Suzuki Rear Wheel Bearing  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue May 1st, 2012 07:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
I think.thats a spacer not the spindle. The cause of this is usually down to an over tightened chain.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue May 1st, 2012 12:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
Hi Saffa_stu:)

Well its not the worst i have seen,but from my observations it appears that the spindle seems to have some old damage maybe from a previous bearing failure;on top of that  you can see new damage which obviously is bad.

What the cause was is hard to say,maybe,lack of maintainance ,cheap bearings,overtightened or even constant cleaning with a pressure washer allowing water ingress,who knows?.

Normally when these bearings fail some indication of a defect is apparent and although the mot does not include any dismantling only basic checks i would of thought that if it was that bad at the time of test,the tester would of detected the fault.
So what ever has gone on; has happened after the test and its just ended up one of those unfortunate issues.
:)

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2012 08:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Saffa_Stu

Mana: 
This is what's left of it...

Posted: Thu Apr 26th, 2012 07:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Saffa_Stu

Mana: 
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm not really trying to blame anyone - I was just a bit concerned about it from a safety aspect and that it failed so quickly after having the MOT.

Posted: Wed Apr 25th, 2012 11:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
From memory;there are 3 bearings in the rear wheel which one is the sprocket bearing.
Having experiences with these bearings before it came down to the bearings being over tightened and would trash a bearing in no time.

From an mot point of view it all comes down to the test on the day and any major issues with the bearing would of been picked up then if it was that bad and what has to be remembered here is that wheel bearings are not tested to the point where they are dismantled for a detailed inspection,they receive a basic test and a mot tester can only report from what he finds based on that:)

You would not know if any work or repairs the previous owner had  carried out on the bike before or after the MOT which may of had some bearing on the matter now.

In my opinion  on this occasion you have been unlucky and this has happened,and  in an engineering world things go wrong ;but if it was me i would not be looking at the tester to blame:)not just saying that because i am a tester.but i am also a biker;)

Posted: Wed Apr 25th, 2012 10:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hoge

Mana: 
Possibly, possibly not. Wheel bearings can fail at short notice. If there was no play in the bearing at MOT time the tester would be hard pushed to notice it. Unlike a wheel bearing on a car, when you rotate a rear wheel on a bike you are also turning the chain on the sprocket so any rumble would be difficult to detect.

Posted: Wed Apr 25th, 2012 01:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Saffa_Stu

Mana: 
My wife purchased a Suzuki SV1000 from a private seller three weeks ago, which was MOT passed the day before we picked it up. It has 15000 miles on the clock.

The rear wheel bearing has since failed totally. Our local Suzuki dealer says that it was so badly worn that it has damaged the rim.

Should the MOT tester have picked this up?

Current time is 05:31 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Bike Testing -  Ask bike Testers about bike Testing | MOT Forum > Suzuki Rear Wheel Bearing Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems