PRS  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 13th, 2008 10:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
we also do class 7 and class5l..as for a lot of junk i send it on somewhere else that undercuts us price wise:Dlets face it if a punter only wants to pay 25quid for an mot then he sure as h*ll wont spend any money on his vehicle maintence:Das for time wise during our assesment the local vosa guy told us not to exceed 15 mot's a day or we will get an enforcement visit:shock:our hours are 7.30am to 5.30pm..i'm much the same never get any breaks and the boss demands an mot every 30mins:shock:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Feb 13th, 2008 10:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
for the hourly rate i'm on i wonder sometimes if it's really worth the hassle .

i do all the tests at work & the boss books them in 1 an hour , first test being 8 o clock , the problem is that i start at eight & normally have to empty the vehicles out of the garage before i can even start .

all it takes is 1 or 2 heaps & i'm screwed for the whole day , sometimes i'm lucky if i get 10 minutes for dinner .

might find myself another job in a different garage , time will tell .:(

Posted: Wed Feb 13th, 2008 07:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
thanks for that,as an aside had an ldv r reg today.wud u believe it werent in bad shape,felt like taking a photo,sending it to the manufacturers and asking if they cud copy it!(as opposed to the thousands out there theyve made a balls of)seriously a bad class 7 can take double the time just on paperwork. when you get up to multiple fails/advises.computer screws up the print more often than not.we aint the only ones wiv problems,precious few 7 stations left locally-most have stopped-cant justify the hassle for fifty quid.

Posted: Wed Feb 13th, 2008 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
yeah , it's bad sometimes.

we do get some nice tidy class7 tests in , we do all the mot's for a local merc van dealer , 3 & 4 year old sprinter's & vito's.

but we do get a rake of pikey transits in as well:X

Posted: Wed Feb 13th, 2008 07:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
911mot

Mana: 
I asked on my latest refresher about average test times and he said not to worry.

Basically it boiled down to you CANNOT be held to account over the time it took to do a test based purely on what the computer says. All cars are different. They have to physically observe you doing something wrong for them to take any action. 

ps you guys testing class 7 - you have my utmost respect.:dude: There's no way on gods earth that I could get out of bed if I knew I had a day of builders vans and pikey transits waiting for me:P 

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 10:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Hi Jim,

I`m pretty sure I read a letter or notice regarding Timings?

Anyone?

Wes.

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 10:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
Stealth wrote: Quick question Wes

- do you test on Saturdays/weekends or just Monday to Friday ?

The reason I ask is that your performance reports are only averaged over 5 days, if you test weekend too then your total tests over the report period are only divided by 5, which could result in the abnormal value.

The more useful report in this case would be a weekly/monthly test log, which will show the start times for all tests, the time taken, and it will also highlight any PRS & retests.

Another comparison tool in your performance report is the average time you take per full test & retest, compared to the national average, which is around the 50 minute mark for full tests.

The *** Abnormal Value indicator shouldnt be viewed in isolation, all the other above factors have to be considered too, so dont get too hung up about it until you take all the other stats in to consideration

:)
went for a job at another test station and the procedure they use is no matter how quick you do the test you dont put your card in until at least 45 minutes have elapsed..kinda makes a mockery of the system..needless to say i declined their offer of employment..still live in hope:Dso if you play the "system" it looks like the mot-comp will not throw up any target based enforcement which i find most unfair on us that are being honest and open on our day to day testing

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 09:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
did an old cf bedford october,came back for retest monday!another guy tested it-you guessed it,essentially the same list as 4 mnths back.the rot appears to have been repaired by expanding foam!we had to explain that this is not generally considered robust enough,poor lass that fetched it in was upset,had paid some clown £2000 cash 2 sort it all out.gets our trade a bad name.

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
just to add , had a quality M reg luton transit in for test at the back end of last year , it failed on chassis corrosion near the rear spring hangers , rotten n/s/f inner wing , split rack gaiter & various other issues.

it came back today for a full retest , it still has most of the inner wing missing , dodgy tyres , dodgy rear lights & now has a fuel cap that doesn't fit , still has the split in the rack gaiter etc.

supposedly the welding had been done on the chassis & was covered in thickly sprayed underseal, i just wondered how they could have welded plates onto the chassis without grinding the rot away first & so decided to prod the "weld" .

surprise surprise , the plates have been clagged on & had a bead of silicone put round the edges & it is meant to look like welding , what do these people take us testers for ?

so all his "welding " has been failed again for inadequate repair.

Last edited on Tue Feb 12th, 2008 07:03 pm by kev1975

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 06:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote: have given up worrying about the performance averages,looked my figures up just after computerisation and multiple stars on pretty much everything!the wording says if u getting abnormal values then u must ask yourself wot u doing wrong-hmmm...could it be that-a-i test bags of s**te-b-my eyesight works-c-i know where to look...p,s my fail rate between 50-70%-yes abnormal value!

i am in the same situation , made worse by the fact that i get some top quality transits for test , think m reg tippers , lutons etc , 5 times round the clock , rotten & falling apart.

i had abnormal values for brakes failures for quite a while , mostly attributed to rear brake application uneven .

on the whole though , we get lots of heaps of sh** in for test at our place .

especially class 7 ;)

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2008 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
have given up worrying about the performance averages,looked my figures up just after computerisation and multiple stars on pretty much everything!the wording says if u getting abnormal values then u must ask yourself wot u doing wrong-hmmm...could it be that-a-i test bags of s**te-b-my eyesight works-c-i know where to look...p,s my fail rate between 50-70%-yes abnormal value!

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
nicknak,  I have done nothing wrong, check your performance report (self)

sunwinluffbra,  thats the way the system is, check your performance report (self)

911mot,  see what I mean? If we get really busy we run a Three man system, One Efficient presenter and Two Testers with overlap.

Stealth,

I don`t work at weekends, not too bothered about this issue because an explanation is easily explained, Unchecked vehicles from a local dealership, most of these vehicles are in for test for the first time.

Personally I don`t agree with the system counting a PRS test as "Two"

If I Fail it, and subsequently "fast track" retest it 5 min later, It only counts as "One Initial Test"

The national average is, "As printed" 52min and mine is 48min, No problems.

I will have a look at the weekly Test log report option next week.

Regards, Wes.

Last edited on Fri Feb 8th, 2008 11:52 pm by Wesley

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 07:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Quick question Wes

- do you test on Saturdays/weekends or just Monday to Friday ?

The reason I ask is that your performance reports are only averaged over 5 days, if you test weekend too then your total tests over the report period are only divided by 5, which could result in the abnormal value.

The more useful report in this case would be a weekly/monthly test log, which will show the start times for all tests, the time taken, and it will also highlight any PRS & retests.

Another comparison tool in your performance report is the average time you take per full test & retest, compared to the national average, which is around the 50 minute mark for full tests.

The *** Abnormal Value indicator shouldnt be viewed in isolation, all the other above factors have to be considered too, so dont get too hung up about it until you take all the other stats in to consideration

:)

Last edited on Fri Feb 8th, 2008 07:09 pm by Stealth

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 06:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
911mot

Mana: 
If you  PRS and add advisories it spits you out a VT20 & VT32 and VT30 & VT32 with different test numbers at the top

I didn't know it counted as two tests though.

PS we have two ramps, one RBT and one Gas Analyser. I do about 15 tests a day averaging just over half an hour each, with a lot of PRS items. I will print a report tommorow and see how abnormal I am :shock:

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 03:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
sunwinluffbra

Mana: 
Can't see why the system counts it as two tests that's daft! So you're kinda damned if you do damned if you don't then? If VOSA catch you not filling in a PRS for an adjustment you'll get a kick in the pants, but the figures look like you're cheating if you do the job properly?:?

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 02:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
nicknak
Trade Member

Mana: 
What warning have you got where from? Is it a system generated message? And if so what makes you think you have done anything wrong?

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2008 11:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
As a Busy One lane Testing Station, We regularly carry out Nine or Ten Tests a Day, We also have Two Gas Analysers due to recent issues, and Secondary ramp.

Being mostly "A Dedicated Tester" has its advantages and or disadvantages,

Starting at 8am and carrying out "One" Test per hour, Thats Eight Tests per day, Plus "One" extra Test by another Tester, While I enjoy a Lunch Break. (normal running times and no overlaps).

Of The Seven or Eight Tests carried out during a Normal Day,

"Three" of these Might require minor adjustments to headlamps, a bulb replacement, or a wiper, Which Vosa want to be recorded.

These Tests Are "PRS" And subsequently by "The Powers to Be" are "Counted" as "Two" Tests! 

***"Abnormal Values"!

Yes! Up come the warning "Stars" and I Have done Nothing Wrong!

I Think "We" need to approach "This Issue"

What do You think?

Wes.

Last edited on Fri Feb 8th, 2008 12:03 am by Wesley

Current time is 06:31 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > PRS Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems