Corsa C 2004 rear axle  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 7th, 2017 02:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
good to know its finally been resolved,keep in mind that they didn't cause the corrosion however,they only missed it.next time you buy a motor take someone along who knows what they are doing to look at it,could save a lotta hassle.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Aug 6th, 2017 11:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
jda8aj

Mana: 
Good news.

The area manager arranged to pick up the car a few weeks ago to inspect it, they agreed that the car should have failed and held their hands up.

They have replaced the back axle along with other components (brake pipes etc.) that that wouldn't come off easy. If I remember correctly, they said the final bill came to around 700 pounds - I didn't pay a penny.

A happy ending although it took well over a month to get closure. Thanks very much for all the good advice and support.

Posted: Mon Jun 26th, 2017 04:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
I agree rob. The one I saw must've been overloaded a lot. Or collision damage or both!

Posted: Mon Jun 26th, 2017 02:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
ive seen corsa b/c bout a dozen times with corrosion identical to that photo,sometimes the wheel is in the way and you cant see it,fair enough.have seen bent corsa axles due to impact damage with the camber you describe but that's cos they bent not rotted thru as per photo.

Posted: Sun Jun 25th, 2017 01:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
I've seen Corsa C rear axles fail a few times.
Symptoms are massive camber!
They fail on the weld that holds the hub
to the suspension arm. The ones I've seen were only slightly corroded.
Maybe it's caused by overloading? Your MOT tester should have spotted that corrosion.

Kev

Posted: Sun Jun 25th, 2017 06:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
its an axle,they design them to accept being driven over potholes,even if that was the case it would have to be badly corroded prior to fail so spectacularly,weakened by corrosion is a fail or advise depending.you would also have hit a pothole so hard that the chances are your wheel and tyre and/or hub/bearing carrier would also have gone pete tong.if it wasn't readily visible is one thing,that at least would be a half valid defence but telling you that you caused it is comical.i await their reply with interest.

Posted: Sat Jun 24th, 2017 11:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jda8aj

Mana: 
thanks for the reply

It's visible through the wheel. What makes it worse on Kwik Fit's part is two different garages have missed it. It was just by chance I took the car to another station.

I took it back to the garage earlier, they said they would have failed the car and are claiming that I've driven over a pot hole.

I'll take that advice, I'll call their HQ on Monday and see what they say. I'll reply back.

Cheers

Posted: Sat Jun 24th, 2017 11:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
assuming it was visible/accessible at the time of test with the wheel on it shud have failed let alone been advised,they don't rot thru in 4 days.get in contact with them(assuming the above applies)and tell them your contemplating an inverted appeal,they may fix it for nuffin just to save the hassle,an appeal doesn't mean that they'll neccesarily fix it,after all they didn't cause it to be rotten and if they get done on an appeal it reduces their incentive to fix it first.2nd hand axles are about all that's available for em now.this was pretty common on the corsa b+c n/s/r and to be fair to em its easily missed if you aint looking for it.if they aint interested however you need a vt 17 appeal form available from any test station or the dvsa website.let us know how you get on.

Posted: Sat Jun 24th, 2017 10:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
jda8aj

Mana: 
Hi all,

My car passed it's MOT last Monday at Kwik-Fit.

Today when using the boot, I noticed the rear left wheel at a strange angle, pointing inwards towards the top.. I thought maybe the wheel nuts were loose or the big hub nut. As it turns out, there is a massive rust hole in the rear axle and it looks like the rear axle has multiple cracks. The rear axle looks badly corroded in general.

I've owned the car since last September, I've always heard a clunk from the rear but I always thought it was suspension related and an advisory was there for the springs.

My question is, would a 3 inch chole on the rear axle towards the hub count as an advisory at the very least?

Car is now off the off the road, I took it down to the garage earlier and they are claiming they wouldn't have passed it like that.

Cheers

Attachment: IMG_6713.JPG (Downloaded 76 times)

Last edited on Sat Jun 24th, 2017 10:43 am by jda8aj

Current time is 01:54 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Corsa C 2004 rear axle Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems