MOT fail on rear discs  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2015 07:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
DB9

Mana: 
DB9 I I magine that would be the case.
You must have had a brake pipe burst on the RBT?

"We've probably just saved your life, your brake pipe has just burst, good job you weren't doing an emergency stop when it went!"
Or something like that.
They usually understand whats happened, its repaired, and everyones happy.

----------------------------------------------------------

DB9 replied;

I have you are right, brake pipes can and do leak without warning. Suppose you actually experience a pipe leak while checking the servo operation, or even brake pedal creep before starting the engine, you have not completed any underside checks at the moment, then you feel the pedal go to the floor?

You look underneath and see the pipe leaking, lets say the Mondeo adjacent the fuel tank, common that area, has the corrosion weakened the pipe to allow it to leak, or is it the NT's fault because the brake was depressed?

There is a fine line here between the NT/AE being at fault and the owner of the vehicle not having the vehicle maintained to the manufacturer recommendations, DVSA in my opinion are telling us what the method of inspection is, what we have to do, and how to do it, then if problems occur, they wash their hands of it by saying it is the AE's responsibility?

My bike can have an all up weight of half a tonne, quite legally, and the discs on that are about 4mm thick when new. When it stops raining I might be able to actually ride it!

Good luck with the British weather :D:D:D

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2015 06:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
DB9   I I magine that would be the case.
You must have had a brake pipe burst on the RBT?

I always say to the presenter when i inform them whats happened,
"We've probably just saved your life, your brake pipe has just burst, good job you weren't doing an emergency stop when it went!"
Or something like that.
They usually understand whats happened, its repaired, and everyones happy.

We had a MINI in to the workshop a few months ago (Not for MOT) and the rotor on the rear disc had come off the "Top Hat" part of the disc very neatly all the way around. the brakes still worked on the other three wheels, the only givaway was a slight noise. The disc was about 0.75 mm thick when it failed.

Noddy - Hol  and  Kit, You are both right of course, Service standard is WAY over MOT standard, however,as you pointed out, we must wear our MOT testers hat when conducting a test.
I can't see how the disc thickness would affect the performance of the ABS system Noddy - hol, there was no judder or grabbing.

You may be suprised how thin brake discs can be and still operate.
My bike can have an all up weight of half a tonne, quite legally, and the discs on that are about 4mm thick when new. When it stops raining I might be able to actually ride it!

Kev.

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2015 12:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
DB9

Mana: 
I wonder who would provide such information?

Suppose, just suppose that the brake disc at the hub area did actually crack and break under load while roller brake testing?

Does that become the situation whereby DVSA say you must not cause any unnecessary damage to a presenters vehicle otherwise the AE is responsible?

Posted: Sat Mar 28th, 2015 12:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
afiafi1

Mana: 
I was told if I do a brake test and disc don't brake then they can't be weakened

Posted: Fri Mar 27th, 2015 08:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Noddy-hol

Mana: 
I hope that member changes them but, hey ho ,its passed the test ....they must be ok.I wonder if the abs will work as it should ?

Posted: Fri Mar 27th, 2015 07:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
The brake disc's in the picture are now well past there best, below service spec but above the very low mot standard so are you going to have them replaced or wait until they fall apart?

Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2015 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
src

Mana: 
One of my previous guys used to work for a similar chain outfit and they were paid a bonus on the number of discs, shocks etc that they sold to customers . This was a few years back but i dare bet nothings changed.

Posted: Thu Mar 26th, 2015 08:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
macphee70

Mana: 
Took them to a different garage and the car passed with 3 advisory issues, rear pads, rear brakes and rear number plate.

Last time I ever go to the ******** Autocentre in Stirling, they were just out to rip me off. I wonder how many other people they have pulled a fly one on?

Last edited on Fri Mar 27th, 2015 10:01 am by Stealth

Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2015 06:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
macphee70

Mana: 
Thank you both , that's good to know I also took it to another independant garage and they agree with you both.

Its going for another MOT somewhere else tomorrow and I suspect that will pass the brake disc.

The garage that also reported this as a fail split the drivers wiper blade 6 inches in either side while doing the test and failed the passengers wiper blade which is still ok.

Out to make a few quid from the repair work I guess

Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2015 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hello Macphee,

I agree with DB9

Ive been told be our DVSA man that if thetre good enough to run on the rollers, and the car made it to the test centre, then the discs cannot be failed for being weakened.

Kev

Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2015 05:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
DB9

Mana: 
Hi,

A seriously weakened brake disc to me would suggest that the brake test should not be completed. They look to me from what I can see to be a pass and advise.

Posted: Wed Mar 25th, 2015 01:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
macphee70

Mana: 
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice her and sorry im new but i thought this was somewhere good to turn to.

My S40 has just failed an MOT on the grounds that both of the rear discs are in a conditions that is seriously weakened [ 3.5.1i] I've looked at them and I don't believe that this is the case.  I do admit that they are not in a good condition but do they really warrant a fail based on the guidlines set by VOSA.

So I've taken some photos as best I can and I'm taking the car to a different garage to be assessed but I just wanted other people opinion on them first.

I've put them on a google drive and apologies for the poor photos
Volvo S40 Rear brake discs

The test results were 159Kgf and 205kgf, imb 13% for the test and they passed the Bind, Judder and Grab, the overall test for both front and back was a pass with an overall efficiency of 69%. Last year the results were 180kgf and 223kgf Imb 17% with an overall efficiency of 68%.

Thank you for your views

Current time is 12:31 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > MOT fail on rear discs Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems