Historic Plate Failure  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Apr 30th, 2017 06:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Got to agree with you rob, there has been zero information regards the change of dates, just a sneaky update to the manual

:cool:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Apr 30th, 2017 06:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
be fair old chap,they changed the law on historic plates when they started extending the tax exempt bit a few years back,had been going on for a couple of years before they finally got round to changing our test regs to match.yup if in doubt we consult the manual but as you know they aint right good at flagging up changes to it to the guys using it,while me and you are aware of the changes in my case at least that was down to my own efforts and research rather than being notified by the ministry,indeed I had to pass a few before they ever informed us we had to.when a regulation has been in as long as that one was most folks don't expect it to have changed anymore than they would expect-lets say-rear belt first use dates to have changed.right or wrong its human nature unfortunately

Posted: Sun Apr 30th, 2017 04:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote:
some of the confusion will be that up to a relatively short while back he would have been right,they only updated the regs we use fairly recently and if you don't see many you wouldn't know

All the more reason for checking the Manual :cool:

Posted: Sat Apr 29th, 2017 07:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
some of the confusion will be that up to a relatively short while back he would have been right,they only updated the regs we use fairly recently and if you don't see many you wouldn't know

Posted: Fri Apr 28th, 2017 11:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
70sThrowback wrote:
thanks so much for this. Appreciated.

For £20 I wasn't going to argue much further as he basically said its a fail I don't care what the DVLA said.I will pass this on

Thanks again

Take the car back with a printed copy of the relevant page of the Manual and politely ask for a free retest or an appeal form.

Posted: Fri Apr 28th, 2017 11:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
70sThrowback

Mana: 
thanks so much for this. Appreciated.

For £20 I wasn't going to argue much further as he basically said its a fail I don't care what the DVLA said.I will pass this on

Thanks again

Posted: Fri Apr 28th, 2017 10:25 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
gfautos

Mana: 
He is wrong to fail, taken from 6.3 Registration Plates Vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1976 may have registration plates displaying white, grey or silver characters on a black background.
This is taken straight out of the manual https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4i00000001.htm section 6.3

Posted: Fri Apr 28th, 2017 07:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
70sThrowback

Mana: 
Hi I am trying to look online and cannot find the answer, so hoping someone can help.

My car has failed its MOT due to having black/silver plates and not being a pre January 1973 car.

I don't understand this as the DVLA rules state that any vehicle classed as an historic vehicle can have black / silver plates which my car is.

see link to DVLA - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/533255/inf104-vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

My tester said DVLA is not VOSA and therefore his rules are that its a fail. Can anyone confirm what's going on here and why the DVLA and DVSA would have different rules?

Thanks in advance

Current time is 08:02 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Historic Plate Failure Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems