Aborted MOT  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2012 05:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
KwikFit

Mana: 
Hi everyone,

Andy from Kwik Fit here. If there's anything about your experience that you'd like to discuss with us, then please feel free to send me an email - [link removed - please use PM]

Kind regards,
Andy

Last edited on Wed May 2nd, 2012 08:52 am by

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Apr 29th, 2012 08:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Tim

Mana: 
Neutrino wrote:

I have had quotes for the work elsewhere, and can get it for under £350. But its not the best time for this kind of work, and in my opinion, after inspecting the belt, tensioners they appear in good order.

Hi :)

Could you explain exactly how you examined your cambelt and tensioner ?

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2012 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Kwik Fit are on the forum. send them a PM and they normally respond positively

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2012 02:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
fedup

Mana: 
The tester should have done his pre checks first and if he'd come to the decision that the engine was not suitable to do the smoke test then it should have been A REFUSAL TO TEST. If you the presenter wanted it in writing then the tester would log it onto the system then opt to ABANDON the test stating the reasons for refusal to test and issue a VT30 with NO FEE CHARGED.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/tgx03000101.htm

All in the link above - print it off go back get your money back.

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2012 01:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Neutrino

Mana: 
Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Took my car (Peugeot 206 1.9D 2001) for its MOT last week. It passed last years fine, is serviced etc, so the general condition is fine. I was expecting it to pass fine, but alas not.

The engine on it runs quite rough, a bit of white smoke when first starting, but clears in seconds, and at low revs it is a bit suttery, but once moving it runs fine. The engine rattles a little and is quite noisy, but this was the same during its last mot.

Anyway, after 5 minutes of being in for its MOT, they come back and say they are aborting it due to the cambelt needing replacing. It is 1 year overdue, but under the reccomended mileage change. They have based this decision soley on the fact of the engine noise and nothing else, and proceed to quote me £550 for the work (kwik fit by the way).

So my questions are:

1) They say as it was aborted and not there fault, even though they had it for 5 minutes, i need to pay to have it re-tested?
2) Can they refuse to test it based on a noisy engine (no signs of wear on the cambelt)
3) seeing as they are charging me full price if i want a new mot, and no refund of this one. Could they have not completed the mot, minus the emissions, so atleast i know if any other work is needed?

I have had quotes for the work elsewhere, and can get it for under £350. But its not the best time for this kind of work, and in my opinion, after inspecting the belt, tensioners they appear in good order.

Thanks for any replies/views on the situation.

P.S i was given no written documentation for this, just told no refund, and no note to say refusal/aborted...

Last edited on Sat Apr 28th, 2012 01:41 pm by Neutrino

Current time is 05:16 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Aborted MOT Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems