New Topic Printer Friendly
2012 Cat Requirement  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2012 10:09 am

1st Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Yes Rawky, its wrong. Its a generalisation!!

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2012 08:35 am

2nd Post
rawky

Mana: 
I was originally worried by this...

"A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure."

The AA

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

Is this then wrong?

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2012 02:37 pm

3rd Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
Hi Rawky,and welcome

If the vehicle is petrol driven then going by the year stated you will be ok in removing the cat,as although it has a cat fitted,it does not qualify for a cat emissions test to be carried out due to its year of manufacture.

If the vehicle was produced and petrol driven before 1992 the chances are they would not have a converter fitted as there was no legal reqiurement to have what is known as "ADVANCED EMISSION CONTROL EQUIPMENT"(catalytic converters).
There was a transition period between 1992 to 1995 with regards to the above systems and cats where fitted to all petrol driven vehicles.

A tester will know where a cat converter is fitted as original in my opinion anyway through his knowledge and experiance and no we have no database to give us this infomation yet,however we can refer to emission testing flow charts in the inspection manual.

As long as we talking about a standard production  petrol driven car here;then remove the cat and fit a de-cat pipe,however your vehicle will still have to meet limits to a non cat emissions test:)

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2012 02:13 pm

4th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
rawky wrote:
Hi There,

I have a 1991 car

Cheers

'J' plate ? - if so it's a non cat test.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000308.htm

Last edited on Thu Apr 5th, 2012 02:15 pm by Stealth

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2012 01:21 pm

5th Post
rawky

Mana: 
Hi There,

I have a 1991 car with a faulty/blocked catalytic converter. I was planning to replace this with a decat pipe which is commonly available, but with the new 2012 MOT rules I am now in a state of confusion...

It used to be that a CAT wasn't a requirement if the car was first used before August 1992. Is this still the case or not?

How does the MOT tester know whether the car was originally fitted with one or not? Visually or is there a database?

Cheers

Current time is 02:54 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > 2012 Cat Requirement Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems