board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Seriously concerned about the safety of my car after works and mot pass  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 18th, 2020 06:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
markt

Mana: 
hmm :?
how many testers/mechanics out there turn dashcams off before commencing work or driving them into premises regarding the data protection as stealth mentions? and also privacy issue aswell.
I for one do turn them off whether its right or wrong to.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Nov 16th, 2020 06:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi spider2k9

Unless the garage, and staff, are, or were aware that they were being filmed, and the footage published on social media, there are potential Data Protection implications for the Forum. Consequently your post has been edited to remove the link to the video footage.

Posted: Mon Nov 16th, 2020 05:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
unfortunately this site is primarily concerned with mot pass/fail criteria,what you descibe(repairs/rectification) is beyond our remit without actually seeing the vehicle/repairs etc which is obviously not possible.your first port of call has to be the garage/s concerned if you have concerns about the repairs/test or failing that an independant inspection by some neutral 3rd party.if it turns out that there are major deficiencies in the test then there is a statutory right of appeal or with the repairs trading standards.all this is obviously dependant on you getting no joy from them in the first instance and assuming there are problems with any of the above.good luck.

Posted: Sun Nov 15th, 2020 10:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
spider2k9

Mana: 
Hello.
Ive recently had my car mot'd. The first test it failed on :-

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Offside Rear Inner Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
Repair immediately (major defects):
Nearside Rear Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))
Offside Front Outer Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (6.1.7 (g) (ii))
Offside Front Wheel bearing rough when rotated (5.1.3 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Steering rack gaiter missing or no longer prevents the ingress of dirt boot hanging off (2.1.3 (g) (ii))

I took it to a garage to get fixed. In total I spent just over £300 with mot and repairs.

When I was driving away, about a minute in, the car suddenly made a really loud groaning sort of sound. It only appears to happen after I turn right ever so slightly, and it stops when i straighten up or brake.

Now I haven't driven it much (maybe a few miles) as I use a van for work and the lockdown means I cant drive anywhere anyway!

What I did was, use my dashcam to save a recording of the noise, so i could take it back to the garage to play so they can listen with the hopes of them knowing what it is.
Well, I was curious what happens in an mot, so went through the files and what I heard has seriously made me concerned.

Ive uploaded a video with the relevant conversations heard (primarily my brakes). At one point in the conversation you can hear "what have they done to it" "Thats way off (break test?)" and the worst of all "mate them f***** breaks are evil!!"

The mot tester told the mechanic who picked it up to check the pipe or bleed it or something, and then started to say "just make sure you..." and then the other guy talks so I cant hear what is said.
Well, the guy literally drove it to the garage, parked it up and they never looked at it again.

Last edited on Mon Nov 16th, 2020 06:08 am by Stealth

Current time is 04:54 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Seriously concerned about the safety of my car after works and mot pass Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems