AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2018 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Hey Ho, Check for:
• damage in windscreen zone A more than 10mm in diameter
• damage in the remainder of the windscreen's swept area more than 40mm in diameter...
Failure for damage is only justified if the damage significantly affects the driver’s view of the road???

Quote 'Morning
As this is a standards issue I have forwarded it to their team for a response.
As I understood it though the extra line was added due to many failures for damage greater than 10mm for example but when in the drivers seat the effect was minimal and the driver had a perfectly good view. So it was difficult to justify a fail.
If you had damage less than 10mm then that size was deemed so small that it would not affect view enough anyway.
But I will await standards response and send on to you.
Regards'

SO THE STANDARD IS?.. Zone A In excess of 10mm but not significantly affecting the driver’s view of the road...Is this then a minor? CAN I advise?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2018 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
its no different to how its always been,theyre just writing it in larger print.we cant stop em driving with dangerous on the ticket,never could,never have,never will.

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2018 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
captaincon

Mana: 
last time I looked it over I noticed a few bits missing like hydraulic hand brake no mention of it maybe they removed it because of the 40 year rule.
I think its going to be interesting for a few months while we get used to it hopefully the training will help when that's live on the 20th of april.
has any one got any suggestions on telling people they can't drive the car with a dangerous defect. How will testing only stations manage maybe we should have a disclaimer poster

Posted: Sat Apr 14th, 2018 12:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
so the moral of this story is build/buy an old kit car with none of the modern rubbish or exempt from it and run it till retirement cos as far as I can tell the regs are designed to make it non viable to run most modern stuff past about 10/12yrs,still by that point I/c engines will probably have been banned anyway and we will all be leasing driverless hydrogen motors.wanted to get into electronics etc when I left school as all the government projections back then said the oil would have run out by now and I figured electric was the obvious alternative and wanted to get in at the ground level,sorta glad it didn't happen now:shock:

Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2018 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
After some 27 years in roadside enforcement I've learned to remain impartial as far as legislation is concerned Paul.

Fair or not this was passed & rubber stamped in 2014 & we have to live with it.

Legislation will continue to include more & more electronics & so called driver aids in future.

For an interesting read try looking up the EU proposals on Anti Tamper legislation on powertrains.

Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2018 06:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Stealth failing an engine management light staying on is not fair on the basis it passes the smoke or emission test what do you think?

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2018 07:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
The New Testing Guide & to quote a Biker 'It doesn't specify what brake fluid should consist of so any fluid you put in that operates the brakes is in that case "brake fluid".
Can of worms anyone ?
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/899994/Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-Stelvio-recall-brake-fluid
"Vehicles with contaminated brake fluid may experience decreased braking performance when depressing the brake pedal. This defect may, in certain cases, cause a vehicle crash without prior warning.

“Decreased brake performance may provide some warning prior to a failure. In the case of brake failure, a warning light will appear on the Electronic Vehicle Information Center providing limited warning.”

Brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative...Defect that from 20th May will no longer cause an MOT test fail

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2018 07:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Defect that no longer cause an MOT test fail: master cylinder cap missing.
New item that you will test from 20 May 2018 are: brake fluid contamination.

THIS IS A CONTRADICTION as brake fluid is hygroscopic & therefore will be contaminated if the cap is missing further & without speculating there would be the potential of an imminent risk of failure if this cap was not in place. How then can a tester be expected to 'Minor' it or advise knowing the role brake fluid plays?..or are they expected to just fail 'Major' or 'Dangerous' it under contamination?

To add salt to injury 'brake fluid level below the minimum mark' is a 'Minor' advise?

Posted: Thu Mar 29th, 2018 07:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Stealth wrote:
So, let's wake this forum up.

Who's had a good read through & what are your opinions ?

Using the current testing method a RfR can have the 'This defect is dangerous' tab ticked. Whats the proviso for this in the new to be..?

Posted: Thu Mar 29th, 2018 06:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
More than a third of drivers unsure if they will pass new-look MOT

https://www.motester.co.uk/more-than-a-third-of-drivers-unsure-if-they-will-pass-new-look-mot/

Posted: Fri Mar 9th, 2018 07:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Diesel Mot Test limit changes

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-trade-information-and-services/mot-trade/mot-trade-news/diesel-mot-test-limit-changes

Posted: Wed Mar 7th, 2018 08:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
This may be of interest

https://www.facebook.com/MotTestingMagazine/

Posted: Mon Feb 26th, 2018 12:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
On comp 2 another radio button under training ‘Practice on any class of vehicle without using slots or recording the outcome’ with the New MOT Manual design being available maybe 4 weeks before going live would be a good

Posted: Sun Feb 25th, 2018 10:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
Eyewatering brake fluid condition gets me

Posted: Sat Feb 24th, 2018 07:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
So, let's wake this forum up.

Who's had a good read through & what are your opinions ?

Current time is 03:31 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations – Need clarification? try here > New MOT Manual. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems