New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
KWIK FIT MOTS  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 15th, 2010 08:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
tooner

Mana: 
The old drum and shoes that are going to be removed from your car on repair will be the physical evidence as to what was the initial fault on the car.

When you get the work done, get a look at the drum and the brake shoes that are coming off.

If Kwik fit are correct in what they are saying then the friction surface on the inside of the drum should be bright blue from over-heating and the shoes should be worn past the friction material and onto the backing plate (i doubt they will be) This will show the brake was binding enough.

If there isnt severe wear on these parts then Kwik-fit havent got a leg to stand on with that excuse

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Mar 12th, 2010 09:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Spunkymonkey

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote: lets be honest here,the twats have overtightened a basic taper bearing end of.

Nothing like coming straight to the point, is there? :D:D:D

As they say on their ads, you'll be amazed what they can do :shock:

Posted: Fri Mar 12th, 2010 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
lets be honest here,the twats have overtightened a basic taper bearing end of.

Posted: Fri Mar 12th, 2010 08:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Spunkymonkey

Mana: 
garage express wrote: .... I've been in the trade 10 yrs and i havent come accross brake shoes binding on and causing the wheel bearing to break down yet. Some may have but we always see something new everyday.

Possibly because by the time that happened you'd almost certainly have boiled your brake fluid and have noticed there was a problem when the pedal went to the floor.

Most lithium greases are rated to at least 120 degrees and will still lubricate well above that for short periods.  To get the bearing (which is mounted in a nice big heat sink) to that sort of temperature using heat generated outside the bearing (like, in the brakes) would mean the brakes themselves would have to be at really silly temperature. 

Seeing as there's a much more direct path for heat to flow from the shoes / pads to the brake fluid it doesn't take the brains of a Kwik-fit Fitter to work out what's going to overheat first!

Posted: Tue Mar 9th, 2010 07:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
I once had a rear wheel bearing collapse without warning on my old nova , was doing about 80 at the time & it wasn't nice going a bit sideways on a slightly damp road , my mate had only fitted the bearing 3 days before :X
I had been busy doing some jobs on the front end & my mate had offered to do the rear bearing so we would get finished quicker , could have had me killed :X

Posted: Tue Mar 9th, 2010 03:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
krichards

Mana: 
Yes, the RAC report says wheel-bearing failure. Have e-mailed their head office after being on hold for 15 mins. Will ring them again this afternoon. Car is currently at the same place, so I am hoping to sort this out before picking it up tomorrow. Cheers for the advice.

Posted: Tue Mar 9th, 2010 03:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
garage express
Trade Member

Mana: 
They possibly over-tightened the wheel bearing (it's normal for monkey trained lol) i would definatly contact the head office and speak to them about it. Does the RAC report say wheel bearing failure. I've been in the trade 10 yrs and i havent come accross brake shoes binding on and causing the wheel bearing to break down yet. Some may have but we always see something new everyday.

Posted: Tue Mar 9th, 2010 02:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
krichards

Mana: 
Thanks for the reply. The other failures were emissions, anti-roll bar bushes and the nearside rear wheel-bearing. After replacing all parts and re-testing emissions with a warm engine, it passed. No mention of brakes in failure notice.

Posted: Tue Mar 9th, 2010 01:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
garage express
Trade Member

Mana: 
You need to explain what the other failures were. There are possible options to the handbrake shoes overheating, 1 maybe that they adjusted them when they replaced the bearing, the may have over-tightened the bearing causing it to fail and not the brakes causing the wheel bearing to fail!! Apart from this they offer a 12 month warranty on all work carried out and mention that you believe it was the wheel bearing that was faulty and not your brakes, they have to prove you otherwise therefore the repairs should be carried out under warranty. Also speak to their head office, they dont like complaints and normally give in, in some way or form.

Posted: Tue Mar 9th, 2010 12:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
krichards

Mana: 
Hello- I'm new to this forum but need an opinion/advice as to whether I am being conned by my local Kwik Fit branch. In mid-November 2009 I took my Mk.3 Golf for an MOT. One of the failures was a 'rough' offside rear wheel-bearing, along with some other things. NOTE: The handbrake wasn't one of the failures. I was charged £230 (with a discount) for everything and drove away. A day ago, and 8000 miles later, I almost crashed when I lost all brake power to my rear wheels and smoke was seen pouring out of the offside rear wheel. The RAC man who trailered me said that my offside rear wheel-bearing had completely collapsed, my wheel was moving from side to side alarmingly and I was lucky not to have ended up in a ditch. I took the car back to the Kwik Fit centre and have been told that the handbrake was binding, which caused the shoes to heat-expand and cause the bearing to collapse. I thought that any issues with the handbrake would have been picked up at MOT, but was told that it 'can just happen'. Also, the age of my car (1996) and its high mileage (now on 178k/MOTd on 170k) are the issue. Kwik Fit have not said they are at fault- I didn't really expect them to. Now I need £220 worth of work done on my braking system because of the heat and structural damage this bearing collapse caused. Basically, as I don't know much about cars, does the Kwik Fit story sound plausible. If so, I will pay up happily but I just wanted some expert advice. Cheers.

Current time is 03:27 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > KWIK FIT MOTS Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems