board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
MOT Test Frequency  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Dec 16th, 2010 12:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
This is from VOSA's 2009-10 Effectiveness Report.

Speaks for itself...

Attachment: motfailrates.png (Downloaded 27 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Dec 15th, 2010 11:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
stevedehtiar
Trade Member

Mana: 
it beyond belief that they are seriously considering this.. :( there is a worringly high percentage of vehicle owners that use the mot test as their only vehicle check over..  :shock: dangerous roads ahead me thinks..

Posted: Fri Nov 5th, 2010 11:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ian Hutchinson

Mana: 
i recently serviced a 2008 car and it required two front brake pipes, two tyres and a couple of bulbs. now if it had to have a M.O.T it would have failed so how can they say that a car can go three years without a test. plus, if they are on about altering the test gaps what will they do about driving instructors cars that do 2000 mile a week for example lol :):):P:P:):)

Posted: Fri Oct 29th, 2010 04:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Clifford Pope

Mana: 
Why not extend the period for historical vehicles only? They do very small mileages and are mostly loved and well-maintained by low-risk drivers.

Or change the due date from annual to change of owner? That would catch people dumping cars with known faults but still with MOTs.

Posted: Fri Oct 29th, 2010 04:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Clifford Pope

Mana: 
Why not extend the period for historical vehicles only? They do very small mileages and are mostly loved and well-maintained by low-risk drivers.

Or change the due date from annual to change of owner? That would catch people dumping cars with known faults but still with MOTs.

Posted: Fri Oct 29th, 2010 03:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Clifford Pope

Mana: 

Posted: Thu Oct 21st, 2010 08:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
Hi Wes,

The links are still active, and we have had many responses from visitors to the website.

Many people in the industry are working hard to get the proposal to extend the periodicity of the MOT stopped. There will be lots more about it in the November edition of MOT Testing magazine.

Posted: Wed Oct 20th, 2010 10:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
martins wrote: Thanks Wes, and all those who have responded to the website page.

We're getting a good response from the page on the website,
http://www.motester.co.uk/TradeMagazines/MOTTestingMagazine/MOTSchemeEvidenceBaseReport/PROTESTAGAINSTMOTFREQUENCYCHANGEPROPOSAL.aspx
But considering the disastrous effects of this proposal, if it goes through, on both road safety and the MOT and vehicle servicing industry, there is no room for complacency (or apathy) at all.

Everyone should be clear: this will be disastrous, and the only way to stop it is to let those who are driving the change know that very large numbers of people in the industry predict a disaster and strongly advise against it.

Hi Martins,

Have just had a browse of the latest "mag",

Is this link or any other link still active? Or has the Door been closed after the horse has bolted?:shock:

thanks,

wes.

Posted: Thu Sep 9th, 2010 08:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Did anyone see the dept of transpt spokswoman on about the effect on road saftyby switching off a few street lamps beetween 1 and 5 am? Talk about hypocrite :shock: Made me so angry I was tempted to thow somthing at the telly!!

I have had a reply from my mp, who agrees with me, us, and has written to minister of transport  

Posted: Thu Aug 19th, 2010 07:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
garage express
Trade Member

Mana: 
Right now signed hopefully this time they might listen!!!!

Posted: Tue Aug 17th, 2010 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote: Thanks for the link, I have duly signed. Has anyone thought to send an e-mail with link to the page to their mp? as only the members of that club can stop this stupid idea in its tracks

We should all lobby our local "mp`s" until we can find the one that got away at the last election process??,,,,,,,,,,,,:?, And Identify "Him"!?:shock:

Last edited on Wed Aug 18th, 2010 12:01 am by Wesley

Posted: Tue Aug 17th, 2010 08:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Thanks for the link, I have duly signed. Has anyone thought to send an e-mail with link to the page to their mp? as only the members of that club can stop this stupid idea in its tracks

Posted: Tue Aug 17th, 2010 05:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
martins wrote: By all means bimmer, the more response we get the better!
Duly signed & appropriate comments made. :shock:

Posted: Tue Aug 17th, 2010 12:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
By all means bimmer, the more response we get the better!

Posted: Tue Aug 17th, 2010 12:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
some car stickers, and flyers to hand out to our customers and put in reception would be a good idea. Martins, can i put a link on my website to the web address you posted as this gets many hits.

Last edited on Tue Aug 17th, 2010 12:15 pm by bimmer

Posted: Tue Aug 17th, 2010 10:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
Thanks Wes, and all those who have responded to the website page.

We're getting a good response from the page on the website,
http://www.motester.co.uk/TradeMagazines/MOTTestingMagazine/MOTSchemeEvidenceBaseReport/PROTESTAGAINSTMOTFREQUENCYCHANGEPROPOSAL.aspx
But considering the disastrous effects of this proposal, if it goes through, on both road safety and the MOT and vehicle servicing industry, there is no room for complacency (or apathy) at all.

Everyone should be clear: this will be disastrous, and the only way to stop it is to let those who are driving the change know that very large numbers of people in the industry predict a disaster and strongly advise against it.

Posted: Tue Aug 17th, 2010 12:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Hi martins,

an excellent and descriptive write up in the latest editorial magazine,;)

which clearly emphasises the need for "all" of "us" to register our disbeleif!  in what the government are still reviewing.:shock:

I would like to meet, "the said minister" and advise "him" of "his" missinterpereted or inadequate information regarding a world leading subject on road safety!

"and then some"!:shock::shock:

Last edited on Tue Aug 17th, 2010 12:51 am by Wesley

Posted: Fri Aug 6th, 2010 10:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
A CHANCE TO MAKE YOUR VIEW KNOWN IN EUROPE

The following text has been circulated to RMI members by John Ball, RMI's MOT Chairman.

Dear RMI member,

A one off opportunity to help shape the MOT- use it or lose it!

Online, EU, MOT Review Research - http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/ipm/forms/dispatch?form=roadworthiness

There is likely to be a review of the MOT later this year, which the minister insists is driven by a desire to see if the MOT it is fit for purpose in the 21st century. However, we have found the first real evidence of an EU drive to harmonise MOT frequency. An EU consultation has been put out to provide pan-European research to support any policy changes.

The research is internet based, anonymous, and runs July 30 to Sept 24. It is aimed at all EU citizens and those organisations affected by vehicle testing, including test stations and their staff. I have completed it - it took less than 4 minutes. The link is http://ec.europa.eu/yourvoice/ipm/forms/dispatch?form=roadworthiness

This is a valuable, one off opportunity, for the UK trade to get its voice heard. All members, their staff and relatives who are opposed to potential devastating changes to the MOT and the impact on trade jobs, businesses and of course road safety, need to complete it right now! RMI believes there are 100,000 jobs in the UK in front line testing alone. Therefore we have a great opportunity for the UK trade to make a positive impact – don’t let’s lose it.

Because of the time constraints and holidays please partake NOW to ensure we get the maximum amount of responses.

John Ball

RMI MOT Chairman

Posted: Thu Aug 5th, 2010 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
Getting back to the 4.2.2 issue, we've created this page to gather support for protests.

Register and make a comment as well, if you feel so moved, here:

Posted: Sat Jul 17th, 2010 12:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Spunkymonkey wrote: Wesley wrote:
  ... the removal of brake discs on the previous SN ...

I was puzzled by that, after seeing it in a previous post here, but wouldn't RFR 3.5.1.h ("a brake disc or drum in such a condition that it is seriously weakened or insecure") still cover ones that really are excessively worn?  Of course, that requires a professional judgement  by the tester, without  a manufacturer's figure to back it up, that VOSA may (in fact, probably will???) disagree with in the event of a customer complaint :? 

But I never said I envied you guys your jobs ;)

hi sm,

The "removal of previous rfr`s regarding brake discs, which were Acceptable." If the results of an rbt were outside the requirements then,

I am still puzzled about rfr 3.5.1.h, How can a professional judgement be made on a safety related (brake) component using rfr, 3.5.1.h, which would require the removal of items to professionally measure the components?:?, when a visual inspection is the VOSA requirement?:?

There is a "solution" to this "issue",;) 

Which would be to "advise" a "Service" before the "MOT Inspection":P against VOSA`s "preferred option".:shock:

Where Now??:?....? What do our "EU" Countries Advise??:?:?

wes.

Last edited on Sat Jul 17th, 2010 10:42 pm by Wesley

Current time is 03:57 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Archive > MOT Testing Frequency change - Good or Bad? > MOT Test Frequency Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems