Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

 Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer  
Trade Member

Joined: Wed Jan 30th, 2008
Location: Um Bongo Um Bongo They Drink It In The, Congo
Posts: 685
relisys...Thanks your answer is very useful to me..:)


Joined: Tue Aug 18th, 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 43

I came from the insurance industry so I can tell you that:

CAT A - Vehicle must be destroyed by registered breaker with all identification such as VIN plate removed.  This is cases such as burnt out vehicles

CAT B - Vehicle must be broken for spare parts only by registered breaker and can not be issued with V5 etc. All identification must be removed ie VIN plate. Cases where vehicle has been compromised or identity unknown ie roof cut off follwing accident, cloned vehicle original identity unknown

CAT C - Vehicle sold as salvage usually to registered breakers as cost of repair exceeds ABI repair cost formula.  This is usually where cost or repair is pretty clear ie heavy impact so you know cost exceeds cars value. 

CAT D - Cost of repair likly to exceed value, usually where there is a probability of other damage that may not be easily visable, say car has mounted kerb and in addition to say drive shaft damage may be internal gearbox damage but you dont know for sure.

VIC establishes identity of repaired vehicle and has no bearing on damage or quality f repair.

We never asked for engineers reports unless a claim was made at a later date. Say that you repaired a CAT C and then you were in an accident and the repair was substandard but had no impact on your accident, for instance poor colour match on paint and poor panel fit, we would simply reduce your claim pay out to reflect condition of vehicle.  We would use in house engineers to inspect for this purpose.

Sorry its long winded but I hpe that helps.

Super Moderator

Joined: Wed Oct 31st, 2007
Location: Back To Reality, United Kingdom
Posts: 1550
I dont go into that area very often, but I'm sure it's your insurance company that will perhaps request an engineers report - it usually depends on how bad the damage was. I would speak to them first of all.

Cat C is normally what the underwriters consider to be an uneconomical repair but where the car is deemed not to be so badly damaged that repair would be unsafe.

The VIC check is only to establish that the identity of the car matches it's DVLA record - in other words it's not been cloned or 'rung'

Trade Member

Joined: Tue Sep 25th, 2007
Location: Wanted
Posts: 1841
Hi Guys,

"A Long time ago"........, Way......., Before.......,Any...., "SVA" Requirements........,;).  There Was, "Always" An "Engineers Report" Requirement for Any modifications, eg; engines, suspensions, brakes, kit cars etc etc; Which were normally carried out at your Local Garage or Testing Station, Letter Compiled.;)

A recent enquiry requests Information regarding a "Cat C Repair," In which We are Advised covers the VIC check, Which is as posted checked at a Vosa Station.

Is this an Acceptable Check on the Condition or Roadworthiness of a vehicle to the Current Requirements and All of the Current Regulations Concerned, Or Does the requirement to have an "Engineers Report" Still Stand?:?   

Thanks Guys,

Laters, Wes.;)

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems