Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Website

Autotech Training Services

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer  
AuthorPost
Spongebob

Mana: 
Zero drift errors mean your machine is clogged up with soot. Our old one was bad for it despite being able to calibrate it whilst mucky, it only takes one bad car to bung the system up. Our new one is a Boston machine and has two lenses which occasionally need taking out and wiping with a clean rag, the good thing is you can tell from the reading on the screen if it's going to throw a wobbly and usually whipping out a lense acts as a quick fix. Not sure about snap on one despite having it demo'd but I would've thought whoever sold you it or installed would've given a demo on keeping it clean.

Also found with this one if you test it at slightly below 80 degrees and it fails it goes onto a second test and asks you to get the engine up to 80 degrees.

By rights you should be repeating the test as what proof do you have that the car has failed to meet the required limits?

Rebel
Trade Member

Mana: 
My DSM is an older one which needs a minimum of three revs and a maximum of six to go through the test procedure and give a result.

Occasionally the warm up / purge / six revs procedure will fill the workshop with thick black smoke (no extraction equipment here), and give six readings of 8.00+, and then give a 'zero drift' message rather than a pass / fail result.

In this situation I am unwilling to do it again as it is always going to fail.

Remember, whatever the metered test result, petrol or diesel, you always have the option of failing for clearly exsessive visual exhaust smoke of any colour.

Considering our DSM has to be replaced by the end of this year, my (tight) boss is not wanting to spend any money on it.

DC

Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
dear all,

to fail them with an intermittent equipment fault, is surely not the presenters issue?

surely they, the presenters, deserve a second attempt/second opinion?

and on second attempt it obviously passes as it should have first time? normally on newer vehicles "Fast Pass". 

we have two DGA 2500`s registered, older one is live readings via pipe and new one is via bluetooth.

Bluetooth is now our main analyser and pipe version our secondary backup analyser. We have more issues with the bluetooth analyser than the older pipe version.

Wes.;)

ps; where`s your printout on fail?

Last edited on Sun Mar 16th, 2008 01:10 am by Wesley

miket

Mana: 
i would too rebel where a zero drift fail to calibrate and all readings are high .. but  the new equipment snap on are kickin out should be up to the job .. seems the dga "cloggs" on high readings , ive even had it not read any result on newer cleaner cars .. seems to have its own mind!!! in that respect you gotta  pass em

Rebel
Trade Member

Mana: 
My DSM sometimes gives a 'zero drift' warning where it should print pass or fail.
This only happens when readings are very high.
I don't bother to repeat the tast, I just treat it as a fail.

DC

miket

Mana: 
we had ours nearly two years and i mention it to the tech who calibrates every time but never seems to improve,only does it on readings of 5.0+, the old snap on dsa was far better than this one.:?

Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Yeah, we got one of those, Second attempt works fine, awaiting visit from local Tech rather than paying Call Out Fees. Sorry not had this one long and will have to wait till June. lol.;)

miket

Mana: 
class iv snap on dga 2500 smoke tester giving excess drift readings and void prints?

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems