"Cowboy Customers"  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 3rd, 2009 09:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
hope you added a few quid more for storage etc,seems a shame not to make a bad situation come good....

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Oct 1st, 2009 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
relisys

Mana: 
Not so long ago a customer of mine who ran a transport firm went bust owing me near £1000.   I had the van in the yard when the finance company came knocking wanting the van.  There is a peice of law (name escapes me) which requires the finance company to discharge any debt on the item before they can remove / dispose of it.  With some regret they paid my bill then added it to the customers finance debt.
I got my money, they got there van and that was the end of it.
Worth bearing in mind as number of people going bust or defaulting seems to have rocketed.

Posted: Thu Sep 24th, 2009 12:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Dynamic Balance wrote: Wesley wrote: Dynamic Balance wrote: Wesley wrote: castrolrob wrote: its always been the case that certain members/fraternities of our society will take advantage by stopping cheques/driving off etc,the do as you likeys that infest every garage at one time or another are only the most common/obvious example.nothing new about it,just make sure you got the car until the cheque clears...

Is the keeping of the vehicle got something to do with an "Act of Leon"?:? cant really remember that part.;)

Had one many years back now who tried the "drive off" option, we disabled his vehicle on the forecourt and he stomped off down the road to the plod, by the time they got back to us, the "bald tyres" were re-fitted, "you cant keep my car" he protested so we gave him his keys back, he drove off the forecourt and the plod nicked him.:D

You can only hold a customers vehicle called "Lien" Torts Interference with Goods if money is owed to you by that vehicle. If a customer presents a vehicle to you in any condition, dangerous or not but owes you NO money, they are entitled to drive that vehiicle away even if you advise them it is dangerous.

DB:)

Hi DB,

So thats an "Act of Lien" then? Whats the Torts Interference part?:?

Thanks,

Wes.

You sound like a tortfeaser to me:D

DB;)

Anagrams "Lure";):D

Posted: Wed Sep 23rd, 2009 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
depends on whether the law listen to him,check his id,and then nick him for undischarged warrants really doesnt it.our only issue was stopping his mates wrecking the place of a nite and trying to get recompense for the (damaged)chain.

Posted: Tue Sep 22nd, 2009 11:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Dynamic Balance wrote: Wesley wrote: castrolrob wrote: its always been the case that certain members/fraternities of our society will take advantage by stopping cheques/driving off etc,the do as you likeys that infest every garage at one time or another are only the most common/obvious example.nothing new about it,just make sure you got the car until the cheque clears...

Is the keeping of the vehicle got something to do with an "Act of Leon"?:? cant really remember that part.;)

Had one many years back now who tried the "drive off" option, we disabled his vehicle on the forecourt and he stomped off down the road to the plod, by the time they got back to us, the "bald tyres" were re-fitted, "you cant keep my car" he protested so we gave him his keys back, he drove off the forecourt and the plod nicked him.:D

You can only hold a customers vehicle called "Lien" Torts Interference with Goods if money is owed to you by that vehicle. If a customer presents a vehicle to you in any condition, dangerous or not but owes you NO money, they are entitled to drive that vehiicle away even if you advise them it is dangerous.

DB:)

Hi DB,

So thats an "Act of Lien" then? Whats the Torts Interference part?:?

Thanks,

Wes.

Posted: Tue Sep 22nd, 2009 08:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
try a chain around the back axle when you know its a pikey,hook it up to a concrete post,keep keys because it aint paid for,watch the smug look on his face as he drives off with the spare set laughing even when he has been told not to.laugh hysterically as his axle flies across your fore court.dont get mad,get even.

Posted: Mon Sep 21st, 2009 11:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote: its always been the case that certain members/fraternities of our society will take advantage by stopping cheques/driving off etc,the do as you likeys that infest every garage at one time or another are only the most common/obvious example.nothing new about it,just make sure you got the car until the cheque clears...

Last edited on Mon Sep 21st, 2009 11:21 pm by Wesley

Posted: Mon Sep 21st, 2009 09:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
its always been the case that certain members/fraternities of our society will take advantage by stopping cheques/driving off etc,the do as you likeys that infest every garage at one time or another are only the most common/obvious example.nothing new about it,just make sure you got the car until the cheque clears...

Posted: Sat Sep 12th, 2009 12:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Dynamic Balance wrote: I think every argument is six of one and half the dozen of the other with business relations. I have seen in my time many people ripped off by garages, and I have seen customers who have no paid their invoices, who is right and wrong at the end of the day?

Let's say a customer has a service and does not pay for it, the garage lets the vehicle go by some agreement and then never gets paid, that's the garages fault. Then the owner is disgruntled because he has been ripped off, so wants the money back, then the next customer arrives through the door and has £600 of work done on their motor. While driving home that customer gets a road side check and the vehicle is prohibited, the customer shows the receipt and hey, the customer has been ripped off.

Now turn the situation on its head and look at it the opposite way, the argument is six of one and half a dozen of the other is it not?

When I started my present job at this garage I am at a few years ago, a customer who was a regular each year came in for an mot test, this was my first year there. The Vaxhall Cavalier required welding to both the nearside and offside front suspension prescribed areas, and the customer a plumber by trade made his own fuel filler neck out of drain pipe, the only problem he had was that he needed a flange making to seal the fuel cap properly, but other than that he had done a good job.

The customer spoke to the AE who gave him a price for the welding repairs and other bits, the AE kept the car for a day then issued a VT20, the customer left happy.

12 months later the customer returns and I remember the car, I do my pre-checks and hey, the fuel cap flange is just the same?

I test the car but all the prescribed areas which I chalked up the previous year are all still excessively corroded, which I fail again. The customer arrives and says he paid for all this the previous year and he is not paying it again, the customer has never returned since.

Bad customers or bad garages or both, what is the answer?

I gave one example above, this type of thing goes on every day, how come VOSA seem never to pick up on any of this?

DB

Hi DB,

Obviously, A "Scenario/Example" of what can, might, and possibly does happen.:shock:

The Program, Was about Other Businesses Experiencing such issues that "We" in The Motortrade have experienced for many years.;)

It seemed a bit de-ja-vu, And as such, I was able to browse from the "Outside";)

It Wasn`t about "Cowboy Businesses" Carrying out "Poor Workmanship", "BUT" about "Joe Public" Extracting the Urine" Out of "Genuine Businesses Providing A Good Service" And Never Getting Paid!:shock:

Last edited on Sat Sep 12th, 2009 12:18 am by Wesley

Posted: Fri Sep 11th, 2009 08:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Dynamic Balance

Mana: 
I think every argument is six of one and half the dozen of the other with business relations. I have seen in my time many people ripped off by garages, and I have seen customers who have no paid their invoices, who is right and wrong at the end of the day?

Let's say a customer has a service and does not pay for it, the garage lets the vehicle go by some agreement and then never gets paid, that's the garages fault. Then the owner is disgruntled because he has been ripped off, so wants the money back, then the next customer arrives through the door and has £600 of work done on their motor. While driving home that customer gets a road side check and the vehicle is prohibited, the customer shows the receipt and hey, the customer has been ripped off.

Now turn the situation on its head and look at it the opposite way, the argument is six of one and half a dozen of the other is it not?

When I started my present job at this garage I am at a few years ago, a customer who was a regular each year came in for an mot test, this was my first year there. The Vaxhall Cavalier required welding to both the nearside and offside front suspension prescribed areas, and the customer a plumber by trade made his own fuel filler neck out of drain pipe, the only problem he had was that he needed a flange making to seal the fuel cap properly, but other than that he had done a good job.

The customer spoke to the AE who gave him a price for the welding repairs and other bits, the AE kept the car for a day then issued a VT20, the customer left happy.

12 months later the customer returns and I remember the car, I do my pre-checks and hey, the fuel cap flange is just the same?

I test the car but all the prescribed areas which I chalked up the previous year are all still excessively corroded, which I fail again. The customer arrives and says he paid for all this the previous year and he is not paying it again, the customer has never returned since.

Bad customers or bad garages or both, what is the answer?

I gave one example above, this type of thing goes on every day, how come VOSA seem never to pick up on any of this?

DB

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 12:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Hi Guys,

Have Just watched a program on "T" Telly (Simon Melly),;)

"Basically";)  It was about "Joe Publics" Other Dark side, taking advantage of Independent Businesses who provide Good Service, But Sadly are Never Paid.:(

It Mainly Covered "Building Issues" But Sadly Affects Us All.:(

Has Anyone Ever Experienced "This Issue"?:?

I Am Fully Aware of The "Payment Up Front" For the Inspection";)

Having previous experience on this subject, I am loooking to seek other peoples views.;)

Laters,

Wes.

Current time is 12:17 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > General Off-Topic 'Discussions' - when it gets down to the fine detail | MOT Forum > "Cowboy Customers" Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems