board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, martins, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
hibrid emissions  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 10:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Weetabix

Mana: 
message deleted.

posted in error.

Last edited on Mon Sep 24th, 2007 10:18 pm by

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 10:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Daz

Mana: 
Taxi's around my area are not required to take an emissions test..

Posted: Sun Jul 1st, 2007 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
chumpy

Mana: 
bigzeph, i do have a procedure to follow and its in the publics intrest and the drivers intrest that i do follow procedure would you want me to pass every taxi that failed its emision? he has every right of appeal but you name a local authority that would  allow  a n enviromentally unfriendly car to work 24 hours a day 7 days aweek? i take it your not a parent nor is 911mot who live for today s**t to kids or grandkids that come tommorow. like i said in a previous post the decision would go above me im only doing my job and if im wrong then my decision would be overturned and i would have to accept that, but i would sleep at night knowing i made the right decision to make the driver fix his car, 911mot im not stopping him making a living his car is!  

Posted: Sat Jun 30th, 2007 05:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
911mot

Mana: 
Bigzeph wrote: chumpy wrote: i would have had to fail it mate as a taxi but obviously as a normal car mot i would have to pass it. he would then if he thought i was wrong appeal to the licensing authority who would either back me up or overturn my decision, but with the enviroment issues im sure they would support my decision. i think then his next step would be his local m.p or possibly the courts but i would definatly stand by my guns and not allow the vehicle to be licensed as a taxi the problem would then not be mine but people above me councillors etc.

So you would prevent a taxi owner from working? Whilst he appeals against your decision.You have no approved procedure to follow when testing a hybrid.  It sounds to me as if you are a makeing up your own rules as you go along!!

Appeal to who? The taxi test is not regulated by VOSA. I asked my local VE on his last visit and he reluctantly admitted that I could pretty much test it how I see fit.

And who gives a stuff about the enviroment anyway? It's all a ruse to squeeze more taxes out of us. 

I'd let the poor taxi driver earn some money or he'll be in prison for not paying his council tax. 

Last edited on Sat Jun 30th, 2007 06:08 pm by 911mot

Posted: Sat Jun 30th, 2007 07:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Bigzeph
Banned

Mana: 
chumpy wrote: i would have had to fail it mate as a taxi but obviously as a normal car mot i would have to pass it. he would then if he thought i was wrong appeal to the licensing authority who would either back me up or overturn my decision, but with the enviroment issues im sure they would support my decision. i think then his next step would be his local m.p or possibly the courts but i would definatly stand by my guns and not allow the vehicle to be licensed as a taxi the problem would then not be mine but people above me councillors etc.

So you would prevent a taxi owner from working? Whilst he appeals against your decision.You have no approved procedure to follow when testing a hybrid.  It sounds to me as if you are a makeing up your own rules as you go along!!

Last edited on Sat Jun 30th, 2007 09:16 am by martins

Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2007 10:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
chumpy

Mana: 
i would have had to fail it mate as a taxi but obviously as a normal car mot i would have to pass it. he would then if he thought i was wrong appeal to the licensing authority who would either back me up or overturn my decision, but with the enviroment issues im sure they would support my decision. i think then his next step would be his local m.p or possibly the courts but i would definatly stand by my guns and not allow the vehicle to be licensed as a taxi the problem would then not be mine but people above me councillors etc.

Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2007 12:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Weetabix

Mana: 
chumpy wrote: weetabix why not? in this day and age everything is all about the enviroment and been eco friendly and with it been a taxi i see no reason not to test the emissions when i could do so, it would have been very unlikley to fail as technology is so advanced on these things but how you going to know these vehicles are running clean if you dont check them? either way mottyk asked if anyone had tested one and i have and told him how i did it i thought i was giving good advise but when you on your mighty high horse come on with that kind of comment then clearly i was wasting my time on here.

Sorry to have come across as offensive - I didn't mean to!

All I meant was that as hybrid vehicles are exempt from emissions testing, then there is no need to spend the time doing it during the MOT test.

What would you have done if it had 'failed' the emissions test ?

Posted: Thu Jun 28th, 2007 08:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
chumpy

Mana: 
weetabix why not? in this day and age everything is all about the enviroment and been eco friendly and with it been a taxi i see no reason not to test the emissions when i could do so, it would have been very unlikley to fail as technology is so advanced on these things but how you going to know these vehicles are running clean if you dont check them? either way mottyk asked if anyone had tested one and i have and told him how i did it i thought i was giving good advise but when you on your mighty high horse come on with that kind of comment then clearly i was wasting my time on here.

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2007 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Weetabix

Mana: 
chumpy wrote: just done a toyota hybrid prius although not 3 years old it was a taxi and this is how i did it,

press the park button on the left hand side so it is in park if its in neutral it wont rev, carry on as though its a petrol on your gas analyser but bypass the rpm section so to carry out a rev counter check, have a friend slightly rev the engine before you put probe in exhaust this starts the engine running and allows the analyser to realise then you have entered probe when instructed to do so, this then allowed me to carry on, rev the engine more and guesstimate 2500 rpm this should now allow you to get an emission result on the fast idle test when it comes down to the idle test your friend will still have to slightly rev the engine or it will go to electric mode but ultimately i have a test result from it and it easily fell within the specified limits

p.s my analysers a bosh

Why test the emissions it when it is exempt ??

Posted: Wed Jun 27th, 2007 09:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
chumpy

Mana: 
just done a toyota hybrid prius although not 3 years old it was a taxi and this is how i did it,

press the park button on the left hand side so it is in park if its in neutral it wont rev, carry on as though its a petrol on your gas analyser but bypass the rpm section so to carry out a rev counter check, have a friend slightly rev the engine before you put probe in exhaust this starts the engine running and allows the analyser to realise then you have entered probe when instructed to do so, this then allowed me to carry on, rev the engine more and guesstimate 2500 rpm this should now allow you to get an emission result on the fast idle test when it comes down to the idle test your friend will still have to slightly rev the engine or it will go to electric mode but ultimately i have a test result from it and it easily fell within the specified limits

p.s my analysers a bosh

Posted: Fri Jun 22nd, 2007 11:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Weetabix

Mana: 
SN's can be found at:

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/publications/specialnotices/specialnotices.htm

Handy hint:
I find it easier to download them from there & print out on my laser printer at home - rather than print out at VTS device on the Dot Matrix!

A useful search method:
Go to the above link, press Ctrl-F (in windows internet explorer). In the search box, type the word you are looking for, eg 'Hybrid', and it will show you the SN with the word 'Hybrid' in the headings...

Posted: Fri Jun 22nd, 2007 11:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
mottyk

Mana: 
One last point on this issue, done the car today passed without the emissions test.

But thank to weetabix finding the s/n relating to hybrid test, which was distributed in 2002, why is there no referance to these vehicles in the 2005 post puterisation manuals & guides, vts device s/n's only go back to 2005

still had no reply from vova yet to my original enquiry !

Posted: Wed Jun 20th, 2007 08:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
mottyk

Mana: 
Thanks weetabix,

thats just what the doctor ordered, I had some memory of reading an sn about hybrids I never went back that far sign of old age! !  loosing track of time

Thanks again 

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 11:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
OK. does it have to be regd as a hybrid?

My Lpg jeep wasnt regd as dual fuel and It was tested on LPG

ie. if i build a hybrid can I test it as such or do we use VSI?

Kev

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Weetabix

Mana: 

Being a hybrid it is exempt from emissions test in accordance with S/N 2/2002.

(Matters of Testing, issue 15 April 2002)

SN 2/2002:

Item 6 Electric/Combustion Engine (Hybrid) Vehicles

Hybrid vehicles that can run on electric power in addition to petrol/diesel are exempt from the emissions test.

Care should be taken with such vehicles as:

* there may be high voltage present at any one of several points around the vehicle

* the engine may start without warning if the battery voltage drops

* high voltage may be present in storage capacitors as well as batteries

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
avocco

Mana: 
But it has a petrol engine. so it needs an emissions test doesnt it?
Not Necessarily, If you consider that test is only based on the fuel type that the vehicle is using at that moment, for example if your testing a car that is running on both LPG and petrol but at the time of the test the vehicle is using LPG, you would select LPG. I believe this would be the case for hybrid cars as well, If the car your testing is currently running on electric mode there is no way to get it to switch to petrol unless you drain the battery past the half way mark or put some heavy strain on it. Our boss was able to do it because the car battery was nearly dead, vehicle was parked up for quite a while. As soon as the vehicle was started it went straight into petrol mode instead of electric, giving him plenty of time to do the test.

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 09:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Avocco.

But it has a petrol engine. so it needs an emissions test doesnt it?

My cars hybrid if i drive it on the starter motor!

Sounds like your boss did the right thing to me.

Kev

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 08:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
avocco

Mana: 
Just called up my boss who recently bought a Toyota Prius Hybrid 2000 Model. I just asked him how he did the emissions test, said he selected petrol as the testing fuel and was able to do the rest from there.

You can also select eletric from the fuel type test list, and considering you dont have any emissions from an electric test, dont see why you would need to do an emissions test on it.

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Didnt know that it wouldnt go until 30 mph

Just a thought have you tried your local toyota dealer?

They must have done some already.

Kev

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
mottyk

Mana: 
Hi Kev,

cant do that engine wont start till 30mph is exceeded.

tried turning on all the electrics,  the engine will start, when its good & ready but stops again after about 2mins, and it wont rev.

hybrids have been failing emissions tests in Georgia USA, because of the same reason, reading a few site the effluent has hit the air conditioning over there.

they may be exempt vsi says hybrid-electric clean !

I could bung the ega in the boot & go crusin' I spose ! !

Iv'e emailed vosa - no reply. Ive had to put the gent off till Friday hope to get an answer by then 

Last edited on Tue Jun 19th, 2007 08:43 pm by mottyk

Current time is 04:43 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > hibrid emissions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems