Percentage for advisory on brake imbalance  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 8th, 2020 02:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
there are some motors prone to this sorta thing most notably corsa d 07-2013 with a few mazdas filling the rest of the podium and the actual fault on these isnt technically the brakes but the abs control module restricting their performance with the added bonus that said fault is(or can be)intermittent/variable in level to the extent that it works fine in the rollers but has died before you get out the workshop door,strip em/check all you like but this particular fault(and its only one example)wont have anything visible,get em checked is all i can suggest

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Sep 7th, 2020 12:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Annclare

Mana: 
Cheers castrolrob

I did manage to speak with the tester after my post, all he can tell me was that he noted 'one side of the front brakes activated before the other'.

I always strip the brakes down, clean and 'replace parts where needed' just prior to my MOT. The discs and pads were replaced exactly a year ago, the day before the previous MOT (same place and tester). They have covered around 2000 miles since. As there was no issue in 2019, I didn't expect any this time as all seemed good, but that's no guarantee !

Its a good reliable garage with a good tester, so I have no issues with the results. I'm just curious to how big a change in the braking efficiency would be required to award me the prize of an advisory :)

Posted: Mon Sep 7th, 2020 11:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
the problem is they changed the rules,if the brake concerned locks(and fronts almost always do) then it passes automatically regardless of imbalance during operation which used to be a fail and thus you end up with the imbalance advise which is all weve got left to warn you with.the threshold for fail is 30%.there aint a threshold for advise so youre best bet is to get someone to drop it in their rollers and see what it reads as your advise could mean anything from knackered/seized/stood up/rusted to someone trying to drum up trade and anything between those two extremes.even the guy who tested it originally will only have the maximum it read and the fact that it either locked or didnt and thats assuming hes still got the relevant check sheet-also not required.

Posted: Mon Sep 7th, 2020 10:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Annclare

Mana: 
Recent MOT had the following advisory :

Front Brakes imbalanced requirements only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (1.2.1 (b) (i))

I know 30% is a fail, but can anybody tell me what the percentage range is between pass and advisory?

I didn't receive the figures for each brake used in the % calculation, thus if I knew the threshold for an advisory, I'll have some clue to how far the imbalance is.

Current time is 01:41 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Percentage for advisory on brake imbalance Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems