board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

imi training

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Agency testers  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 14th, 2010 02:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
keith

Mana: 
I have a freelance testers business and trust me once inland revenue find out they dig deep, I worked for a garage that was fined £10000 for employing someone as self employed and this was down to ....they told him what time he started an finished

read up what self employement means on the goverment website before you get fined £2000......I speak from experience.

I had to become a limited business with all the trimmings to match, costs went up from there. get onboard with a company that deals with this side and let them deal with the legal bit....I know you aint been caught yet.......YET

Hurts when you do.

best bet when your over that bit its easy, get logged on, qc on first test then get logged off the system when your finished at the garage, if there longer than a month then get QC'd every month but make sure your removed went you dont test every day. Moral is if your not there then you sould not be registered..

cheers - Keith

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Sep 12th, 2009 04:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Cheers Stealth,

Thanks for the info.;)

Regards,

Wes.:cool:

Posted: Sat Sep 12th, 2009 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
I know of at least one freelance in my area.

He works predominantly for one site, and is paid a fee for each test. Monthly QC checks are done at this site.

He freelances at a few other sites to cover holidays etc, and when workloads increase he comes in to assist the AE/tester at those sites - most of which are one man + apprentice type businesses.

The AE's at these sites just add/remove him from the site via the VTS device, and record a QC against him whilst he's working there. In some months he will have more than the minimum QC checks recorded against him if he's temping at more than one site.

VOSA random spot check visits tend to focus on the results of recent MOT tests, re-examination of vehicles recently tested, consequently if he's testing at a site when VOSA pays a visit - he will more than likely be available for the re-inspection.

There are a few multi-site dealerships who list ALL their testers on the VT26 at each site - to allow flexibility of staff cover. Each testers QC records can be accessed via reports from the VTS device, so as long as the minimum monthly check is recorded for each tester, usually at his main site, it's deemed to be acceptable.

;)

Last edited on Sat Sep 12th, 2009 12:42 am by Stealth

Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2009 04:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Hi RCP7020 and raf001,

Being "Freelance Testers", How do you manage to get around or cover, "QC Checks" and VOSA`s Random Spot Check visits, Annual or more frequent visits depending upon the Individual Site/ AE`s "Scores"?

How Large an Area are you allowed to cover and How Many VE`s cover that Area?

It All Reads a bit, too good to be true, and many of us might be tempted to pursue this option.

Genuinely Looking forward to your replies, As there are currently No "Freelance Testers" In Our Area.

Regards,

Wes.

Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2009 12:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
You and raf001 should re-post in the 'Testers for Hire' section.

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 11:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
RCP7020

Mana: 
Hi I am class 3, 4, & 7 Working in Norwich

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 01:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
nicknak
Trade Member

Mana: 
Things are not good at my place of work (two bounced wage cheques in two weeks) and I reckon I'll be out of a job in the next few weeks. I'm currently putting feelers out and am looking to jump ship before it goes down, I have kids and a morgage and can't really afford to be out of work for long.

I fancy temping out rather than being stuck in one place again, looks like there could be a gap in the market here?

DEJA VU Have we not been here before???

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 06:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
raf001

Mana: 

Last edited on Fri May 14th, 2010 05:22 am by raf001

Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2009 03:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
removalizer
Trade Member

Mana: 
Go for it, its easy all you have to do is go knocking on doors and meet the bosses face to face tell them what you can do for them then keep pestering them until they do, thats how I got my trade customers.

Watch the apprentice on Wed night, you will see how its done

Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2009 02:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
steveeub

Mana: 
Things are not good at my place of work (two bounced wage cheques in two weeks) and I reckon I'll be out of a job in the next few weeks. I'm currently putting feelers out and am looking to jump ship before it goes down, I have kids and a morgage and can't really afford to be out of work for long.

I fancy temping out rather than being stuck in one place again, looks like there could be a gap in the market here?

Posted: Thu Mar 19th, 2009 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
removalizer
Trade Member

Mana: 
if you find one let me know i have been looking for 2 years for a temp tester so i can have a holiday. i daren't shut the place down for fear of losing my regular trade customers

Posted: Wed Mar 18th, 2009 06:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
steveeub

Mana: 
Hi all, I'm not sure this is the right section so please be kind to a newbie!

Does anyone know of any agencys in the northwest (bolton areas) that temp out testers for sickness leave ect?

Cheers

Steve

Current time is 09:47 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Testers Wanted | MOT Forum > Agency testers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems