board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Website

Autotech Training Services

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, martins, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
decelerometer not workig  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 23rd, 2014 02:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
RFR wrote:
Hi Stealth, are you portraying we must have, and can use a wire brush??

rfr

It's no longer in the list of small tools required according to the MOT Guide RFR, but for whatever reason the folk making MOT shadow boards are still putting in a space for a wire brush.

Maybe some of the sites I visit could put the brush to good use by cleaning up those old tin turning plates which are more often than not rusted up !

;)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Jun 22nd, 2014 11:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
RFR

Mana: 
Hi Stealth, are you portraying we must have, and can use a wire brush??

rfr

Posted: Thu Jan 30th, 2014 06:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
afiafi1

Mana: 
Shouldn't the calibration certificate be in the VTS's name?

i emailed vosa and they have saied to me that it doesn't matter if it has the vts name on the certificate it could have previous vts name on certificate as long as it has a valid calibration

Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2014 08:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
4x4cos
Trade Member

Mana: 
I only been testing a while but if you can test using a decelerometer on the unsure vehicles its just a safe bet and driving the car can also give a good idea of feel for brakes. just a safe bet with new cars electronic stabilty LSD and the increasing 4x4 even on a lot of audi quattro. My idea of testing is do it right equipment 100% working and the best test you can. After all ts reasonable money in a bizy station you can pull nearly 1.5 tests a hour with a good assistant or ATL and good cars not sheds which is what i mainly test so they have no excuse but to do it right.

Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2014 06:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
baz657

Mana: 
oldchap wrote: A couple of years ago I bought a second "Tapley" meter as we do do a large number of 4x4 and didnt want to be without a functioning meter while ours was away for calibration.

It cost me £50.00 plus the cost of a new calibration certificate. It came via a well known internet auction site.

Sometimes they can be found for sale with a certificate still valid.

But if there is a problem such as you describe over equipment i suspect any cost at all will be rejected.

Shouldn't the calibration certificate be in the VTS's name? I've just checked mine and it has the VTS name printed on it - perhaps Stealth could clarify?

Admittedly you shouldn't be testing it without a working accelerometer in the first place but with the new RBT testing method (running both wheels together) is it such a problem testing 2WD vehicles with a LSD fitted if you can get good enough readings without one or the other locking up?

Last edited on Fri Jan 24th, 2014 06:26 pm by baz657

Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2014 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
oldchap

Mana: 
A couple of years ago I bought a second "Tapley" meter as we do do a large number of 4x4 and didnt want to be without a functioning meter while ours was away for calibration.

It cost me £50.00 plus the cost of a new calibration certificate. It came via a well known internet auction site.

Sometimes they can be found for sale with a certificate still valid.

But if there is a problem such as you describe over equipment i suspect any cost at all will be rejected.

Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2014 11:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
4x4cos
Trade Member

Mana: 
So two different size lever bars are a requirement ?

Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2014 10:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
:)

Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2014 09:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
bimmer wrote: Here is a typical mot tool board layout. You can also use an inspection mirror.
That will be top score for garage hand tools on your site assesment bimmer ! ;)

Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2014 09:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
4x4cos
Trade Member

Mana: 
The smoke meter is now playing up and the AE reply I cant spend any more money at the moment im speachless

Posted: Fri Jan 24th, 2014 04:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
Here is a typical mot tool board layout. You can also use an inspection mirror.

Attachment: ScreenHunter_82 Jan. 24 04.14.jpg (Downloaded 85 times)

Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 09:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
MOT tools...

Corrosion Assessment Tool.

Small pinch bar.

Tread depth guage.

Tape measure.

Wire brush.

13 Pin socket tester.

Gas leak detection spray.

Low voltage hand lamp.

Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 07:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
getech.org.uk

Mana: 
It's none of my business really, but ultimately but YOU have identified the issues at hand and so therefore your professional integrity should make you call VOSA.

I know that's easy for me to say, my job is not potentially on the line, but it sounds like someone is going to be hurt at some point based on the AE's attitude! I wouldn't want that on my conscience should it occur...

Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
4x4cos
Trade Member

Mana: 
Thanks to your reply's guys. As i cant get in trouble i will keep quiet and when a 4x4 or lsd car comes in refuse to test and hopefully drop the A.E in it we are talking a big huge money company here and as stated £350 smackers is not expensive to do it right.
Its worrying and frustrating working there one tube of exhaust paste between 6 technicians and replaced when it runs out which is of course when you need it.

The other mot tools are corrosion asses steel ruler about 1 meter long a small pry bar Tyre gauge 13 pin socket tester and gas leak and that's it .
I am used to the heel bar for checking top mounts suspension etc and its handy to have the windscreen measuring tool i am gonna try and search for compulsory tools that have to be there.
There smoke meter reads 6.35 without even revving on first test it really is a shambles. Be nice if you could anonymously tip of the inspectorate but no disrespect to them you don't really want them coming down.

Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 04:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
getech.org.uk

Mana: 
Yes you're right. It states broken... but you anticipated my point correctly :)

Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 04:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
getech.org.uk wrote:
A quick question also to Stealth - Shouldn't the VTS device have locked this station out in this situation if correct procedure had been followed for calibration date & certificate number entry?? :?

Hi getech

As long as the calibration dates are current on the VTS device then the system won't lock out.

I presume from 4x4's post that the calibrations are current, it's just that the decelerometer is broken.

If the AE/Site Manager has entered fictitious calibration dates then that's another matter entirely !

;)

I'll wait for RFR to tick me off for 'presuming'     :P

Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 01:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
getech.org.uk

Mana: 
Hello 4x4cos,

The cost of a decelerometer is just £345+VAT - calibrated for 2 years. a) Its just not an expensive purchase b) the rules require you to have one as Stealth says..

Unfortunately I can't tell you where to buy one on this forum as advertising is not allowed... but a google search will tell you fairly quickly...

A quick question also to Stealth - Shouldn't the VTS device have locked this station out in this situation if correct procedure had been followed for calibration date & certificate number entry?? :?

Posted: Thu Jan 23rd, 2014 12:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
You as a tester will not carry any personal responsibility, it's down to the station/AE,

But how can you be confident you will not be doing any tests on 4x4 or LSD vehicles.

There may be situations where use of the decelerometer may only become apparent during the test ?

Posted: Wed Jan 22nd, 2014 09:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
4x4cos
Trade Member

Mana: 
Guessed it was trouble for the station/A.E what about me as a tester testing knowing the equipment is failed obviously i wont be doing any 4x4 or LSD cars does this problem fall back on the A.E or me as well being registered there. Trouble i have i just started there and am under probation however i dont want to affect my prospects of the idea of owning my own station or working else where through a garage owners incompetence to follow VOSA requirements

Posted: Wed Jan 22nd, 2014 06:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi 4x4

The short answer is yes, it is compulsory for your decelerometer to be in working order. It will be needed for 4x4 vehicles and vehicles with limited slip diffs etc as you mentioned, and as a back up should your RBT equipment break down.

The decelerometer is considered to be a major piecce of equipment.

The penalties are laid down in the MOT Testing Guide. Your AE will be liable for 50 points and a Formal Warning if VOSA pay a visit.

Here is the relevant page from the guide.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/tgx08000402.htm

Your AE needs to put his hand in his wallet.

Current time is 12:32 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > decelerometer not workig Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems