (Excluding Driver)  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Mar 25th, 2012 11:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
would have done the same as you regarding the test & paperwork etc . what you have to remember though is if that seat belt had been damaged you would not have been able to fail it , a seat belt is only a testable seat belt when it has a corresponding seat .
it would have had to have been advised passenger seats not fitted at time of test & front nearside seat belt damaged ( no seat fitted ) .
that way you will have completely covered yourself .

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Mar 25th, 2012 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
philgor

Mana: 
not been on here for a while. i've only been testing about 2 month's now, had a few intesting moment's with a few vehicle. i had rank pulled on me when a GT3RS came in. done a 1970 dodge campervan (that was an intresting drive...), also done a corvette aswell.......

had a good one to do with seats on saturday. vauxhall movarno van with the twin passenger seat's. got in it to find the passenger seat were in the back upside down!

carried on with the pre test inspection. and, went to get VRI and to fill the seat's box i had to put 0 in as there were no passenger seat's fitted

was told the seat's had been removed due to a 5mtr carpet they had shifted that morning. so logged the test on and did it as i normaly would. the passenger seat belt is mounted on the vehicle so checked that even thought there is no seat's fitted.

i didnt check the removed seat's in the back because they are removed, but i did still check the seat mounting for the removed seat's due to the condition of the van (i'd describe it as a "bit past it") and advised that the seat's were missing.

would you have done anything differently?

cheer's phil

Last edited on Sun Mar 25th, 2012 11:12 pm by philgor

Posted: Sun Mar 25th, 2012 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
philgor

Mana: 
not been on here for a while. i've only been testing about 2 month's now, had a few intesting moment's with a few vehicle. i had rank pulled on me when a GT3RS came in. done a 1970 dodge campervan (that was an intresting drive...), also done a corvette aswell.......

had a good one to do with seats on saturday. vauxhall movarno van with the twin passenger seat's. got in it to find the passenger seat were in the back upside down!

carried on with the pre teat inspection. and, went to get VRI and to fill the seat's box i had to put 0 in as there were no passenger seat's fitted

was told the seat's had been removed due to a 5mtr carpet they had shifted that morning. so logged the test on and did it as i normaly would. the passenger seat belt is mounted on the vehicle so checked that even thought there is no seat's fitted.

i didnt check the removed seat's in the back because they are removed, but i did still check the seat mounting for the removed seat's due to the condition of the van (i'd describe it as a "bit past it") and advised that the seat's were missing.

would you have done anything differently?

cheer's phil

Posted: Thu Mar 22nd, 2012 07:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
RFR

Mana: 
Proud to be professional wrote:
It was brought up at the last Council Meeting and VOSA are looking into it;)

So no it's not a disciplinary offence.

:):)

Just got back from my local council meeting, finally got permission to speak and I asked about the number of seats and they looked at me stupid and had never heard of VOSA, so what council meetings do you go too and can I come?

rfr:(

Posted: Wed Mar 21st, 2012 06:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
I used to use it a lot when testing class 5, or large class 4 when it was clear more seats could be easly fitted, but now on "regular" class4, Focus, Polo etc its handy to show how meny seats were fitted at time of test :)

Posted: Wed Mar 21st, 2012 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
The box for the NUMBER OF SEATS EXCLUDING THE DRIVER when logging a test on the vts was originally set up for emission purposes  and the ability of recording emission results on the vts device;which never happened.

Never really used this and i  just ignore it,have done for years as i dont think it serves any purpose unless some one knows different:)

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2012 11:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
Logged a MG TF today and it came up with 6 seats:)

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2012 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
- I beleive there's even an advisory for 'seats removed'

;)

Yes there is :)

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2012 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
KevG wrote:
I understand that Stealth.
However my point is this: If I change it from whats on the screen, say 5.
to 4. The next time I test the same car its back to 5 again!
what is logged on the database? my input or the default value?

Similarly, I tested an old Lambretta last year, it was'nt registered with DVLA as it was an Italian import.
I filled in the box as 1 seat excluding rider, the next year it came back as 2. whoever had reissued the MOT at DVLA LVO had altered my input?

So my rear end may not be covered at all?

Any thoughts ?

Kev

My guess would be - and this is only a guess - before certain members start quoting me - is that at log on the VTS device is returning the information held on the DVLA database - ie what's on the log book - which would state the seat numbers INCUDING the driver & 2 seats for bike/scooter manufactured with a pillion seat.

DVLA will not have altered the record for your Lambretta -the log on will have returned the TOTAL number of seats as manufactured.

Your next question of course will be why does the VTS device ask for the number of seats EXCLUDING the driver - I'll need to ask that question myself 'upstairs, before I can give you an answer - but your rear IS covered - I beleive there's even an advisory for 'seats removed'

;)

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2012 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
I understand that Stealth.
However my point is this: If I change it from whats on the screen, say 5.
to 4. The next time I test the same car its back to 5 again!
what is logged on the database? my input or the default value?

Similarly, I tested an old Lambretta last year, it was'nt registered with DVLA as it was an Italian import.
I filled in the box as 1 seat excluding rider, the next year it came back as 2. whoever had reissued the MOT at DVLA LVO had altered my input?

So my rear end may not be covered at all?

Any thoughts ?

Posted: Tue Mar 20th, 2012 06:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
KevG wrote:
What is it for?

Kev

It's to cover your rear end when an unscrupulous presenter takes some seats out of a 16 seat (Class V) minibus & presents it as a Class IV with 9 - 12 passenger seats - or takes out a seat or seats for test because the relevant seat belts are kaput !!

;)

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2012 09:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
whenever i get a vauxhall that comes back as 5 passenger seats its always had its first test at the same main dealer,one of my ex gophers worked there.he reckons the twat concerned was eased into the mot bay due to a lack of ability including the ability to read.....

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2012 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Doesn't it say something like "vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats" ???
I used to use it allot when I did class 5s , now I just correct 5 seater Fiesta and such

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2012 08:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Proud to be professional

Mana: 
It was brought up at the last Council Meeting and VOSA are looking into it;)

So no it's not a disciplinary offence.

:):)

Posted: Mon Mar 19th, 2012 07:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Has any one else noticed how wrong these can be?
Out of 15 MOT's today, twelve came back wrong!
I had a Car in the other day with aparently 16 seats
(Zafira)Ive done a bike with 5 seats!!
I know that the box is optional. But if you do correct it, next test/year its reverted to the previous value anyway.. What is it for?
Also if it is filled in wrong, is it a disciplinary item? Anyone know?

Yours Exasperatedly.

Kev

Current time is 01:46 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > Number of seats (Excluding Driver) Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems