New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Class IV ATL Equipment Recommendations  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 08:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
karlosthejackel

Mana: 
Cheers Kev. Ive found some cars might not go thru at say 2000 revs but with a slight raise to 2200 straight in the green-time to run and hit the button lol. Your crypton must have been a better model to the one i used-i definately miss that feature on the test lane im using now.

Karl

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 08:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi Karlos agree with all you say.
you said;
"Also emissions machine wise, the sun is the only one you can visibly check the values of the CO and lambda before hitting the button "

However

My crypton machine will display gas levels during/before the test. Very useful indeed.

If the lambda is a bit high, (Small hole in exhaust system ) put a rag up the exhaust as this will cause the lambda to go down into the Green. Don't do this on an actual test though, handy for pre-tests/diagnosis etc though. (To prove its the ex. leak causing the problem)

Kev

Posted: Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
karlosthejackel

Mana: 
Hi ive used tecalemit,bradbury,crypton and sun(snap on). If i bought an atl lane it would be the sun with the 4 post. 2 reasons i prefer 4 post to scissor is that you can duck both sides of the ramp to assess sill corrosion on inner and outer sills-with a scissor you have to walk round which can be a pain if testing the same area of corrosion. The other reason i prefer 4 post is the "magic eye" on the tecalemit is right in the way of where you would jack most vehicles so when youve sent it up the ramp won come back down unless you push the vehicle back to jack it up-again time consuming and general pain in the a**e. Also emissions machine wise the sun is the only one you can  visibly check the values of the CO and lambda before hitting the button and starting the test. others just start to count down and if one of the values is slightly out it takes you straight to the full cat test. Some cars need more pre conditioning and the sun machines allow you to monitor this before starting the fast idle-i just find it much easier to know where you stand-again saves time. The only downside id say with the sun ATL is the noise from the shaker plates rattling the the safety latches on all 4 corners of the ramp but i have heard they have been modified since?

At the place where i used the sun we were averaging 140 tests per week on two identical bays. All the equipment performed well-one ramp blew a guide roller after 2 years and the emissions machines liked a clean out at least twice a week. The brake testers never failed but loved a printer ribbon or two!

If not then MAHA-built to order but much more costly than any of the others by far

Posted: Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 02:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
SeanC

Mana: 
Hi,

We're looking to upgrade one of our Class IV MOT bays to OPT using an ATL and would be very much like to hear some recommendations on anyone using an ATL, good and bad.

I suppose as we have two newish Crypton gas analysers it would make sense to go with them but not so sure on the reliability side of things. Maha would be nice. Not had much success with Tecalemit equipment in the past and would prefer a make whose brake tester can ideally be calibrated by us or several companies.

Also would anyone recommend a scissor lift over a 4 post lift?

Regards

Sean

Current time is 08:05 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Equipment Forum - Advice on Parts, Service, Performance etc | MOT Forum > Class IV ATL Equipment Recommendations Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems