New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Retests  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 4th, 2009 10:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Vehicle Assessor

Mana: 
KevG wrote: Rob, The text has been removed.

V.A.Please do not offend other users. Read your posts before hitting the send button please!

Now as someone once said, "Keep it Professinal"
And " Lets be careful out there"

Kev

Kev whatever I said was not meant to be offensive, I can't remember now what was said, but if you can please send me a private email to advise me then i don't make the same mistake.

Sorry Rob

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Feb 4th, 2009 08:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
No Rob you didn't misunderstand, the facts just got a bit distorted over the length of the thread.
No worries
Kev

Posted: Wed Feb 4th, 2009 08:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
this was what i said originally...sorry if its caused offence but i am correct in what i said,youre liable for the parts of the test that you conduct,if someone else missed something that you didnt have to retest its not your fault.sorry,did i misunderstand or summat?

Posted: Wed Feb 4th, 2009 07:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
PS. I had an appeal against me two years ago in my previous job, It was a partial retest.
There was an inadequate repair on the rear chassis.
I had retested the vehicle which my colleague had only failed on smoke. Anyway the customer filed an inverted appeal for another reason, it was retested on appeal and failed on said repair.

Upshot was i had done right, when I tested the failed items then issued a VT20.

I got no points, my boss did get some of course.

So if its a partial, no need to test again its not your A++e at stake.

Kev

standing by for reply in 3....2....1...

Posted: Wed Feb 4th, 2009 07:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Rob, The text has been removed.

V.A.Please do not offend other users. Read your posts before hitting the send button please!

Now as someone once said, "Keep it Professinal"
And " Lets be careful out there"

Kev

Posted: Wed Feb 4th, 2009 07:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
i can only please one person per day.today is not your day.tomorrow aint looking good either...as for poor quality written post im sorry you feel that my grammar is inadaquate for your needs.i was under the impression that we is here to offer advice etc to the public/other testers,it was obviously legible enough for you to take offence...

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Vehicle Assessor

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote: dont alter the fact that you examine as i explained below.its vosas requirements(not ours)and the regs they give us is what we abide by.master assessor is talking out of his ares.just because they say thats the case dont make it so,stop making it up as you go along.we all have their(vosa)regs on our vts devices.any court in the land will back you up if you can show them you did as requested/required according to the information given,just because vosa scared you doesnt mean that they even(faintly)worry me.

I wrote;

The minimum is that you check ALL failed items, plus anything that could be affected by those failed items, plus any advisory items.

VOSA would probably want a tester to recheck the lighting and signalling as a matter of course. If the vehicle has completed a substancial mileage since its initial test, it would be advisable to carry out a full brake test again.

A tester needs to remember that when issuing a test certificate that every test item on the vehicle meets the minimum criteria at the time the certificate is issued. A tester is completely free to recheck any items on a retest, VOSA impose no restrictions.

There is nothing wrong with what I have said here, the first sentence is exactly what the testers manual says, one just needs to read it. The last sentence sums it up in bold.

When I was on the last seminar and spoke openly with regards retests, the person VE or trainer giving the presentation at the time said they would like testers to do what I mentioned in the second paragraph, so all i have done is said what was said to me from the Trainer, VE. "I said VOSA would PROBABLY want" Not everything is written but common sense must previal,(*************OFFENSIVE TEXT REMOVED BY MODERATOR***********)

One person asked about brake tests when the vehicle returned for retest after a considerable mileage covered since initial test, say 300 miles (my example), me I would carry out a brake test, others may choose not to, that is up to each individual tester. At the end of the day if a serious problem occured after test and VOSA got involved, the tester would say as always "I wished I had just done it", your choice?

Keep it professional

Last edited on Wed Feb 4th, 2009 07:31 pm by KevG

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
dont alter the fact that you examine as i explained below.its vosas requirements(not ours)and the regs they give us is what we abide by.master assessor is talking out of his ares.just because they say thats the case dont make it so,stop making it up as you go along.we all have their(vosa)regs on our vts devices.any court in the land will back you up if you can show them you did as requested/required according to the information given,just because vosa scared you doesnt mean that they even(faintly)worry me.

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 07:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
dazthetester

Mana: 
i must admit i agree with vehicle assessor. at the station i work at i only do retests on vehicles i tested first.if the ae/owner (who is not a tester)asks me to do a retest on a car i did not test first i book the car on the computer as a full retest.

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 04:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Vehicle Assessor

Mana: 
anno hunt wrote: castrolrob wrote: not quite,if you retest a car then you test any failures/related items/advisories.there is no requirement to examine anything else.if worst came to worst you would be liable only for the points you were required to examine.anything missed on the previous test would be a liability for the tester concerned(if different)

It has been my experience that this is not the case.

If you place a vt20 on any car you have said that car is safe for the road. Example, i did a re-test, it failed on lights and a tyre (i did not do the original teat, they where away). The coustmer was a trader that sold the car. the new owner then took a dislike to the trader and appealed against the MOT and i was taken to the appeal not the orignal tester, as i was the tester that produced the VT20.

So again, when you put a vt20 on a car you are saying ALL aspects are ok for the road not just the re-tested itiems. if you where not the original tester.

I have to say that I agree with anno hunt here although at our station we do retest our own vehicles we initially tested. My original post here was based on information I had from VOSA at the time which was not my opinion.

Posted: Sun Jan 25th, 2009 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
anno hunt

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote: not quite,if you retest a car then you test any failures/related items/advisories.there is no requirement to examine anything else.if worst came to worst you would be liable only for the points you were required to examine.anything missed on the previous test would be a liability for the tester concerned(if different)

It has been my experience that this is not the case.

If you place a vt20 on any car you have said that car is safe for the road. Example, i did a re-test, it failed on lights and a tyre (i did not do the original teat, they where away). The coustmer was a trader that sold the car. the new owner then took a dislike to the trader and appealed against the MOT and i was taken to the appeal not the orignal tester, as i was the tester that produced the VT20.

So again, when you put a vt20 on a car you are saying ALL aspects are ok for the road not just the re-tested itiems. if you where not the original tester.

Posted: Sat Jan 24th, 2009 10:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
not quite,if you retest a car then you test any failures/related items/advisories.there is no requirement to examine anything else.if worst came to worst you would be liable only for the points you were required to examine.anything missed on the previous test would be a liability for the tester concerned(if different)

Posted: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Vehicle Assessor

Mana: 
motorhead wrote: so if a car returns back for a retest on the 10th day with an extra 8k on the clock, we still only check the failed items?

The minimum is that you check ALL failed items, plus anything that could be affected by those failed items, plus any advisory items. VOSA would probably want a tester to recheck the lighting and signalling as a matter of course. If the vehicle has completed a substancial mileage since its initial test, it would be advisable to carry out a full brake test again.

A tester needs to remember that when issuing a test certificate that every test item on the vehicle meets the minimum criteria at the time the certificate is issued. A tester is completely free to recheck any items on a retest, VOSA impose no restrictions.

Posted: Fri Jan 23rd, 2009 12:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
motorhead
Trade Member

Mana: 
so if a car returns back for a retest on the 10th day with an extra 8k on the clock, we still only check the failed items?

Posted: Thu Jan 8th, 2009 09:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
anno hunt

Mana: 
Hi there,

If a vehicle come back for a re-test within the 10 working days of a test you did, you can do a partial re-test.

go to, Register Vehicle For Test > go down 1 to partial re-test, and follow the on screen prompts.

As for the RBT if you failed it on the brakes or any thing that might affect the breaks during the repairs the you will need to do anouther brake test.

If still confused look at your mot manual.

Hope this helps

anno.

Posted: Thu Jan 8th, 2009 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
motorhead
Trade Member

Mana: 
When a vehicle comes back for a retest within the 10 day deadline we can run it through the system as a partial retest!

On the vts devise i assume we have to go through the

Register Vehicle For Test > Normal MOT test or Full Retest

Do we have to do a RBT again or do we log the same results as its previous test?

Also if one was to have a high failure rate, wouldnt that show on the assessments as as shorter time for doing tests as alot of retests will have gone back through with 5, 10 minutes etc etc? and this might affect the yearly assessment on average tests times?

or am i getting it wrong

Last edited on Thu Jan 8th, 2009 12:58 pm by motorhead

Current time is 07:53 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > Retests Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems