board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, martins, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
If you were in charge what items would you add to the MOT Test?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 2nd, 2009 12:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Spongebob

Mana: 
After some of the cars I've had in recently (not for MOT I hasten to add) I think I'd alter windscreen failure to cover cracks anywhere on the screen inside or outside the swept area above a certain size. It strikes me as bizarre that a crack in the bottom right hand corner of a screen can pass yet bottom left hand will fail (depending on the vehicle of course) just because of how the manufacturer designed the wipers.

I had a Seat Leon in a few weeks back and almost missed a crack which I initially thought looked like a bristle off a brush of some sort sticking up just above the wiper blade. On closer inspection it was a crack which originated from a chip below the wiper line which ran across the lower edge of the screen for at least 12 inches but had also started to grow upwards which is where I saw it. The owner knew the chip was there but wasn't aware that it had turned into a crack of such size. One of those accidents waiting to happen I think.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 10:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
FrankyB
Banned

Mana: 
Spongebob wrote: I think I'd go right through the whole damn book and rewrite it. Drag it screaming and kicking into the modern day. As they so often tell you (usually when something crops up that isn't covered by their RFR's that comon sense says should be) most of what's in there harks back to the early days and just gets added to from time to time.

The example in this months matters of testing querying why a missing anti roll bar linkage isn't a fail yet an insecure one is (you can't fail them for being broken either!!!). As stated in the reply back in days of old you'd just write on the VT 30 that it was missing/broken incorrectly as it happens and leave it at that and all because the anti roll bar is covered under a list of components that would if they were missing/broken render the vehicle untestable.

I'd also add fuel cap missing to class 4 (in addition to its recent appearance as a class 1/2 fail) as it's another one that makes me bang my head against the wall at the stupidity of its absence.

Following that I'd make whoever did the computerisation RFR list by cutting and pasting bits from the testing guide go right back through the entire lot and make sure they were presented in proper English sentences that read right, starting with bulbs that have not in good working order (not working) and tyres is incorrect because tyres of different sizes are fitted to the same axle. It really pees me off that we're made to look even more like a bunch of illiterate morons than we already do just because someone cocked up the basics.

Hello brand new here today, just like to say yeah i agree manual/computer needs a rethink throughout.

FrankyB:dude:

Posted: Wed Nov 26th, 2008 07:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Spongebob

Mana: 
I think I'd go right through the whole damn book and rewrite it. Drag it screaming and kicking into the modern day. As they so often tell you (usually when something crops up that isn't covered by their RFR's that comon sense says should be) most of what's in there harks back to the early days and just gets added to from time to time.

The example in this months matters of testing querying why a missing anti roll bar linkage isn't a fail yet an insecure one is (you can't fail them for being broken either!!!). As stated in the reply back in days of old you'd just write on the VT 30 that it was missing/broken incorrectly as it happens and leave it at that and all because the anti roll bar is covered under a list of components that would if they were missing/broken render the vehicle untestable.

I'd also add fuel cap missing to class 4 (in addition to its recent appearance as a class 1/2 fail) as it's another one that makes me bang my head against the wall at the stupidity of its absence.

Following that I'd make whoever did the computerisation RFR list by cutting and pasting bits from the testing guide go right back through the entire lot and make sure they were presented in proper English sentences that read right, starting with bulbs that have not in good working order (not working) and tyres is incorrect because tyres of different sizes are fitted to the same axle. It really pees me off that we're made to look even more like a bunch of illiterate morons than we already do just because someone cocked up the basics.

Posted: Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 10:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
i remember being out in a ford orion with a mate , we came over a humped back brige on a dark night & the lights went out , they came on again when we got over the bridge .
pulled in to check & found a lovely burn mark on the bonnet where the live lead had shorted , not good .

Posted: Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 10:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
I agree too....If a vehicle does not meet the "minimum requirement" in the rollers or has an obvious leak/major brake defect we should not allow the vehicle back on the road..

If a vehicle which I failed caused a fatal accident.(due to the failed items)...I PERSONALLY would feel totally gutted that VOSA had ALLOWED ME to let a presenter drive a vehicle which should NOT be on the road,IN MY OPINION.....:X

Posted: Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 10:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
David
Banned

Mana: 
kev1975 wrote: i would make insecure battery a fail , give every testing station  a light testing meter & start failing all these cars with the blacked out front side windows .

on cars & vans the minimum tread depth would be 3mm , high beam warning light & instrument cluster illumination would be in there as rfr's.

all driveshaft boots , front or rear , inner or outer & prop shafts would be in the rfr's.

the list goes on ;)

The battery makes a lot of sense, can't understand why the Department of Transport removed it as a testable item, or was that VI?

Had a car in a few weeks ago with an insecure battery, the cables corroded and terminals loose, electricals failed during the mot test, I thought assistant was playing a joke or something, turned out corroded earth cable departed bodywork and then ALL ELECTRICS failed?

Just image driving along motorway and that happens?

I am sure that type of problems is considered dangerous to road safety?

David:D

Posted: Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 09:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
David wrote: Had a Toyota in today where the steel brake pipes leaked under load leaving no service brake, although recorded it as dangerous to drive, driver drove it home after it being explained to him, then he said on the phone "My brakes don't feel to good what have you done to them"?

These type of defects should permit the tester to issue an order to prevent the vehicle being driven away from the station in the interest of road safety and other users.

totally agree with you there , i had a fiesta in a while back & both rear  brake pipes burst on test , bloke drove it away with no brakes , insane.

Posted: Sat Nov 22nd, 2008 09:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
David
Banned

Mana: 
Had a Toyota in today where the steel brake pipes leaked under load leaving no service brake, although recorded it as dangerous to drive, driver drove it home after it being explained to him, then he said on the phone "My brakes don't feel to good what have you done to them"?

These type of defects should permit the tester to issue an order to prevent the vehicle being driven away from the station in the interest of road safety and other users.

Posted: Sat Nov 15th, 2008 11:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
gluther
Trade Member

Mana: 
Totally agree also, in fact, mentioned this a previous post a while back!!

Graham

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 11:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
totally agree with that :D

Posted: Fri Nov 14th, 2008 11:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
David
Banned

Mana: 
One thing that is really annoying when testing vehicles is normally only found out when it is to late, after completing the test, the drivers side window is normally opened so I can reach for the brake tester controls, sometimes the door window falls out, it should be a test item to ensure it works ok, then its not our fault for opening the dam thing to do the test?

Edited to correct couple of spelling mistakes

Last edited on Fri Nov 14th, 2008 11:19 pm by David

Posted: Thu Sep 11th, 2008 08:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
David
Banned

Mana: 
I have noticed today in the manual that looking in the section on wheels and tyres, the manual says that it is not necessary to remove wheel trims, so then, if a tester cannot see in between the trim and the wheel, and wheel nuts are missing, so long as the wheel is secure at the time of inspection, if the wheel vibrates loose after the inspection when out on the road, its the drivers fault for not ensuring that the vehicle was maintained correctly, the tester cannot be held accountable as it cannot be forseen.

Posted: Wed Sep 10th, 2008 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
You never kept your "comforter"?:D

Posted: Wed Sep 10th, 2008 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
martins wrote: Does this shed any light?

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2013%20-%20Oct%202001%20.pdf

OK so with the owners manual its easy..But where in the scheme of things do we have to refer to any "manual" other than our own??

AND WHERE DOES THE BLANKET COME FROM...?????????   I ain't got one!!

Posted: Wed Sep 10th, 2008 08:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
Does this shed any light?

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2013%20-%20Oct%202001%20.pdf

Posted: Wed Sep 10th, 2008 07:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
jonnyjohnson

Mana: 
So are you allowed to open this bonnet?

Posted: Wed Sep 10th, 2008 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
that is correct , the bonnet release handle opens the front grille , there is an oil filler , dipstick & screenwash filler behind the grille .

there are 2 plastic screws behind there as well , unscrew them by hand & the bonnet lifts off .

Last edited on Wed Sep 10th, 2008 06:15 pm by kev1975

Posted: Wed Sep 10th, 2008 04:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
jonnyjohnson

Mana: 
Am I correct in thinking that the Audi A2 doesn’t have a bonnet to open?

Posted: Wed Sep 10th, 2008 11:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
Hence, as in Republic of Ireland, wheel trims removed by presenter prior to Test. Of course there's nothing to stop vehicle presenters doing it in GB, if they want their wheels looked at properly, but why would they, if it means their car might fail on something revealed by removing the wheel trims?
In Italy they also check tyre pressures.

Posted: Tue Sep 9th, 2008 11:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
jonnyjohnson wrote: A wheel trim could hide a number of serious defects, especially when it is secured with cable tie!

"Cable Tie"...Hmmm!..Now lets think on........."Lightyears ahead".........VOSA allow the "Removal of Covers to conduct a full examination of testable items,so long as unavoidable damage to retaining devices allow access"..Or words to that effect..To CYA..;)..

Lets face it in a few years we will have to "remove" covers to conduct a PROPER EXAMINATION of components..Otherwise in most cases there will be no need to open the Bonnet,because "No components are visible" and the same when inspecting from below..:(..

Mr Cable tie will be even more popular with "Joe and Dodgy Trader"...;)  

Current time is 11:40 pm Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > If you were in charge what items would you add to the MOT Test? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems