New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Massive loophole.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Aug 13th, 2007 10:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
motorwise

Mana: 
Weetabix wrote: A simple answer to all of this is to ask for payment up front.

After all, the customer has booked it in for an MOT and should expect to pay for the test.

If they decline to pay, then don't do the test, simple!

I agree with this and then if there's a problem with the car that causes the test to be abandoned (burst brake pipe during test for instance) then you've already got the money you're entitled to

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Jun 23rd, 2007 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Weetabix

Mana: 
A simple answer to all of this is to ask for payment up front.

After all, the customer has booked it in for an MOT and should expect to pay for the test.

If they decline to pay, then don't do the test, simple!

Posted: Sat Jun 23rd, 2007 01:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
911mot

Mana: 
One of our testers issued an MOT when the car needed a tyre (He  forgot to click the RFR's). The customer said he would get tyre elsewhere and needed a failure.  We called the helpline and they said re MOT it and issue a fail, that will override the existing valid test. 

In the case of non-payment maybe something like that could be done. Maybe register it for the test and then abort the test using 'customer refused to pay in advance when asked'. Not sure if that will negate the existing test if it was a pass though...

Last edited on Sat Jun 23rd, 2007 01:36 pm by 911mot

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 09:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
-Hi avocco

As far as I know only the issuing station can issue a duplicate now, or the the local Vosa office, But as you rightly say one the certificate is issued the MOT is valid.

There should be a method to cancel them if they don't pay. After all it's theft.

Kev

Posted: Tue Jun 19th, 2007 09:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
avocco

Mana: 
Im not too sure im on the right assumtions or not, but if your referring to vehicles being passed at your MOT station and said person saying they have no money and saying they will come back for the MOT, the loop hole is still there.

Considering you have already passed the vehicle, all the owner has to do is take his log book to another MOT station and with his registration and V5 reference number on the log book be able to obtain a duplicate.

The best way around this problem at your MOT station is to have the owner leave the vehicle there till he gets the money for the test. We have probably got around 60 MOTs lying in our office that are waiting to be picked up by people who have forgotten to bring any money, this dates back to August 2006 I believe.

I believe we should have a function placed on the computers which allow us to stall the test in the system till payment is received, I.e pass the vehicle, but not let any other MOT station issue duplicates on this stalled test, untill full payment is made at the original VTS where it was done.

Last edited on Tue Jun 19th, 2007 09:06 pm by avocco

Posted: Tue May 29th, 2007 07:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Everyone will be pleased to here that only the issuing VTS can issue a duplicate now, so the "loophole" is gone.

Kev

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 05:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
tilleeslandrovercentre

Mana: 
KevG sent you a pm.

Lee.

Posted: Wed Oct 18th, 2006 08:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
motmac

Mana: 
KevG wrote: Hi.

It occurred to me yesterday that there is a BIG potential problem with the system.

I don't want to go into details for obvious reasons, but it involves duplicate certificates.

PM me if youu want more details or if you've figured it out too!

Kev

yep and its happening allready! people have got wise to it very quickly.will pm soon.

Posted: Tue Oct 17th, 2006 12:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Weetabix

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote: wot the hell is pm me?im new to this computer lark.e mail is castrolrob@ntl world.com.only started using computer to get  ready 4 computerisation of mot,if id known how basic the system wos then probably wouldnt have bothered!still,my typing skills are picking up!

PM me = "send me a Personal Message"

click on the person's name to the left of their posted message & then click 'send a personal message'

or for a quicker method in this instance, click this link:

http://www.motester.co.uk/forums/pm.php?send_to=KevG

Last edited on Tue Oct 17th, 2006 12:51 am by

Posted: Mon Oct 16th, 2006 08:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
wot the hell is pm me?im new to this computer lark.e mail is castrolrob@ntl world.com.only started using computer to get  ready 4 computerisation of mot,if id known how basic the system wos then probably wouldnt have bothered!still,my typing skills are picking up!

Posted: Fri Oct 13th, 2006 12:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
As I Said PM me.

Not The problem tyour talking about,

Don't dsiscuss this on a public forum!

Posted: Thu Oct 12th, 2006 10:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
Which problem are you talking about?have already had a member of the travelling community refuse to pay,took his old style mot to a different station and got replacement (mate works there )not permitted to charge for replacements so got free MOT. Can charge for mot in advance so not VOSA's problem and wont b issue when old mots run out.

Posted: Thu Oct 12th, 2006 05:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi.

It occurred to me yesterday that there is a BIG potential problem with the system.

I don't want to go into details for obvious reasons, but it involves duplicate certificates.

PM me if youu want more details or if you've figured it out too!

Kev

Current time is 07:52 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > Massive loophole. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems