New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Intentional broken brake pipe  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jul 11th, 2020 08:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul S

Mana: 
ditto..if it were tested in brake rollers that also can put a strain on corroded steel brake pipes in a manner they aint accustomed to.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Jul 10th, 2020 12:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
any chance of a picture?make/model/location perhaps?otherwise all we can do is take our best guess.you mention a copper pipe,they dont corrode typically and are not original fitment on most cars so i would suspect a fitting/fouling/damage problem of some sort.the front suspension check you mention may not have even looked at the pipes,theyre brakes not suspension altho they could have been removed for some suspension repairs.as i previously mentioned its very unusual for the worst cowboy in the world to delibrately sabotage someones brakes purely on the legal implications alone but as mentioned below there is a right of appeal if you are certain that they have done this.you need to be sure that they didnt fail due to existing problems,during normal driving most folks dont press the brakes very hard compared to when we test them and any weak spots show up then.

Posted: Tue Jul 7th, 2020 01:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Paul S

Mana: 
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-an-mot

Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 03:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
morofsky

Mana: 
The last MOT was done 3000 miles ago. Just one advisory

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

Front Headlamp lens slightly defective both (4.1.1 (b) (I)).

This was not mentioned in this mot and brake pipe is the only fault found by them. It is not the hose nor rubber element. It is the copper tube. I understand that you as testers do stress tests but the front suspension was done 600 miles ago to assure that this car will pass the MOT.

This was checked previously by the different mechanic and they have not found issue such as that and you cannot miss that as the fluid is not dripping it is leaking when you use break single time. Have went through the whole report and it was never mentioned that the pipes are corroded or in bad shape. I would notice that the driveway has some marks of oil or other fluid but there was nothing until today.

I am not saying that all test centres are doing this. I just went to the cheap MOT (25pounds for a test) and now I understand why it cost 25. As I said previously. Leak such as this would be noticed as I would feel the difference in braking which was not the case.

I will try and contact for advice with some experts. But my only concern is this car has not much in value (less than 1000) and the involved costs my overtake the efforts and I honestly doubt that will win as even court case may take years until settle. But I don't want to let it go as this is a serious life hazard.

Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 02:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
i havent seen the car but can only speculate,most times a brake pipe goes pop its because its rotten(most likely)/fouling a moving component or badly damaged be it metal or rubber,a basic visual check of the area(its leaking so it shouldnt be hard to spot,get someone to press the brake while you look)will tell you if thats the case or not.part of an mot is pressing the brake,primarily to find problems such as this and also to obtain readings showing the brake efforts.when you drive a car you wont generally press em as hard as we do in the course of this.yes its possible that they deliberately damaged your car but its pretty unlikely.count your lucky stars it popped on them instead of you whilst driving down the road.many vehicles(bmw + mercedes in particular)have pipes which rot behind plastic undertrays which render them invisible and thus get used till they pop as no one testing it will have ever seen em.most popular ones i have had go west are astra fronts,meriva rear crossaxle,merc/bmw rears,mondeo+vectra rears at the subframe/fuel tank areas,renault trafic/vivaro front to rear but there are MANY more.look at the mot history of your vehicle,its available as an online .gov resource.see if theres any mention of corroded brake pipes or covers hindering inspections of same.i personally as a tester have seen dozens and have refused to test dozens more for the same reason,its nothing unusual.finally for your own peace of mind assuming im correct then it wont be the only pipe with problems.ok so you think the testers an idiot?get an independant assessment of the fault,its cause and condition.if by some miracle a tester has been mad enough to delibrately sabotage a random customers brakes they will be able to tell you and at that point you can appeal to the ministry about the testers conduct or indeed call the police as that would be a SERIOUS criminal matter but i can be pretty certain it wont be the case.please post again with better information after finding out all the above.we only test cars,we dont vandalise them.the test is conducted as a basic physical check and the most we do is operate the vehicle controls(in this case the brake pedal)and lift it in the air.none of this should cause a problem unless said pipe was so rotten/damaged/fouling that it was on its last legs anyway in which case if visible you would have failed the test merely on its condition in any case.finally assuming its a modern vehicle its impossible for the brakes to fail completely in a single incident as it has whats called dual circuit brakes so you will have very soft/spongy pedal with a small amount of braking at the very end of its travel operating 1 front + 1 rear brake which while not much beats none at all.please tell us what the actual condition of the failed component is.

Posted: Mon Jul 6th, 2020 10:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
morofsky

Mana: 
This is my first post as I am looking for advice on the problem that happened to me just today.

I went on an MOT check today and my car failed with dangerous defects. The brake pipe was leaking so much that the car ran out of fluid. They said that this was like that when I brought the car when I did 120 miles in the last 2 days and had no issues such as that.

I suspect that they intentionality broke the pipe as they wanted to earn quick cash on me but, this is impossible to drive with a leak like that for more than 10 miles.

I do want to report this to someone as this was purposely done to ground my car.

Current time is 05:11 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Discipline and Compliance - Report problems (or solutions) here | MOT Forum > Intentional broken brake pipe Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems