Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer
New Topic Printer Friendly
LPG and Cats  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 26th, 2017 05:52 am

1st Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Forgot to add... with a full cat test, having got a direct match (VIN, engine number etc) in the emissions database, the limits may actually be higher than those applied in the BET

Posted: Sat Aug 26th, 2017 05:45 am

2nd Post
Paul S

Mana: 
The BET is a fast track test, if the limits are not achieved you proceed to a full cat test having got a direct match (VIN, engine number etc) in the emissions database.

It isnt that full test is more Strenuous, more to do with giving the motor more time to achieve the limits.

Posted: Sat Aug 26th, 2017 04:19 am

3rd Post
Davidl

Mana: 
Am I right in saying BET is at least as strenuous as the cat test?
But that as an lpg vehicle it will be a non cat test anyway so presence or not of a cat is irrelevant.
Thanks all - just need to see if our local MOT testers interpret the regs the same way.

Posted: Sat Aug 26th, 2017 03:38 am

4th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Pretty much what I said 😎

Posted: Sat Aug 26th, 2017 02:55 am

5th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Basic Emissions Test (BET) Vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1992 – (1 August 1994 for Class 5 vehicles)
and if the motor fails the BET, Can you find an exact match in the in the analyser database or the In-service Emissions book?
Yes, carry out full cat test
No, carry out non cat test :)

Posted: Sat Aug 26th, 2017 02:41 am

6th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Paul S wrote:
Basic Emissions Test (BET) Vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1992 – (1 August 1994 for Class 5 vehicles)

Unless there is a direct match (VIN, engine number etc) in the emissions database. Some later vehicles in that date range did qualify for cat testing. ;)

Posted: Sat Aug 26th, 2017 02:33 am

7th Post
Paul S

Mana: 

Posted: Fri Aug 25th, 2017 04:14 pm

8th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
A 94 reg Rangie will quite possibly be exempt from cat testing anyway. Full cat tests apply to vehicles registered 1st August 1995. Many vehicles registered before that date weren't manufactured to meet the requirements.

Posted: Fri Aug 25th, 2017 03:14 pm

9th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Hi, I stand to be corrected here,
A car having a cat from new (94 range rover lse), being run and presented on lpg not having a cat would not fail the equipment missing from original spec element...
7. Multi fuel vehicles Vehicles which run on more than one fuel(e.g. petrol and LPG) should be tested on the fuel they are running on when presented.
&
On petrol engine vehicles that qualify for a full catalyst emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter.

Therefore the motor being tested is as presented & as such being run on lpg is not required to have a cat.
We don't make the rules just follow them, are the trade happy? Personally don't think so .

Paul

Posted: Wed Aug 23rd, 2017 10:51 am

10th Post
Davidl

Mana: 
Hi, newbie here.
Are the trade happy this is still the case? Its been a few years and things change.

A car having a cat from new (94 range rover lse), being run and presented on lpg and now not having a cat will pass an MOT, and not fail the equipment missing from original spec element.
If so could you point me towards which bit of this
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/611019/mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf

says so.
Much appreciated.
David

Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2012 12:06 am

11th Post
Mac

Mana: 
Many thanks for the replies.

The test station I go to are pretty good and approachable - so hopefully I shouldn't have any problems. So just need to get some decat pipes made.

Posted: Wed Jun 6th, 2012 08:38 am

12th Post
Clifford Pope

Mana: 
NITROS44 wrote:  the readings were well within the limit.:)

Do you mean the non-cat limit it would have been tested against, or do you mean the LPG emissions would have been good enough even to pass the stricter cat limits?

Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2012 01:28 am

13th Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote: Should be no ptob if you get a tester who understands the new regs:D The limits for LPG are less demanding,as long as the engine and its emissions systems are decent their should be no problem.

My personal experiance on testing a Vauxhall Zafria,on 2 occasions without a cat did pass and the readings were well within the limit.:)

Posted: Fri Jun 1st, 2012 07:03 pm

14th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Should be no ptob if you get a tester who understands the new regs:D

Posted: Fri Jun 1st, 2012 09:14 am

15th Post
Favell
Trade Member

Mana: 
I agree with Kev,the requirement is to check for the presence of cat only on cars that require a full 'cat' emissions test.

Fav

Posted: Fri Jun 1st, 2012 07:44 am

16th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
it does not need cats fitted if presented on LPG .
cats are only needed if the vehicle would need a cat test & as you say that LPG vehicles are tested as non cat then the cat is not needed .

Posted: Thu May 31st, 2012 11:46 pm

17th Post
Mac

Mana: 
Hi,

I would be grateful for your opinions on the removal of the CATs on my 2000 Range Rover 4.6.

I have read a couple of posts on here, and elsewhere, but there appeares to be some differing opinions.

I always present the car running on LPG for emmisions and it always gets tested as a non-cat vehicle. Does this mean it would pass the new MOT if the CATs were removed (one of them is rattling really badly.

I seem to be reading three lines of thought

1. if it qualifies for a non cat test then the presence of cats should not be checked.

2. As there were CATS when new, they have to have them irrespective of type of emmissions test so would fail under the new MOT.

3. Not having CATS would fail as exhaust has parts missing or system is incomplete.

My personal, non-expert reading is that 1. is the correct interpretation.

Has anyone actually tested a LPG car without cats - what was the result?

Thanks in advance.

I do understand that it would fall foul of construction and use regs

Current time is 07:40 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > LPG and Cats Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems