AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Nov 6th, 2021 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
markie76

Mana: 
Paul S wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum,
Am a class 4 tester & your question is for class 1,2 & 3 so its the thought that counts..
Paul

Hi Paul, Thank you for your reply. :)

Stealth wrote:
Hi & welcome to the forum.
The design of, and MOT rules for motorcycle headlamps are different from the car test. The motorcycle requirements state...

"On twin headlamp systems, one or both headlamps may operate on either beam"

However, from your post, switching appears to be intermittent, which may need investigating before test.

Hi Stealth, Thank you for your reply. :)

Yes I've seen that on large/sports motorbikes as they tend to have different design/shaped headlights for each function.

The headlights on this scooter are a mirror image of each other with the same numbers on the back (maybe P/N) and same LED bulb wattage ratings stamped on the back.
Manually applying 12v then trying 15v to them seems to produce the same intensity beam from both light clusters at the same angle. The mountings seem identical as well.
So this is why it's puzzling.

I have investigated the intermittent switching which seems to be a feature of 'Chinese' build quality & materials.
Non-moisture proof connectors with weak/no interlocking features on the blades.
I have removed some corrosion and re-bent connectors but I think I will replace with waterproof connectors and maybe even directly rewire the switch/relay & light clusters.

I'll let you know what happens. :D

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Nov 1st, 2021 11:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Mark apologises for us having you as a newbie. see you have posted before

otherwise concur with Stealth

Posted: Mon Nov 1st, 2021 11:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi & welcome to the forum.

The design of, and MOT rules for motorcycle headlamps are different from the car test. The motorcycle requirements state...

"On twin headlamp systems, one or both headlamps may operate on either beam"

A number of manufacturers now fit seperate designs of twin headlamps arrangements, with one lamp for dip & one for main beam which switch on or off when main or dipped beam is selected. For example the left hand headlamp is dipped beam only, right hand is main beam only. The (left hand) dipped beam lamp will switch off when main beam is selected & the (right hand) main beam will switch on, and vice versa. This is acceptable by design and for MOT.

However, from your post, switching appears to be intermittent, which may need investigating before test.

Posted: Wed Oct 27th, 2021 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Am a class 4 tester & your question is for class 1,2 & 3 so its the thought that counts..

At the time of test the high beams or both low beams will have to work when switched. Moving the dip switch must extinguish all main beam headlamps & deflect the main beams to make them dipped beams if one headlamp is fitted it must dip
if 2 are fitted, either both must dip or one must dip and the other switch off
Cant find reference in the inspection manual to the 'PASS' momentary switch but reading the above wouldn't of thought its a problem.

Please let us know the outcome of the test,

Paul

Posted: Thu Oct 21st, 2021 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
markie76

Mana: 
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2018 125 automatic scooter with twin LED headlight clusters.
They have a DLR which is on all the time.

The low beam is only working on one side.

Similarly when switching to the high beam; majority of the time the low beam turns off and the high beam (I think) on the other side turns on.

Sometimes both high beams or both low beams work.

When I press the 'PASS' momentary switch (spring loaded) the low beam turns off (if it is on) and the light on the other side turns on.

What are the chances of this scooter passing its first MOT?

Thanks,

Mark

Current time is 03:36 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Bike Testing -  Ask bike Testers about bike Testing | MOT Forum > Scooter headlight requirements... Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems