Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Website

Autotech Training Services

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer  
AuthorPost
Hardcore

Mana: 
It's not due it's MOT for another 5 months or so but "sorting properly" isn't an option unfortunately.

Sorting properly means buying another oversized downpipe with a cat which comes to £380 before fitting and my existing exhaust would need modified to accept it.

I've been quoted £25 to supply and weld cat heatshields onto the existing downpipe and intend to test this method first but wondered what problems i may encounter doing this.

afiafi1

Mana: 
afiafi1 wrote:
for me its going to be a cheap tablet, just to see how many times it gets dropped, and if it is feasible for the job intended, second option use the computer which has autodata on it

posted on wrong post

afiafi1

Mana: 
for me its going to be a cheap tablet, just to see how many times it gets dropped, and if it is feasible for the job intended, second option use the computer which has autodata on it

kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
it is said to be a visual check .
the changes come into force on 16th of this month so you could maybe get it tested before that date & give yourself a year to have the job sorted out properly .

Hardcore

Mana: 
A while back i heard rumours surrounding it will be an MOT fail to remove a DPF on a diesel car if one was fitted as standard.

Fair enough i thought. There are reasonable and rational reasons for this.

I wasn't aware until recently the same ammendment to the test will mean a cat being removed on a diesel will also be a fail.

Is this right?

I ask because i previously learned that if a petrol car has a gas conversion on it, it no longer goes through the cat emissions test and a removed cat is not a fail.

Likewise with the old petrol engines that never used a lambda sensor on the cat.

Diesels also don't have a lambda sensor on the cat, or a cat emissions test so it doesn't seem consistent to fail them for this.

I've recently had a turbo back performance exhaust system fitted to my Ibiza 1.9TDi and the large bore downpipe doesn't have a cat anymore.

Someone suggested to satisfy the MOT inspector i may get away with welding cat heatshields onto the downpipe to give the appearance that the cat is still present. Obviously i wouldn't expect anyone here to endorse or encourage this but realistically what problems could i encounter at the MOT if i was to do this?

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems