New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New generation testers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2018 04:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
sledge

Mana: 
Well I spoke to a VE. Seems DVSA are completely aware of the situation. They acknowledge it's happening but don't care. Seems it's out of their hands now, so no longer their problem !!!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2018 06:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Ive got concerns about the level of training since it was privatised.

Some of the questions (and answers) on FB from newly qualified testers have to be seen to be believed 😶

Posted: Tue Apr 3rd, 2018 01:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
testers that aint got any experience aint nuffin new,in the early eighties used to work with one who puzzled the s**te out of me cos he knew so little.turned out hed done the full college bit for city and guilds but had only actually worked as a greasemonkey for about 8mnths.another was a manager at the same place,had only ever worked in a garage as either manager/tyre fitter.passed the exam and was a licenced tester for about 15yrs despite being unable to fit so much as pads to his own car.just two amongst dozens ive met,getting a little rarer now thank Christ but theres still plenty out there

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2018 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
sledge

Mana: 
Thanks for your reply Aylesbury Jock. I did have a bit of a look into it and it seems it's the duty of the training body to determine the validity of the entry qualifications and proof of 4 years experience. If this isn't asking for trouble, I don't know what is.

I was also told that the failure rate for the demonstration tests was 65%. I had never heard of anyone failing a demo test before but it seems common now.

I'm waiting to see my local VE and see what he has to say about it too.

Posted: Mon Apr 2nd, 2018 11:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Aylesbury Jock

Mana: 
I must admit I was fairly certain that although you can complete the testers training in a matter of weeks you still had to have 4 years experience working on the vehicle class you are going to test. I suppose the question to be answered is 'do you have to show certificated proof that you have before you are allowed to undertake tester's training?' The other thing is of course with this training being outsourced to commercially driven companies, are they going to turn down the fees if somebody wants to train but has no experience? Who's responsibility is it now, to make sure somebody with new tester's qualifications meets all other criteria to be employed as a tester? The training company? The prospective employer? I am fairly confident DVSA is not going to accept that it's their responsibility. I am glad sledge brought this up. I know it is not something I had even considered, but I will now.

Posted: Thu Mar 29th, 2018 11:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
sledge

Mana: 
Until recently I was working as an agency NT. While filling a post at a garage in Derby, I was told that their regular tester had been "fast tracked" I asked for an explanation and was told that 6 months prior to becoming a NT he had worked for Tesco as a shelf stacker and had no previous experience in the trade. At the time I took it with a pinch of salt but recently I've spoken to a mechanic that has just completed his NT NVQ and he told me their were quite a few candidates with no trade experience on the course. One being a fish & chip shop owner and another being a salesman with his own car lot. I know some of the training providers are crook's (a few years ago I was offered my driver CPC for cash), Has anyone else come across this? If so I think it's a hornets nest that needs kicking!

Current time is 04:40 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Discipline and Compliance – Report problems (or solutions) here | MOT Forum > New generation testers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems