Snapped suspension spring 5 days after MOT  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Mar 31st, 2017 01:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
if you read between the lines on said statement it boils down to"weve laid off so many ves/civil servants that we can no longer test hgvs or enforce the scheme properly so we are gonna let em all do their own tests then give it 5 years or so for the dust to settle and cross our fingers that it dont all end in tears and no one gets badly hurt"i share you concerns but i have to live with it for another decade or so.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Mar 31st, 2017 01:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
triangles

Mana: 
Thinking about this thread and obviously the OP's (and general public's)perception of the MOT test system, would anyone realistically have taken any notice if the tester had advised something like 'offside rear coil spring weak/about to break' etc?
I think not.
Like most testers here, I see this in a daily basis. You advise things like tyres, dust covers, brake pads etc that are deteriorated/near the limit and so on but most customers just address the fails and call it good.
I'm just glad I won't be in it much longer, yesterday we got an email from DVSA laying out their future strategy and business plan but knowing the dangerous cr@p we have to pass I have little faith now.
Triangles

Posted: Thu Mar 30th, 2017 07:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
got lucky,mate whos a local mech had fetched it in and id failed the other side,his response was don't worry,i would be changing both anyway.

Posted: Mon Mar 27th, 2017 02:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
wag

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote: if you look at the snapped section there will generally be a really small semicircular section with rust on it about the size of your little fingernail.this is the initial crack,generally on a corroded surface that isn't generally visible on a test,the rest of the snapped section will be a clean break with no rust on it,this is where the spring parted company completely due to the previously induced weak spot.most common on vehicles that have been stood or not had much use for a while but can happen pretty much anytime on anything.one of the banes of our lives,i had one snap on a motor as I drove it off the ramp after test!

Did it fail then?

I agree, with everyone, these can snap anytime. (correct me if I'm wrong) The MOT tester is primarily looking to see if it has already snapped at time of test.  Pretty impossible I would say to spot one that is "about to fail".

Agree also that when you get it off the car the rusted part of the cross-section will be very small, but leading to a corrosion fatigue failure. 

Posted: Thu Feb 23rd, 2017 01:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi Katherine

If it's any consolation I used to work in the HGV industry.

One more than one occasion I've literally heard the crack as a spring broke on a motor that was just parked doing nothing.

Over a period of time a spring can get metal fatigue after doing its job, being pushed up & down as the car travels.

It's something that cannot be forseen or predicted unfortunately.

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 08:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
if you look at the snapped section there will generally be a really small semicircular section with rust on it about the size of your little fingernail.this is the initial crack,generally on a corroded surface that isn't generally visible on a test,the rest of the snapped section will be a clean break with no rust on it,this is where the spring parted company completely due to the previously induced weak spot.most common on vehicles that have been stood or not had much use for a while but can happen pretty much anytime on anything.one of the banes of our lives,i had one snap on a motor as I drove it off the ramp after test!

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 06:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
katherine6476

Mana: 
Thanks for the replies 👍🏻

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 05:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
As said before a suspension component can break without warning, most likely due to metal fatigue, whilst during the MOT it would look in good order. Nobody is to blame. Hope this helps.

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 04:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
Some councils are, apparently, saving money by not repairing roads - are there a lot of pot-holes in your area?

It may be something you can raise with your local council.

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 04:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
markt

Mana: 
im afraid so katherine,no foresight as to when a spring ,or any component for that matter,will fail.

Posted: Wed Feb 22nd, 2017 02:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
katherine6476

Mana: 
As the title says, my husband's car passed its MOT on Friday. This morning, as he's backing off the drive, the rear suspension spring has snapped in half. Should this have been picked up at its MOT? Surely they don't just snap?

Current time is 11:53 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Snapped suspension spring 5 days after MOT Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems