New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
aproved garages  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 11th, 2014 05:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mottester

Mana: 
We are with motor codes and have had a few jobs from there site and some great customer feed back.
Customers recognise it more because it is trading standards, which every one knows where as IMI, ATA, RMI etc are not really recognised by the general public.
The inspections are now, I think, done by the AA instead of the RAC as they used to be.

Bob

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Jul 9th, 2014 05:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DB9

Mana: 
afiafi1 wrote:
spoke to imi today, i wont need to sit ata test because i allready have nvq/imi level 3 with them. so im halfway there.

I'd probably double check that?

When I went on the aTa competence courses the first thing the assessors did was sit me down and fill in the applications, and they advised that a minimum level III qualification was required to do the aTa assessments, then at the end of the competence based assessments I sat two one hour long computer examinations, both of which I had to pass to complete the course, which had a pass grade of 60%, and if the candidate did not achieve this minimum criteria, the candidate failed. The assessors always pointed out to me that the fail rate was high, and the candidate would not be allowed to complete the course unless they had a level III qualification at the outset to attend.

Posted: Wed Jul 9th, 2014 05:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
afiafi1

Mana: 
spoke to imi today, i wont need to sit ata test because i allready have nvq/imi level 3 with them. so im halfway there.

the only thing that's pushing me towards motor codes is that you can display signs saying motor codes approved , aa approved (aa come and do a site visit every two years) tsi approved (trading standards institute) and be on the approved garages registar.

Posted: Wed Jul 9th, 2014 09:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
DB9

Mana: 
Having surface read the TSI codes of practice (Motor Codes) and having been a member of the IMI for the last 20 years, and a registered aTa accredited technician I can advise that it is much more time consuming and difficult to become a member of the IMI, including the aTa, however the training is from what I can see much more involved to join the IMI and the aTa, but I do believe that you would be better off in the long term to join a proper trade institute rather than a government organisation that is promoting a brand name with a bit of legal training to achieve an income from the public/trade.

The IMI do very thorough training in legal aspects of the motor trade and depending upon your age and experience this will decide after training what level of membership they will offer you. From there you can continue with further courses and after gaining more experience you can progress further in membership. Don't forget there is a vast number of members who have been trained in all aspects of the trade in their own chosen areas of expertise and they can and do offer help also.

The IMI also have a CPD course guide which covers a vast range of training courses dedicated to the motor trade, so just about everything you work on each day they cover with CPD, in fact they have so much information available that your career in the motor trade is not long enough to fully complete all the CPD training they offer, like I said its vast.

Then when you are ready you can then fill out the applications to become an aTa accredited technician, this is not training, it is a competence based assessment program that you go to a dedicated equipped motor trade college with all facilities available to strip and rebuild vehicles, and fully investigate, diagnose and repair all types of vehicles and their faults.

If you are successful and achieve the standards on time, this is the hard part, "on time", you gain membership of the aTa and are provided with a photocard voluntary license and a certificate of achievement. You then have to keep up to date with changes in technology and further achieve assessment outcome modules every three years to keep up to date with current standards.

I think it is much better than Motor Codes, but you ultimately must decide what is right for you.

DB9 :)

Posted: Tue Jul 8th, 2014 11:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
afiafi1

Mana: 
thinking of registering with motor codes or the imi register.
any one a member of any of the above.
have you noticed any new customers due to registering

Current time is 12:07 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > General Off-Topic 'Discussions' - when it gets down to the fine detail | MOT Forum > aproved garages Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems