Testing Seat Belts  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 9th, 2019 07:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
if the belts are visible then we are supposed to test em,as stealth says if missing then not.under the previous mot system removal of passenger gear/luggage wasn't required but if its blocking access to belts/seats it now is so if you cud see the belts but couldn't access the seats to test em you would be supposed to refuse to test it unless the owner removed the obstructions.before it wasn't the case.i assume you've had summat similar happen?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 04:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi Anthony & welcome to the forum.

I presume the seats are the type which fold away into the floor, leaving a flat floor/luggage area.

If so, I would consider them to be "occasional seats" which do not require seat belts. The car can be presented for test with the seats folded away, and with the seat belts removed.

Here is a copy & paste extract from the MOT Manual

Seat belts aren't needed for:

seats that are only used when the vehicle is stationary, such as a sofa in the living area of a motor caravan

side facing seats

occasional seats that fold down when not in use

:D

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2019 08:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Anthony-Boon

Mana: 
I have a 7 seat Vauxhall Xafaria vehicle.
I have always left the rear seats down due to using the boot for dogs.
The seatbelts were taken unclipped and put behind the facia of the car, so when I came to sell the car they could be put back.
Could you advise if the seats are not being used is it law that seatbelts must be tested or the seats removed?

Current time is 09:03 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Testing Seat Belts Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems